Pipistrel Panthera

fast and slippery in a piston plane is not that fast anyways, just look farther ahead. stall speed has to be less than 61 knots for certification? it just seems that the panthera is to good to be true.

fast and slippery in a piston plane is not that fast anyways, just look farther ahead. stall speed has to be less than 61 knots for certification? it just seems that the panthera is to good to be true.

It has to be 61kts unless the manufacturer gets that waived based on the crashworthiness of the design.

The companies reputation for innovation and performance in the motor glider and experimental world is cutting edge.

Look at their other models and their successes in the NASA Cafe Challenge.

I wish I could afford one.

One thing I hate about the Pipers and Cessnas of the world is just how aerodynamically dirty they are. It's horrible.

Even the Cirrus, there was recently the Cirrus with the experimental winglets and flaperons posted here, the nav light stuck out and looked horrible like it was designed by a cave man or General Motors engineer. :rolleyes:

What's even better about Pipistrel is that they're truly not afraid of embracing the future, which I find even more exhilarating. They are true pioneers in electric flight and the won the Nasa challenge with their Taurus. The Panthera will be delivered in both a hybrid form and a pure electric - miles ahead of everyone else. Cessna Skycatcher with a carburetted engine and carb heat, anyone?

The Panthera will be delivered in both a hybrid form and a pure electric - miles ahead of everyone else.

Neat market speak, but reality? Both of these ideas rely heavily on somebody else to create a better propulsion system that they can buy. Is Pipistrel working on some awesome new battery technology I'm not aware of?

I wish I could afford one.

One thing I hate about the Pipers and Cessnas of the world is just how aerodynamically dirty they are. It's horrible.

Even the Cirrus, there was recently the Cirrus with the experimental winglets and flaperons posted here, the nav light stuck out and looked horrible like it was designed by a cave man or General Motors engineer. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Cessna/Piper leave a good 10kts in filleting, parasite drag reduction. Between antennas, riveting style, fuselage-lift surfaces intersections, cowling and cross-sectional area reduction techniques, there's a lot of improvement left on the table.

Agreed. Cessna/Piper leave a good 10kts in filleting, parasite drag reduction. Between antennas, riveting style, fuselage-lift surfaces intersections, cowling and cross-sectional area reduction techniques, there's a lot of improvement left on the table.

It's all an engineering trade off. Cessna and Piper designers were aiming to build airplanes that were comfortable, easy to fly, affordable family sedans. They never set out to build high speed traveling machines with no expense spared.

Different missions.

Count me as another Panthera fan, as long as they can deliver it as promised... I remember there was an awful lot of promise in the Diamond TwinStar as well, and it really failed to deliver (by about 20-30 knots) after the FAA was done with it.

But, if anyone can pull this off, it's Pipistrel.

Back