PIREP on EAA Airventure Camping?

There are electrical outlets at the Green and Red shower buildings in the North 40. I recommend you bring your own power strip for extra outlets. At any given time there will be thousands of dollars worth of iPads and other devices charging and left unattended and nothing in my 4 years of experience has ever happened to anyone's stuff.

What I did last year was I got a set of portable solar panels that can charge USB devices. Working in conjunction with a USB battery pack I was able to keep my phone charged up the entire time.

This is the solar panel I got: http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-Dual-Port-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00E3OL5U8

Great idea!

So, I want to come for the first time, but I can only afford to take 2 days off of work. I'm in Cleveland and flying a Bonanza, so travel time is a couple hours. Am I better off coming up the Saturday before the show starts and leaving after the air show on Tuesday, or coming up Wednesday after work and staying until Saturday or Sunday? How would the Wednesday night air show affect that? Will my campsite be too far out in the boondocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I want to come for the first time, but I can only afford to take 2 days off of work. I'm in Cleveland and flying a Bonanza, so travel time is a couple hours. Am I better off coming up the Saturday before the show starts and leaving after the air show on Tuesday, or coming up Wednesday after work and staying until Saturday or Sunday? How would the Wednesday night air show affect that? Will my campsite be too far out in the boondocks?

That would be my choice....:yes:

Great questions.

Arriving on Saturday means less traffic and you have plenty of time on Saturday/Sunday to grab a beer and watch arrivals. Also, to walk the site to see all of the early arriving aircraft. Note - the most interesting aircraft, and the ones where the owners are hoping for an award tend to arrive early and start departing by mid-week.

An after-show arrival on Wednesday is a crapshoot. Weather and a hundred other things can get in the way. I'd shoot for Thursday morning if I was you. Either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, you should be able to get a good "fill-in" spot that isn't way out in the boonies. Also, the crowds will be slightly diminished by then, so vendor, food, and bathroom access will be marginally better.

Either option works well, depending on what your preferences are.

I wouldn't fly anywhere with that narrow a window. I'd worry about gettheritis on the return trip leading me to fly into something more than I can handle.

Todd-try to make the night show on Wednesday. It is a good show. If you can work a few extra hours and get out early Wednesday it would be worth it.

Parking is always an adventure for late arrivals but you might get lucky. Also, some vendors sell out of things by Wednesday.

I wouldn't fly anywhere with that narrow a window. I'd worry about gettheritis on the return trip leading me to fly into something more than I can handle.

That's why I'm leaning toward the latter half of the week. I can leave Saturday or Sunday on my own time. If I come the beginning of the week and get stuck work becomes problematic.

Todd-try to make the night show on Wednesday. It is a good show. If you can work a few extra hours and get out early Wednesday it would be worth it.

Parking is always an adventure for late arrivals but you might get lucky. Also, some vendors sell out of things by Wednesday.

I can generally have some flex time at work so this is definitely possible. I also looked and the night show doesn't start until 8. Under normal circumstances I could be in the air by 5, meaning an arrival of 6:30 with the time change. And I could easily bump that up an hour without problem.

That's why I'm leaning toward the latter half of the week. I can leave Saturday or Sunday on my own time. If I come the beginning of the week and get stuck work becomes problematic.

I can generally have some flex time at work so this is definitely possible. I also looked and the night show doesn't start until 8. Under normal circumstances I could be in the air by 5, meaning an arrival of 6:30 with the time change. And I could easily bump that up an hour without problem.

That might be cutting it close if there is weather in your path, or if the field closes because it's too wet. Plan on Fond du Lac or Appleton if that happens.

Back