Pity me - I'm watching Martha King

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Well, time to crack the books on the instrument rating test. I've diddled around reading this and that, and bouncing around the King DVDs, but now it's time to get down to business. I signed up for PIC to come and make me a real IR pilot 2 months from now, so no more excuses.

I'll tell you what, if they hired Cindy Crawford to do this I'd be more interested in the presentation. Can't vouch for retention, though. I guess that's why it's the Martha and John show....

Seriously, though, I'm happy to start on this. Expect a few dumb questions over the next few months.....

flyersfan31 said:
I'll tell you what, if they hired Cindy Crawford to do this I'd be more interested in the presentation. Can't vouch for retention, though. I guess that's why it's the Martha and John show.....
Yeah. But they got me through writtens too...

RotaryWingBob said:
Yeah. But they got me through writtens too...

So many King's courses done. When I squint my eyes Martha gets soooo HOT!

I'm not there yet, brotha!

Are you talking 70's Martha, 80's Martha, 90's Martha, or New Millenium Martha?? I know, it's sorta hard to tell, what with her wearing the same shirt and hairstyle all the time...;)

actually if you have a good CFII, you dont need King, Jeppson or any of the rest of that high priced crap,

all you need to pass the written and the flight test is the AIM, The Instrument flying Handbook and an instructor that knows what he is doing, not too many of those left anymore

If she is on DVD, increase the speed to 1.5x or even 2x so she will sound like a normal person. Really. :yes:

wesleyj said:
actually if you have a good CFII, you dont need King, Jeppson or any of the rest of that high priced crap,

all you need to pass the written and the flight test is the AIM, The Instrument flying Handbook and an instructor that knows what he is doing, not too many of those left anymore
And your app plates are in text format?

wesleyj said:

I've done rating's studying both with and without videos, both as a flight student and the teaching CFII and don't see any way to get the info in less time or cheaper than the Kings (and probably the other video course companies as well) when one figures CFI wages and student's personal time spent paging through AIM and all the other stuff including pretesting.

flyersfan31 said:
I'll tell you what, if they hired Cindy Crawford to do this I'd be more interested in the presentation.

I think there is a business opportunity here. Digitally replace Martha with your babe of choice. On the other hand there has to be some hot, female CFI's out there to do a DVD of their own.

wesleyj said:
all you need to pass the written and the flight test is the AIM, The Instrument flying Handbook and an instructor that knows what he is doing,
I think it depends on how you, as an individual, learn best. I've never used a video course but I know that it's easier for me to learn from a book and then ask questions. My mind wanders when I watch videos, then I have to replay the section I missed while I was out in space. It's probably the same reason I have to really be interested in a movie to watch it all the way through. :dunno:

wesleyj said:

Perhaps for you. For me, the study courses and books work somewhat better than an instructor alone. And at $35-$40 hr for the instructor, they are more cost effective also.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I've done rating's studying both with and without videos, both as a flight student and the teaching CFII and don't see any way to get the info in less time or cheaper than the Kings (and probably the other video course companies as well) when one figures CFI wages and student's personal time spent paging through AIM and all the other stuff including pretesting.
I have always bought the Kershner book and the Gleim test, read the book, taken the practice tests over and over, looked up my wrong answers, and asked an instructor to explain anything I couldn't figure out myself.

The goal is to pass the written, sure, but it's also to understand the material. The more work you have to do with your own brain, the better it will stick.

I've done em all on my own. Never watched more than 5 minutes of a King video. Never bought Gleim. Just got the Jepp Kit, and did it all on my own.

flyersfan31 said:
I'm not there yet, brotha!

Are you talking 70's Martha, 80's Martha, 90's Martha, or New Millenium Martha?? I know, it's sorta hard to tell, what with her wearing the same shirt and hairstyle all the time...;)

hehe Her hair style always reminded me of this person.

I used the King course for my private exam, along with the Gleim books, in conjunction with the pt 141 ground school course I was taking as part of a University aviation program. It may have been overkill, but it was a very effective combination IMHO.

I used Sporty's for PPL, and think I will again for IFR. I liked the fact they went beyond just what was needed for the test. Well.... Sporty's, a Gleim test prep book, and a stack of other books over the years.

Anthony said:
I think there is a business opportunity here. Digitally replace Martha with your babe of choice. On the other hand there has to be some hot, female CFI's out there to do a DVD of their own.

Maybe someone needs to convince Angelina Jolie to go on and get her CFI...could be a second video career for her. (like she needs another one OR more money). I could see it now.. "Touch and Goes with Laura Croft " :goofy:

Frank Browne said:
hehe Her hair style always reminded me of this person.

Cut her some slack. You're looking at videos shot in the late 1980s. She looks pretty normal now - just older.

I have run into the Kings fairly often at fly-ins over the last few years. I saw her meet up with a fairly big group of businessmen in the lobby of our hotel in Tampa. She really does run the show.

I thanked John for the "Takeoffs and Landings Made Easy" video which sank in after about 6 viewings during my PPL struggles. "How much (rudder)? Just enough." I never liked that answer.

mikea said:
Cut her some slack. You're looking at videos shot in the late 1980s. She looks pretty normal now - just older.

It's cool Mike, I was just poking a little fun. Actually I kinda like her enthusiasm and apparent enjoyment of what she does. And I certainly admire her and John's marketing skills. Not to mention the fact that their videos helped me during my study for the PP written. :)

I studied with Gleim book, Jeppesen text, and Gardner's PP book for my PPL. Got a 100, so it must have worked. Still, I'd heard that the IR test was more challenging, and I figured that I'd get more than just the book learning out of the DVD's (and I already have.) In the education world, they call the King method "Direct Instruction" -- you and I know it as lecturing. Effective for a massive info dump, but maybe not so great for retention. I've found, though, they do a good job repeating and clarifying things. Still, I read so much stuff about flying already, I figured a little multimedia wouldn't hurt.

Problem is, now I'm going to visualize Martha painting trees, with lovely colors, along the shores of a quiet mountain lake..........Thanks Frank!!!!:D

Dave Krall CFII said:
So many King's courses done. When I squint my eyes Martha gets soooo HOT!
Clearly, waaaaaay too many courses .........:yes:

(actually, she is kinda cute in an aerogeek kind of way ...)

Me, I like whassername, the blonde gal with the short, neatly trimmed hair who does some of the segments. Very bright-eyed and perky. She's a real meteorologist I think, does the weather on local TV here in San Diego some of the time. Knows her stuff. Now thaaaat's hot ....

Anon.
p.s. is this sort of thing legal on this board ? Elsewhere, you'd get into trouble .... You gots to know your limitations, like the man said.

King CD-ROM course, Jeppesen PP course, Kirshner's book... What else? Oh yeah, AOPA web board. All that and back when I was a student I got 100 on the test. King teaches the test. Jeppensen filled in a lot of other useful information, as did Kirshner. If I ever get going on the IR again I'll do much the same. Already have the King course on DVD and the Jeppesen book. Gleim is on the night stand, too. Now to find the time. :rolleyes:

Anthony said:

Remember Jason Hegel's helicopter CFI? She could hold my attention, I'm sure.

Back