Piston Powered World Record

looks like someone put wings on one of those tractor pull rigs.

:thumbsup:
I can confirm I had two parts in that project me and my dad built the motors they are twin 598 block Chevys with F3prochargers on them they make 2000hp+ each if you have any questions please ask

First post...... Welcome to POA...:yes:..

And........... another serious motorhead...

A direct descendant of the:
images

Does the record count if they don't land?
ISTR that for the record to hold for the Voyager around-the-world flight, the pilot had to survive the landing for 24 hours. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same here.

Ron Wanttaja

glider world records do require the aircraft to be airworthy post-flight as well.

I gotta be honest. It's THIS stuff that makes me really respect the Experimental category -- not the fields of identical RVs at Osh.

It just needs some truck nuts hanging from the tail tiedown :D

That's part of the reason the antiquated term Experimental is so often a misnomer, although in this case, highly appropriate.

Fully capable of breaking the speed record, I hope they have at least 3 cameras rolling when they go for it.

A carbon fiber PROPELLER?

That sets off the "deathtrap alert" in me. Any unpredicted flex in that thing is going to unbalance the cranks and result in partial power landings at best.

I think this thing is pushing too many edges of the envelope to be a speed record attempt.

What do you mean Deathtrap? I built a carbon fiber propeller back in 1988 that flew at reno and did pretty damn good. There have been more since then built by my friends and others and many wins for carbon prop equipped planes. As others noted there are lots of composite props flying in the commercial and private world....have a look at MT for one. Carbon is wonderful stuff and flex is the last thing in the world that could cause the issues you noted. In any case the carbon props are stiffer than any of the aluminum or wood props you've flown. Carbon isn't the issue....design and manufacture are the things to be concerned about.

Frank

I gotta be honest. It's THIS stuff that makes me really respect the Experimental category -- not the fields of identical RVs at Osh.

It just needs some truck nuts hanging from the tail tiedown :D

I'm gonna visit Ben this week, I'm gonna try to talk him into something that should be fun and interesting and of course very noisy...:yes:;):D

Back