Piston Powered World Record

Haegon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Haegon
Word on the street is that a man named David Rose has a goal to break a world record: the fastest straight and level flight in a piston-powered aircraft. Have you guys heard anything about this?

Here this the aircraft that he will use to do the job:

Q3fIm.jpg

interesting.

what speed is he expecting to obtain?

A carbon fiber PROPELLER?

That sets off the "deathtrap alert" in me. Any unpredicted flex in that thing is going to unbalance the cranks and result in partial power landings at best.

I think this thing is pushing too many edges of the envelope to be a speed record attempt.

I hope that thing has an ejector seat, but I doubt it. I'm sure the pilot will at least wear a parachute.

This has been talked about for several years. I will believe it when I see it.

Two engines driving contra rotating props. That surely wouldn't be able to take off from a conveyor belt. :)

That sets off the "deathtrap alert" in me. Any unpredicted flex in that thing is going to unbalance the cranks and result in partial power landings at best.

I think this thing is pushing too many edges of the envelope to be a speed record attempt.

Composite props are very common even on certified aircraft. And are the absolute norm with most experimental aircraft.

That thing looks like a tunneling machine.

It very well might break the ground barrier

Word on the street is that a man named David Rose has a goal to break a world record: the fastest straight and level flight in a piston-powered aircraft. Have you guys heard anything about this?

Q3fIm.jpg

That's one seriously ugly machine. But no p-factor!

i wonder if they'll go for the record attempt on the first flight

Why not... I have neen running one for years ....

Q3fIm.jpg

It won't get off the ground..... it has auto engines in it..:confused::yes::nono:

I bet it has an interesting W&B

Does the record count if they don't land?

good question. i know that for soaring records the aircraft cannot be wrecked during the attempt.

Magic I suppose. Or maybe the mains fold up and back à la Cessna. Not sure where the nosegear goes...it kinda looks like there's an engine in the way.

appears to me that the mean gear pivot aft and the nose wheel folds back. the nosewheel snuggles in between the exhaust stacks on the front engine

Yup..... Trick aluminum racing stuff is kinda pricey..:hairraise:..

My 302 / 347 cu in stroker Ford bare block was 4400.00 . add in the custom machine work to make it ready to assemble and the total was right at 5 grand.. Even with that I built a 400HP motor that weighs less then a certified aircraft motor... and for 14 grand or so. The same HP equivelent in a aircraft motor would be 65,000.00 +

Attachments

• EngineLowerEnd.jpg
    EngineLowerEnd.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture_204.jpg
    Picture_204.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
And if ya run them a bit too lean.. This will happen.....]

LOTS of smoke comes out of the breather and fills up the cockpit DAMN fast ..

EGT's of 1725f worked for 300 + hours.. Take it to 1775 and in 30 seconds it is the dreaded "return to the airport on 7 cylinders"...:yikes:

Attachments

• piston_failure_001.JPG
    piston_failure_001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

EGT's of 1725f worked for 300 + hours.. Take it to 1775 and in 30 seconds it is the dreaded "return to the airport on 7 cylinders"...:yikes:

:lol::lol::lol: Fords...:rofl:

Doesn't that hole affect your compression???? :D

Well, you did take it over 1750...:nono::nono::nono: Who's pistons and heads were you running?

I am still running the same brands...

Ford GT-40 aluminum heads intake ports are too big and the intake charge slows down too much in cruise rpm of 3000 so I went with the small port Edelbrock heads... Titanium intake valves, Stainless Steel Exhaust valves, ARP fasteners... Bullet proof..:yes:..

Pistons are JE.. The original ones were the standard .030 stroker pieces. I had them build new ones using a .230 thicker forging for the deck thickness for durability,, made up the difference in weight by some custom, thinner walled pins... ..
Runs great now, just as before. Only I limit EGT's to 1650 now....:yes:

Last edited:
I can neither confirm or deny that I have any involvement in that project..

Nice lookin motors though.... For Chevys.;)
I can confirm I had two parts in that project me and my dad built the motors they are twin 598 block Chevys with F3prochargers on them they make 2000hp+ each if you have any questions please ask

Back