Plane collides with drone in Canada....

I wonder if birds refer to it as an aircraft-strike.

Well, first of all, the bird would have to survive long enough to file a report with the FAA. Despite the FAA's assurances that they perform thorough investigations, I've never seen them include the bird's testimony regarding a strike, and the FAA hasn't even listed birds in the right-of-way hierarchy. Everyone is quick to blame the geese for the Miracle on the Hudson, but no one pauses to consider their point of view, or that the geese had no survivors. Who was the real victim?

Well, first of all, the bird would have to survive long enough to file a report with the FAA. Despite the FAA's assurances that they perform thorough investigations, I've never seen them include the bird's testimony regarding a strike, and the FAA hasn't even listed birds in the right-of-way hierarchy. Everyone is quick to blame the geese for the Miracle on the Hudson, but no one pauses to consider their point of view, or that the geese had no survivors. Who was the real victim?
Some of the geese may not have been hit, so there could have been geese that survived.

Some of the geese may not have been hit, so there could have been geese that survived.

If there were, they were subsequently gassed by the Government and forever silenced, along with their offspring.

From Wikipedia,
In an effort to prevent similar accidents, officials captured and gassed 1,235 Canada geese at 17 locations across New York City in mid-2009 and coated 1,739 goose eggs with oil to smother the developing goslings.[66]

If this is SOP for the USG, any problems with drone pilots may end soon.

That was a bird brained post if I ever saw one.

;)

This thread reminded me of an 'interaction' I had with a RC plane back in 1970.
Flying an Aeronca Champ along the rail road tracks, heading south out of Sacramento to Franklin field, probably at about 1000'. Looked over to the left and there was this RC plane about 150 ' off our wing flying along with us. Looked down and saw the guys flying it in a school yard. Made a fake bank towards the plane and they took it down fast;-)

Back