Plane crashes into homes in San Diego, Ca

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by Bender Aviation, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Hengelo

Hengelo Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Hengelo
    azpilot likes this.
  2. Albany Tom

Albany Tom Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    Perdue has some good stuff. He did a bit on the battle of Midway from a more modern tactical perspective, and it was pretty interesting.

There are a couple of people doing the 1970's weather format. Middle aged guy flying the plane, blonde girl in the short skirt along for the visual effect. I don't understand that one. If wanted to watch girls, I'd do that. If I wanted to watch mediocre airplane flying, I'd go through the list of symptoms of possible stroke.

3. LesGawlik

LesGawlik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Les
    I don't think the article is correct, but I haven't seen proof it is wrong.

4. Mikey B

Mikey B Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Mike
    It's hard to prove a negative. I'd rather require him to prove it's true, since it goes against what the overwhelming majority of the medical and public health community says.

But for starters, his willingness to believe (or just lie to his readers about) that "cockpit video" certainly calls his veracity into question.

And IBTL.

azpilot and Vincent Becker like this.
  5. Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    vinnybecker
    Proving something wrong shouldn’t be a requirement, it should have to be proved to be correct. Especially with the connection he’s making that somehow a vaccine caused a plane crash.

azpilot likes this.
  6. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    I consider all of those guys entertainment, and no more. Because that's what they are. And I don't always trust the result of the official investigation, either.

7. Hengelo

Hengelo Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Hengelo
    Proving the nonexistence of a thing is a logical impossibility.

azpilot and Vincent Becker like this.
  8. Albany Tom

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    Absolutely true. But I'm probably not likely to hire someone who tells me their ancestors settled the United States from another planet, flown in by rocket ships shaped like DC-8's. :)

azpilot likes this.
  9. Flying Keys

Flying Keys Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Flying Keys
    My CFI instructor taught me to have the student put their head down, close their eyes, and nod slowly throughout, which can induce a Coriolis illusion. Holy crap did it work on me.

10. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B

“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.” - Carl Sagan

DogoPilot and Vincent Becker like this.
  11. asicer

asicer Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    asicer
    I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I purposely ignored my sense of balance, braced my elbow on the armrest and flew using finger pressure and mental timing. I'd bet that if the DPE had messed with the trim or gently nudged his yoke/rudder that it would have been enough to throw me off.

12. LesGawlik

LesGawlik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Les
    So you're saying that the manufacturer of the vaccine could never show that there was no statistical correlation between taking the vaccine and adverse consequences? Good to know.

13. SoCal 182 Driver

SoCal 182 Driver Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    SoCal 182 Driver
    Don't start this...please. Not here, anyway.

14. Albany Tom

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    From my RC flying days, with trainers or simple planes, if you lose orientation of the plane, let go of the stick. The plane will fly itself. So when I was asked to do the look down and fly the plane without looking, I just held the yoke with fingertip pressure and let the plane fly itself. There weren't any gusts, so that worked fine. Instructor had to induce a problem by taking control. It led me to believe that in an actual partial panel situation, that less is more. Over-control seems much more likely to cause a problem, to me, than under.

15. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Alas, that quote is not original to Carl Sagan. In fact, he attributed it to space historian James Oberg. Sagan's actual quote: Keeping an open mind is a virtue—but, as the space engineer James Oberg once said, not so open that your brains fall out.

However, the essentially the same quote goes back at least to 1937(Sagan was born in 1934, Oberg in 1944) where it was part of a commencement speech by Holyoke College professor Walter Kotschig. It however, is felt the at the saying had been floating around before he coined it as well.

Palmpilot likes this.
  16. Boundary Waters

Boundary Waters Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    It's easiest just to assume that EVERYTHING said by media talking heads is wildly inaccurate.

Albany Tom, kyleb and Omalley1537 like this.
  17. Boundary Waters

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." -- Attributed to King David (1010–970 BC)

18. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    This is how I approach the media. I took my first flying lesson 26 years ago. I have been employed as a pilot for 22 of those years. I consider myself to be, at the minimum, literate in aviation knowledge.

I’m still waiting for a reporter to discuss anything Aviation related with even a hint of accuracy. Alas it never happens. Doesn’t matter what they are talking about it’s clearly misinformed, poorly written and misunderstood by who ever wrote the teleprompter script.

My assumption when watching news about a topic without subject matter expertise is that the reporter is doing the same quality work as when aviation is the subject. Interestingly enough friends that are informed in other fields have confirmed the same observation when asked.

Want me to laugh in your face during a conversation… quote a bobble head from a U.S. media company. They should all be treated as entertainers.

19. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I think that approach runs the risk of throwing the baby out with the bath water. How about "trust, but verify"?

20. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    If you verify, you have to go to a source other than the “news” media. That’s just misinformation.

