Places I want to fly to...

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Places I want to fly to before I get old(er)...

Denver to Grand Marais, MN to visit a cousin who has a C-182 amphib. Stops in Custer SD for coffee with mom and dad; Wall SD for coffee with aunt and uncle; Fulda MN for dinner with aunt and uncle; Ely MN for 2-3 days of canoeing, fishing, camping with 3rd cousins. At Grand Marais, talk the cousin into a day trip to Isle Royale.

Denver to Port Angeles, WA to visit my brother who runs a big boat for Clean Sound, Inc. Stops in Coeur d'Alene ID for coffee/dinner with a friend; Post Falls ID for drinks/overnight with an old (er than me) Navy buddy. At Port Angeles, as many days fishing as we can both stand.

Denver to St. Louis for weekend with old (younger than me) Navy buddy/best man at my wedding.

Denver to Hemet CA for weekend with the in-laws.

Since my wife just can't handle GA travel, looks like she'll have to buy her own commercial ticket to meet me at any of these destinations she wants to go to.

I'd like to make a cross continent trip, NC to anywhere on the west coast.

NC to the Bahamas, or any Carribian location.

Canada would be another location I'd like to aviate too.

Toby and I have a dream of flying our taildraggers in formation from coast to coast landing on only grass/dirt runways. All we need is money and time. :)

During my birthday week this year (plus the weekends on each end) I am think I will either make a western loop, or eastern loop originating from here in Michigan. I've been to every state between the Rockies and NY except for Kansas and Oklahoma. So my May trip will either grab ID, WA, NV, UT, NM, CO, OK and KS or it will be a DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME thing.

I want to go San Diego to East Port Maine, San Diego to Barrow Alaska, and San Diego to Key West Florida.

Hoping to fly from Spokane to York, PA this late Spring or early Summer to help my buddy get his 7KCAB Citabria to it's new home there.

If I'm lucky, may be able to get my tailwheel endorsement during the trip... Oh wait - then I won't have a tw plane in which to use it! Dang...

Alaska, preferably multiple unpaved airstrips there.

I'd have said a coast-to-coast flight, but I'm going to do that this summer.:D

Judy

judypilot said:
I'd have said a coast-to-coast flight, but I'm going to do that this summer.:D

Judy

Hey Judy, that sounds like fun. What will be your route? Are you flying your 182?

I forgot about the Reno Air Races... gotta get to Reno one of these years!

Some of us had put together a few Must See places on the web at
http://webpages.charter.net/carolt/placestogo.html
Don't click on it, its a dead link now... Carol! That was a pretty good list I think.
I would like to circumnavigate the cont. US but I bet that would be a very long trip.
Wait, I saved the list a couple of times:

Tierra Del Fuego. Absolutely.
Baffin Island in August. Hmmmn. Note to self: Avgas is hard to get there.

Let'sgoflying! said:

The attachments were rejected apparently. If anyone wants to see them, pls write.

Let's see, Alaska, Maine, Arizona, Colorado, Pacific Northwest. All are on my Like to visit list.

Mark

Let'sgoflying! said:
Some of us had put together a few Must See places on the web at
http://webpages.charter.net/carolt/placestogo.html
Don't click on it, its a dead link now... Carol! That was a pretty good list I think.
I would like to circumnavigate the cont. US but I bet that would be a very long trip.

It's back up now. Sorry about that. I needed the server space for a project I was working on.

I've landed in 35 states. I'd like to make that 49. It would take me two cross countries, one out west and one to New England. Don't think I could get the Comanche to Hawaii without some serious $$$$$.

Tierra Del Fuego- definitely. Baffin Island in August- but it's hard to get Avgas delivered there.....

Diana said:
Hey Judy, that sounds like fun. What will be your route? Are you flying your 182?

Diana,

I'll be flying straight across from Davis, California (well, that's not quite on the cost, but close enough) to Williamsburg, VA (also not quite on the coast, but close), so whatever the straightest route is, I'll be flying that, weather permitting. I haven't tried to figure out the route yet. As for coming back, I'm not sure of my route. I know I want to try to see someone in Baton Rouge, so that means I'll probably be coming back along the southern half of the country.

