Pipistrel Panthera

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I'm not one of those people who generally gets excited about all the new wizbang planes that are supposed to come to market soon but this Pipistrel Panthera has really captured my attention. Actually the entire Pipistrel line caught my attention this summer at Osh, the designs, speed fuel economy. I am really just enamored with this plane.

The design is amazing. I was never a big fan of T-Tails and could not figure out why GA mfgs made them. watching this video it made a lot of sense to me. I think when this plane comes to market it has the potential to really take a big chunk out of Cirrus' market share. If they built a fixed gear I think they would really give Cirrus a run for its money.

I really am looking forward to seeing one of these fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tbgs8lxNVs

Just look at these specs. 200kts on 10gph!

http://www.pipistrel-usa.com/models/panthera.html

Last edited:
Nice indeed, if they deliver.

Nice indeed, if they deliver.

Not an issue. ;)

I worked for them and with them for several years at OSH. Absolute cutting edge technology that we have not even considered in our aircraft here. Clean sheet design from the ground up. They have won $6 million? In NASA Cafe challenges in California in the last 3 years.

Last edited:
I'm not one of those people who generally gets excited about all the new wizbang planes that are supposed to come to market soon but this Pipistrel Panthera has really captured my attention. Actually the entire Pipistrel line caught my attention this summer at Osh, the designs, speed fuel economy. I am really just enamored with this plane.

The design is amazing. I was never a big fan of T-Tails and could not figure out why GA mfgs made them. watching this video it made a lot of sense to me. I think when this plane comes to market it has the potential to really take a big chunk out of Cirrus' market share. If they built a fixed gear I think they would really give Cirrus a run for its money.

I really am looking forward to seeing one of these fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tbgs8lxNVs

Just look at these specs. 200kts on 10gph!

http://www.pipistrel-usa.com/models/panthera.html

Yeah huh? That is one sweet ride. When you get yours come pick me up and we'll get some cool pictures.;)

Not an issue. ;)

I worked for them and with them for several years at OSH. Absolute cutting edge technology that we have not even considered in our aircraft here. Clean sheet design from the ground up. They have won $6 million? In NASA Cafe challenges in California in the last 3 years.

Yep, they have it going on. I'd love to go work for them, I have a German birth certificate...:rolleyes:

Oh, BTW, these guys would never build a fixed gear aircraft, it would be heresy to them.

Schweet!!! Hey GEICO, if they are looking for newly minted PP's to test the aircraft out, let them know I'd be willing to do it for for free :D

Well its sexy as hell. Surely it flies like a dream.

You would hope, but I don't know what their design philosophy was with regards to handling. I'd be suspecting the handling and ride to be similar to a DA-40, a bit ponderous due to wing span, easy to upset in turbulence.

It is a very nice aircraft and I hope they bring it to market. I also like the French Cobalt 50. Very nice looking too. Either way, I like the fresh designs!

You would hope, but I don't know what their design philosophy was with regards to handling. I'd be suspecting the handling and ride to be similar to a DA-40, a bit ponderous due to wing span, easy to upset in turbulence.

They build motorgliders, modernsailplanes handle better then spam cans.

Beautiful looking airplane, wish they had spent some time inside it. Probably too rich for my blood though.

Looks like it'll cost somewhat north of $500,000 (I saw something saying 400k euros...depends on the exchange rate)

Anyone have that kind of change burning a hole in your pocket? I'd be happy to put out the fire. If you let me relieve you of that money, I'll even sew your pants back together.

Beautiful plane, with much attention to keeping the aero part clean.

I wonder, though, about Vfe and slowing the plane down. There are no flap pylons to provide strength, when deploying flaps. They did that to keep the bottom of the wing clean, but there must be a tradeoff. All the flap mechanisms are concealed inside a thin wing, so they can't be that strong, and that would mean a low Vfe that makes the plane harder to slow down.

Beautiful plane, with much attention to keeping the aero part clean.

I wonder, though, about Vfe and slowing the plane down. There are no flap pylons to provide strength, when deploying flaps. They did that to keep the bottom of the wing clean, but there must be a tradeoff. All the flap mechanisms are concealed inside a thin wing, so they can't be that strong, and that would mean a low Vfe that makes the plane harder to slow down.