21. Boundary Waters

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    As an engineer by profession, the media get about 8% correct with regards to stories I have subject matter knowledge in-- peripheria like what day it was and where it was located. Years ago I sent Wikipedia a documented correction of a misconception. The reply I got back was basically, "you might be correct, you have a Masters Degree in the subject and I do not, but my answer is easier to understand. So thanks, but no thanks."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Omalley1537 likes this.
  22. Palmpilot

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I have seen it happen. "Never say never."

How about quoting subject-matter experts that they interview? Some of the media people who conduct such interviews do so without interrupting or arguing with them.

23. Palmpilot

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I don't think it's possible to reliably make that judgment without looking at the sources they're relying on.

24. Boundary Waters

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    Totally disagree...

Airplanes do not fall out of the sky when the engine quits. Guns don't shoot people without human beings manipulating their controls. Big hands do not come from the sky and smite people. Most humans look after their own interests-- but don't truly give a rats a** about anything else. Things engineers design with specific components (look at the HUGE paper trail on the M-16 rifle in Vietnam) where the assembler varies from the specifications cannot be assumed to perform as the test showed... These are facts, not fiction.

What the media promulgates is PURE FICTION.

Sure, it often corrolates with fact. But that is coincidence.

While (as my stock broker says) past performance is not a guarantee. Where 92% of everything you have heard from "Dave"* is wildly inaccurate BS, what sane person puts credence in what Dave has to say?

*Apologies to those named Dave, it was just the first name I came up with.

Albany Tom likes this.
  25. Palmpilot

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    OK, how about "distrust, but verify"?

Making blanket assumptions about the truth or falsity of any media report is unlikely to have a reliable correlation with reality.

RandSmedley likes this.
  26. Boundary Waters

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    That's more like it. :) If it's important to me... Otherwise track record speaks... 92% BS.

RandSmedley likes this.
  27. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I must be the victim of misinformation.

28. Palmpilot

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I'm sure we all are, to some degree.

People needs tools for sorting fact from fiction. I don't think saying that it's all fiction is going to help.

29. luvflyin

luvflyin Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    That’s ok. Dave’s not here.

Tarheelpilot and Zeldman like this.
  30. Boundary Waters

Display name:
    Luscombe Driver
    You have just made all members of the news media completely irrelevant.

In my job if I must double check all of the numbers (facts) given to me by an associate, assistant, intern (been there, done that, got the tee shirt) then I am hindered, not helped, by having an associate, assistant, intern.

Bill likes this.
  31. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    As @Boundary Waters said, if you have to sort facts from fiction, the news media is irrelevant, which makes them a giant hole for sucking oxygen that can be better used elsewhere.

RandSmedley and Bill like this.
  32. Palmpilot

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    For the purpose of educating the public about aviation issues, better used where? Certainly there are more authoritative sources, but they generally don't reach a wide audience without the assistance of the media.

In any case, I don't think there's any hope of stopping them from covering subjects of public interest.

33. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    If those sources don’t generally reach a wide audience, “verify” becomes irrelevant, regardless of whether “trust” or “distrust” is the basis.

34. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    The media's ability to cover aviation, already a sensitive topic for many, is on the same level as a news headline saying "Patriots win Superbowl" and then put a picture of the Bruins holding the Stanley Cup. They carry that same general lack of vetting, truth, and intense misleading sensationalism in all their reporting

Sadly.. there's no real way to hold the media accountable. If you express distrust in what they report you're automatically labeled. It's a vicious cycle.

As far as reliable sources of aviation news and happenings, there are several, blancolirio for one, on YouTube, happens to be among the best. Maybe next time there's an accident CNN can invite Juan Brown on instead of reporting trash like this

upload_2021-10-19_12-20-8.png

Vincent Becker likes this.
  35. dreyna14

dreyna14 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Daniel
    Gel-Mann amnesia is what you're referring to. I tend to disbelieve a good portion of things any media reports on.

36. asicer

asicer Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    asicer
    I think we're at about 2.5 turns, the aileron is still cranked over and nobody's stepped on the right rudder pedal yet.

Daleandee and Tantalum like this.
  37. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    I had never heard of that before and enjoyed some reading on the subject. You are correct. It is exactly what I’m talking about and now I can quote a really smart person so it seems legitimate in conversation. Thank you.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

38. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I see what you did there.

39. Daleandee

Daleandee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    Well .. let's get that throttle in some more ... :D

40. mryan75

mryan75 Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    mryan75
    I don't say this lightly, but this might literally be the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. I find it hard to believe that a human being with the neurological capability of sustaining life unaided could actually put those words to paper with a straight face. Dan Gryder made this point while insisting about 5 times that he wasn't making this point. I sincerely hope this was posted to show how ridiculous some people can be, because this is patently absurd.