I've flown in 31 states (including AK and HI, I just haven't flown TO AK). I'd love to add the other 19, but it's not going to happen this trip, since I won't get anywhere near New England.

Judy

judypilot said:
Diana,

I'll be flying straight across from Davis, California (well, that's not quite on the cost, but close enough) to Williamsburg, VA (also not quite on the coast, but close), so whatever the straightest route is, I'll be flying that, weather permitting. I haven't tried to figure out the route yet. As for coming back, I'm not sure of my route. I know I want to try to see someone in Baton Rouge, so that means I'll probably be coming back along the southern half of the country.

I've flown in 31 states (including AK and HI, I just haven't flown TO AK). I'd love to add the other 19, but it's not going to happen this trip, since I won't get anywhere near New England.

Judy

Judy,

If your route takes you through western SC please give me a shout. I'd love to host you here or meet you somewhere.

Carol

Carol said:
Judy,

If your route takes you through western SC please give me a shout. I'd love to host you here or meet you somewhere.

Carol

Hey Judy, that goes for me, too. You're welcome to fly in and stay at the farm on your way. :)

Carol said:
Judy,

Carol

Wilco. Judy

Diana said:
Hey Judy, that goes for me, too. You're welcome to fly in and stay at the farm on your way. :)
Hey! Being able to land at your farm would make it worth going out of my way. :)

Judy

Flyboy said:
NC to the Bahamas, or any Carribian location.

Flyboy, one of the CFIs where I learn to fly/rent to fly wants to organize a trip from the Atlanta area down to the Bahamas in a convoy of small aircraft. If I had money to blow, and had my instrument rating done I think I might just take that crazy trip. He had it planned out too. Just needs people.

...one of those things I don't ever believe will get off the ground, but you never know! ;)

Newfoundland - Actually planning a flight this summer for the first week of August from Chicago to Newfoundland. I may even hop across to France (for those of you that aren't aware, there are two small islands just off the south shore of Newfoundland which are still part of France - St. Pierre & Miquelon)

Next wish list - Island hop through the Carribean.

Barry

At my wife's urging, I expect I'll fly into Central and South America some day. I don't know how far south, but maybe as far as I can get given the constraints of GA. I'd also like to take the plane up to Alaska and fly around there sometime. I might even try to make a hop over to northeastern Russia, just to say i did.

I recommend Cibolo Creek Ranch in far west Texas ( www.airnav.com/airport/ts15 ); that's out Dave's way, they have a 5,500' strip (paved with pilot-controlled lighting, not unpaved and not two runways, regardless of what Airnav says). www.cibolocreekranch.com

It might actually be a cool place for a one or two day fly-in.

The destination is the thing; be treated right, and arrive hungry and ready to be fed some of the best meals you've ever had. This place is world-class.

Great place to go to just relax, chill. No phone or TV in the room, cellphone does not reach there, and that's all just fine. Plus, you'll be the coolest person there, since you flew yourself in. Amazing how, when we were to poorest folks there, we were still treated by other guests as extra-special because we flew in- in a Cherokee!

This is what it was like when I was there...

Oops, that's one big picture... sorry, dial-uppers! :-(

Mark S said:
Let's see, Alaska, Maine, Arizona, Colorado, Pacific Northwest. All are on my Like to visit list.

Mark

Mark,

Any time you and Agatha make it up this way you'll need to let us know. OLM is a very friendly place to drop in. And then you've got Tom and his Fairchild to the north and Judy and her 182 about 2 hours to the east (at PUW).

Ghery

Ghery said:
Mark,

Any time you and Agatha make it up this way you'll need to let us know. OLM is a very friendly place to drop in. And then you've got Tom and his Fairchild to the north and Judy and her 182 about 2 hours to the east (at PUW).

Ghery

And there's a number of us here in Colorado! Eric, Anthony, myself...

One of the reasons I got my instrument rating is to do the Cayman Caravan. I'd also like to do an Alaskan adventure.

Even if I never do any of those flights, as long as I can keep flying somewhere I'll be pretty happy.

Back