I think part of the video showed a speed brake incorporated into the nose gear doors.

Another video (from AvWeb, I think) showed recent first start and some taxiing.

Looks like it'll cost somewhat north of $500,000 (I saw something saying 400k euros...depends on the exchange rate)

Anyone have that kind of change burning a hole in your pocket? I'd be happy to put out the fire. If you let me relieve you of that money, I'll even sew your pants back together.

Thats still 250K less than a comparable Cirrus.

I think part of the video showed a speed brake incorporated into the nose gear doors.

Another video (from AvWeb, I think) showed recent first start and some taxiing.

Yeah they said the gears had incorporated speed break type mechanisms into them.

The design is amazing. I was never a big fan of T-Tails and could not figure out why GA mfgs made them.
The guy who designed Pantera says that T-tail reduces drag by a measurable amount, as long as it's a real T-tail and not a pseudo tail found on Arrow IV for example. Since you didn't know it, I presume you haven't seen his interview, in which he goes over some other drag-reduction features. For example, the cooling air is exhausted on the side, not bottom like on most GA aircraft. This way the lift-induced vacuum over the wing sucks it out, permitting smaller cross-section for cooling passages. Conveniently, the more vacuum is created at higher angles of attack, so it's like having cowl flaps, only automatic. I'm sure the baffling inside the cowl is laid out for drag reduction as well.

Last edited:
The guy who designed Pantera says that T-tail reduces drag by a measurable amount, as long as it's a real T-tail and not a pseudo tail found on Arrow IV for example. Since you didn't know it, I presume you haven't seen his interview, in which he goes over some other drag-reduction features. For example, the cooling air is exhausted on the side, not bottom like on most GA aircraft. This way the lift-induced vacuum over the wing sucks it out, permitting smaller cross-section for cooling passages. Conveniently, the more vacuum is created at higher angles of attack, so it's like having cowl flaps, only automatic. I'm sure the baffling inside the cowl is laid out for drag reduction as well.

Pete, I did watch the video, thats why I said it made sense after watching the video. Good point about the "True T-Tail" I noticed that when looking at a photo of a T-Tail Arrow and lance .

The NLG door appears to be about the size of a #2 wash-tub. You'd think that would provide enough slow-down.

Thats still 250K less than a comparable Cirrus.

Yeah they said the gears had incorporated speed break type mechanisms into them.

The Lancair 360 is a very nice performer, and does 200 kts on 10 GPH. If they can get the same performance as the Lancair with room for 4, it would be quite a feat. I'd also expect that it would mean the plane would have similarly unforgiving stall characteristics, but maybe not if they design it right.

Pete, I did watch the video, thats why I said it made sense after watching the video. Good point about the "True T-Tail" I noticed that when looking at a photo of a T-Tail Arrow and lance .

You had to go after the "T tail" folks......:nono::no::stirpot:

Hey, not everyone can own a sexy airplane :raspberry:

But I gotta agree, the Panthera is sexy as Hell! I was really hoping
that it would have made it to SNF...

That has been my benchmark for "really cool looking airplane" for more than 20 years. Its reign is about to end.

The Panthera would definitely give it a run for its money. It might also win in the "Plane I want one day when I don't need a twin" category.

Airplanes like these make me really happy. The biggest problem I have with general aviation is that GA planes are often very inefficient in fuel usage.

I have been looking into greener airplanes. The Panthera is one of them for sure.

Along with the SkySpark and SunSeeker.

Airplanes like these make me really happy. The biggest problem I have with general aviation is that GA planes are often very inefficient in fuel usage.

That's not really true when you consider size, speed, and mileage. The 310 gets about 8.3 mpg (statute) for going 215 MPH in a vehicle that can hold about as much as you can stuff in a Chevy Suburban. Try driving a Suburban that fast, see what it does.

Not saying they can't be made more efficient, but most of the ways to make the airframe itself more slippery result in a less forgiving airplane. We've seen what happens with Lancairs.

