Pit stop between Augusta GA and Greenville SC

poadeleted20

Deleted
I’ll be stopping somewhere between Augusta GA and Greenville SC next Friday 12/7. Anybody got a good recommendation for where to get lunch/fuel along that stretch?

Thanks,
Ron

There's a great restaurant on the field at Winder (WDR) but a bit out of the way. Fuel ($3.80 per Airnav) at Jackson County (19A) is the cheapest around but no food.

The locals at wilmington always talk about LBT (Lumberton) having the best fuel prices and being a good midpoint stop heading to and from Florida.

I went and checked out the web pages and it seems the curtesy car at the FBO is OTS. Not sure about it being a good food stop.

There's a great restaurant on the field at Winder (WDR) but a bit out of the way.

The Spitfire Deli www.spitfiredeli.com is a great place for lunch. Celia and Ian, the owners, are very nice people. All their deserts are delicious and home made.:yes:

Ron, If you want to stretch your legs and come up to Chattanooga I'll buy your lunch.

The locals at wilmington always talk about LBT (Lumberton) having the best fuel prices and being a good midpoint stop heading to and from Florida.

I went and checked out the web pages and it seems the curtesy car at the FBO is OTS. Not sure about it being a good food stop.

The only thing I can add is that if you run into a guy named Frank Booth and he asks if you "want to go for a ride", turn and get the heck out of there!!

It's a sunny, woodsy day in Lumberton, so get those chainsaws out. This is the mighty W.O.O.D., the musical voice of Lumberton. At the sound of the falling tree, it's 9:30. There's a whole lotta wood waitin' out there, so let's get goin'.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestions, but LBT is the other side of CLT from the AGS-GSP line and WDR is almost 100 miles the other way. I'm flying from DAB to LNP and can't quite make it nonstop. Like I said -- somewhere between AGS and GSP, as that's the line I'm flying.

Thanks,
Ron

main.php

According to AOPA's RTFP stopping in Winder (WDR) to sample the Spitfire Grill only adds 32 nm to your route. ATC can do a lot worse to you, and they don't feed you. As kind of a local to your halfway point, I can't think of a better stop.

According to AOPA's RTFP stopping in Winder (WDR) to sample the Spitfire Grill only adds 32 nm to your route. ATC can do a lot worse to you, and they don't feed you. As kind of a local to your halfway point, I can't think of a better stop.
I get 51nm extra, but if the Spitfire Grill is that good, I'll take it.

Cap'n Ron...it IS that good, and Celia is a doll. The nicest British couple you will meet!

I'll second (or fourth or fifth) the spitfire at WDR. great on-airport restaurant. Fuel pump right out front too.

Aiken has always been good to me when I stop there too...nothing to eat at the airport, but they always let me take the crew car to grab some food in town (a new car too...not an old beat up crew car). It's a bit closer to your line of flight (about 15 mi east if AGS if I recall correctly)

I'll second (or fourth or fifth) the spitfire at WDR. great on-airport restaurant. Fuel pump right out front too.
I'm sold.

Aiken has always been good to me when I stop there too...nothing to eat at the airport, but they always let me take the crew car
Probably won't have the additional time to drive into/out of town.

Thanks to all who responded.:yes:

Back