Piper Wing Spar AD...bolts?

Paul Kohler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pkohler
Hey guys I have some missing logs from a PA-28-151 so I will have to comply with the AD. I don’t see the part number listed in the AD for the replacement bolts. Anyone know the number and what are the chances there is any stock? Thanks in advance!

Paul

Check your IPC, but probably an AN176-13A or NAS6606-13 (looking at a later rev of the parts catalog)

Last edited:
Anyone know the number and what are the chances there is any stock?
Two parts manual links below showing the different bolt types. The NAS series is usually more available as the industry moves away from the AN standard to the NAS standard. Price is still dependent on source/quantity but Aircraft Spruce usually keeps both types in stock. Some aviation parts houses are selling bolt kits for for the AD that include bolts, washers, and nuts.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Reference_Docs/Piper/pa-28-151-161_pcv1994.pdf
https://freeaircraftmanuals.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/piper-pa-28-151-parts-manual.pdf

Some aviation parts houses are selling bolt kits for for the AD that include bolts, washers, and nuts.

would you have a link please....yes, what you are saying about two different types is confusing...thank you!

would you have a link please
I was told there were several kits listed on one of the piper type forums. But your mechanic should be able to procure the proper hardware with no issues.
what you are saying about two different types is confusing
Aviation hardware is manufactured per various specifications or standards like AN (Army-Navy specification), MS (military standard), NAS (National Aerospace Standards), etc. Each standard or specification has certain levels of material strength and tolerances which usually start at a lower level then upgrade up to higher levels. In the case of hardware, standard AN hardware is at the lower end of the strength/tolerance spectrum and NAS or MS is at the upper end of that spectrum. Provided you always upgrade the hardware to the higher level you can substitute a lower type bolt with a higher type bolt. So for your spar bolts, while the AN176 is original, that bolt can be legally substituted with an NAS6606 bolt since it is a stronger bolt.

One of the reasons Piper calls out for different P/N bolts for the same installation in different dated Parts manuals is that the aviation industry is shifting toward using a single standard/specification for hardware. So since the NAS is a higher strength bolt Piper, and other OEMs, are revising their Parts books to show that shift. But that revision doesn't make the original AN176 bolt any less legal to use and will perform as designed. The issue becomes more a procurement/cost item in finding the correct length AN176 bolts for your requirement where the NAS6606 bolts maybe more readily available. Substituting hardware/fasteners as been an ongoing task for as long as I've been working on aircraft.

Back