Maden flight of the Pipistrel Panthera was April 4th, 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYv9b4J7ps&feature=youtu.be

The maiden flight of the Panthera
4. 4. 2013 at 14:15

Pipistrel's new Panthera completed its maiden flight on 4 April, 2013. The very successful first flight lasted 54 minutes.

Having completed ground functional and taxi tests at Pipistrel's Headquarters at Ajdovscina, Slovenia, the Panthera relocated to the Airport of Cerklje ob Krki, where Slovenian Armed Forces are providing us invaluable logistics support.

Following high-speed taxi runs and jumps above the runway, test pilot Mirko Anžel and co-pilot Sašo Knez lifted off the runway at 14:15 local time and spent 54 minutes in the air, evaluating Panthera's behaviour and performing system checks.

Both pilots agreed the handling was straight-forward and pilot friendly, with parameters exactly as predicted - a true statement to skill of the development team and reassurance that all target performance goals will be met.

Ivo Boscarol, CEO of Pipistrel says: "This is Pipistrel's first entry into the world of General Aviation. We knew for a long time that we were capable of developing and producing aircraft larger and more capable than ultralights/LSAs. Panthera is proof that Pipistrel's team can indeed compete with the most eminent global general aviation producers. Also, Panthera is Slovenia's first ever 4-seat aeroplane design headed for production."

Our thanks to the Slovenian Armed Forces, Slovenian CAA and each and every individual who contributed to this historic achievement.

Special thanks go out to the Panthera customers, valued individuals who we call "Panthera global family", who believed in us and placed their orders when the aeroplane was still on the drawing board. Without all of you, this would not be possible. Thank you!

The video of the first flight can be seen on the following address:
http://youtu.be/BDYv9b4J7ps

Kind regards, Michael Coates Pipistrel USA

More Pictures...

Last edited:
wonder why the never sucked up the gear and gave us the numbers?

Testing procedures are pretty rigorous for a "clean sheet" design aircraft. They won't do any speed runs for quite a while is my guess. They are working towards US GA Certification and will do it by the numbers for sure.

I'm anxious too! :D

Last edited:
I don't think any airplace did that before 787. First flight - always gear down.

I, too, am captivated by this design. I wrote to them in December for more information and expected pricing. Here is the reply I received from Mr. Igor Perkon:

Thank you for contacting us about the new Pipistrel Panthera aircraft. My apologize for the delay in answering, but we had the joy to welcome our first child in the family and it required a couple of weeks off work. The Panthera was designed to offer a superior airplane that features state-of-the-art aerodynamics efficiency, great comfort and high performance. Its extremely low fuel consumption will allow you to fly lighter and faster - with the Pipistrel Panthera you can use shorter runways, climb better, go further and overall enjoy much lower operating costs than similar aircraft.

The Panthera also provides comfort that is second to none. Have you experienced the 3D interactive high-resolution photographs on the Pipistrel Panthera website ? Check www.panthera-aircraft.com then select "Gallery" for a complete cockpit tour. With only a single central pillar you have an unobstructed view in every direction throughout your flight. Flying in the Panthera you have a real feeling that you dominate the landscape.

The Lycoming powered version of Panthera is offered either as experimental (in-factory assist built) or CS-23 certified aircraft. The experimental version is offered in two avionics configurations, one based around the Dynon Skyview SV1000 system and the other with the Garmin G500 system. The CS-23 certified version is equipped with the Garmin G500 glass cockpit. All Pantheras’ feature dual COM, NAV, dual IFR- GPS by using two Garmin GTS series touchscreen displays, a set of backup instruments and digital control of cabin air-conditioning, even the parachute rescue system comes standard.

