Plane Crash In Bonita Springs, FL (1/22/18) (Daniel Bernath / aka danielabernath)

pretty much the only surprising thing in that report to me is that there's an rv with Vno of 108? I thought those things were lil rocket ships....

Hmmm.... Interesting. Seems like the plane would have been in the 45 degree dive and roll to the right before the wing departed, yet the report indicates that the breakup is what caused the crash. So what cause the dive?

The detailed report found no fuel anywhere. Did he run out of gas, as on a previous flight?

I’m also perplexed by this sentence:

It would have been the pilot's responsibility to report any medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport pilot operations to the FAA; however, he did not do so
.​

What responsibility does a SP have to report a medical deficiency? Self ground, yes. But report? That’s news to me.

pretty much the only surprising thing in that report to me is that there's an rv with Vno of 108? I thought those things were lil rocket ships....

RV 9 VNO is around 118 or so knots and RV12 is 108 - you must be either thinking about VNE or 6Gs RV models (6,7 and 8)

Probably had to fit within the definition of light sport aircraft, i.e., unable to exceed 120 knots in level flight.

That report... What a freaking train wreck. Seemed like there were at least a dozen reasons that guy shouldn't have been in a cockpit before you even get to his obviously poor judgement, and he took a perfectly good airplane on a nice day and managed to wreck it.

Back