PIREP on the PortaPilot?

With that kind of altitude control, I’d probably jury-rig a Piper Autocontrol into the airplane before I’d install a Porta Pilot.

Great observation regarding: “altitude hold at about 4650 ft. It then climbed up to 5000, and gradually came back down to 4500, taking a total of about 4 minutes”. The cause is that the Alt Hold was engaged while in a 500fpm climb. This is a pilot error. You should engage it when in straight & leveled with minimal vertical speed.

I find it a little hard to believe that the company would use a video for marketing where the pilot (presumably an employee, and presumably on a flight designed specifically to show off the capabilities) is using the equipment incorrectly, and that therefore shows the equipment in a bad light. I mean, it just seems like common sense if you're trying to sell something to not intentionally, and obviously, make it look bad.

Based on this comment and not seeing any integrations with pitot/static or pitch data, I'm guessing that it's using internal gyros to hold the pitch that's current when you hit the button? I'm assuming it has no idea what the actual altitude is.
The PortaPilot has 3 built in axes gyros and accelerometers. It also has an altimeter used for altitude, and to correct other factors. It does figure speed using various other sensors an algorithm. It doesn’t require a GPS navigator, but with one connected it is a lot more accurate and capable. Hit the Hold button and a bunch of parameters are sampled - attitude, hold altitude etc.. It’s controller is the size of a cigarette pack. My personal opinion is that the single axis unit ($2k) does most of what you need, and easier to use. I don’t understand why most pilots get the two axes units.

The PortaPilot has 3 built in axes gyros and accelerometers. It also has an altimeter used for altitude, and to correct other factors. It does figure speed using various other sensors an algorithm. It doesn’t require a GPS navigator, but with one connected it is a lot more accurate and capable. Hit the Hold button and a bunch of parameters are sampled - attitude, hold altitude etc.. It’s controller is the size of a cigarette pack. My personal opinion is that the single axis unit ($2k) does most of what you need, and easier to use. I don’t understand why most pilots get the two axes units.
Then it doesn't make sense that the attitude when turning on the unit would matter as your previous post suggests.

Then it doesn't make sense that the attitude when turning on the unit would matter as your previous post suggests.
What do you mean by turning on? Power or Alt Hold ?
when powered up on the ground (noThere is no power switch) it registers the attitude, which remains the reference. The premise is that on the ground the attitude is similar to that at S&L attitude.

What do you mean by turning on? Power or Alt Hold ?
when powered up on the ground (noThere is no power switch) it registers the attitude, which remains the reference. The premise is that on the ground the attitude is similar to that at S&L attitude.
Your post below makes no sense then.

Great observation regarding: “altitude hold at about 4650 ft. It then climbed up to 5000, and gradually came back down to 4500, taking a total of about 4 minutes”. The cause is that the Alt Hold was engaged while in a 500fpm climb. This is a pilot error. You should engage it when in straight & leveled with minimal vertical speed.

@Salty: You are confusing "attitude" with "altitude".

With this autopilot, you get to the desired altitude, level and stabilize, making sure there is little residual climb rate, than hit Alt Hold key. Some other autopilots, activating Alt hold with significant vertical speed will lock the climb rate, not altitude.

Will the 2-axis only hold altitude? No climbs or descents? Is it measuring cabin altitude?

Any plans to make one for the older 172s?

Will the 2-axis only hold altitude? No climbs or descents? Is it measuring cabin altitude?

Any plans to make one for the older 172s?
It does have climb and descent. I rarely use it so I don’t how well it works. It does use cabin pressure for altitude. I don’t have to adjust the altitude while holding. The only adjustment I make is to the Kolsman part of the altimeter on long flights.

I believe they already have a Yoke Collar Clamp prototype for older Cessnas (172s & 150’s). Do contact PortaPilot and ask when they will be shipping it. They have return policy on these autopilots - no risk.

If they could get it to work on my 150 I’d give it a try. Was wondering if there is a way to change the yoke and collar?

If they could get it to work on my 150 I’d give it a try. Was wondering if there is a way to change the yoke and collar?
I flew with the PortaPilot in C150L, 150M and C152. Found out it is also compatible in a C150J since it (or just this particular one) has the plastic Yoke Collar. So if your C150 has that type collar - it should work. It is possible to replace a Yoke Collar. Four screws with nuts. But to position it you need to either remove the yoke or the Universal joint. Talk with a mechanic. Or send to PortaPilot a photo of your Yoke Collar (and yoke) and have them respond.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 6
With that kind of altitude control, I’d probably jury-rig a Piper Autocontrol into the airplane before I’d install a Porta Pilot.
100%. Not only was the autopilot awful at holding altitude, the pilot was equally awful at trimming a 172.

Back