The pricing with pick-up at the factory is 335,000 EUR for the experimental with the Dynon avionics, 355,000 EUR for the experimental with Garmin G500 and 395,000 EUR for the CS-23 certified version. Of course your Panthera can be delivered directly to your home airfield for a nominal fee. Our pricing policy is to included everything in the base price and not charge you for every little extra part and accessory, therefore the prices above include type endorsement and all available equipment options, including the personalized interiors specially crafted for your airplane by the same company that makes the interiors of Bugatti, Porsche and Ferrari sport cars.
If you would like to know more details about the Panthera design and our passion for making great airplanes, please check these videos recorded during the unveiling of the prototype at AERO2012:

Pipistrel Panthera Unveiled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cODrRSEF3W8&feature=related

Pipistrel-Panthera 4-seater aircraft NEW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gApX-cAYMs&feature=youtu.be

Pipistrel Panthera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPvswhcqlA&feature=related

Pipistrel Panthera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1oSRuuU-g&feature=youtu.be

Pipistrel Panthera Composite Infomation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5BU5L7BqY&feature=youtu.be

Pipistrel Panthera - Aerodynamics and other ramblings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4PbMnzWYk0&feature=youtu.be

We have almost completed the on-ground structural tests before the taking to the skies on the first flight. Thanks to the feedback and wishes received from our customers and from passionate pilots just like you, we have gained new insight into your exact ideas and requirements. Forgive me please for not being allowed to disclose to you the list of improvements but some of these ideas are so exciting that we decided to start implementing the modifications already on the prototype aircraft, even at the cost of delaying the first flight. We know that these small improvements will make the Panthera an incredible aircraft to fly and to own.
Customer deliveries begin in 2013, where we are proud to say that many pilots have already selected the Panthera as the airplane that will substitute their existing aircraft. With the current orders, the first available production slots for the certified version are in the second quarter of 2016, while for the experimental we have positions for deliveries in the third quarter 2015. To accommodate the certified production a new 10,000 sqm. environmentally green facility is already under construction in Italy just 15 kms (10 miles) from our existing facility.

The ordering procedure is very simple: to reserve the production position for a Panthera, we require the advance payment of 10% of the aircraft price. This payment fixes the order, delivery time and also the end price of the aircraft, regardless of price rises occurring in the period before your delivery. Now is the time to order a Panthera!

Rewarding our launch customers, Pipistrel offers the following special conditions (cut&paste from the contract):
To protect the customer’s deposit, both parties agree that the customer will first test fly the aircraft demonstrator. Should the customer not be satisfied with the performance or with the aircraft in general, the customer can cancel the order entirely. In this case Pipistrel will return the advance payment within 14 days after having received the written order cancellation. The deposit will be returned with 4% yearly interests.

We expect our customers to be totally satisfied with the Panthera, but if Pipistrel cannot meet the promised delivery time, both parties can agree to a new delivery time and the renegotiate conditions acceptable for both parties. If the customer is not happy with the new delivery time Pipistrel will return the advance payment with interest with 4% interest.

With more than 1000 aircraft delivered in the past 25 years I can assure you that owning a Panthera is the best way to join our "Pipistrel family".

I would appreciate to hear back from you with any comments and suggestions because during the development phase improvements can be made. We care about your opinion, because it helps us to design better aircraft.

With kind regards

Igor Perkon

P.S. I run a personal mailing list for the Panthera news, you can subscribe at http://eepurl.com/lgSXj

Wonder how this will stack up against an RV....

:stirpot:

Wonder how this will stack up against an RV....

:stirpot:

A lot more expensive, more than double an RV-10, but certainly faster. ;)

Interesting they have decided on a strategy of both experimental and certified in the US market. That way Cessna and Cirrus can't block the certification program.

To anyone looking to buy and wait until they have several service centers and parts depots that are stocked with spare parts. Obviously, engine parts are no problem, but airframe parts will need to be stocked here. Buying parts from eastern Europe is quite a hassle.

Last edited:

As others have said, nothing to write home about here. This is the sort of cautious testing typical in certufucation.

I'd also not be surprised if the first iteration fell short of speed numbers. It's not uncommon for the initial design to not quite meet numbers, and require a few improvements to get there.

Has there ever been a first test flight, where the after flight review from the test pilots to the media was not, "It flies great, everything is as predicted and it's a great airplane."?

Has there ever been a first test flight, where the after flight review from the test pilots to the media was not, "It flies great, everything is as predicted and it's a great airplane."?

Spruce goose maybe?

if the numbers hold true. I wonder what are the engineering trade-offs?

Fast usually means slippery, high stall speed, and sharp stall characteristics. But there are limits certification wise, so they might have some flaps that can help.

Back