For Sale: Aircraft Piper Turbo Twin Comanche, Covington, GA

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Nice!! Tip tanks = 120g fuel!

How do you rate the interior and exterior? (Out of 10)?

How do you rate the interior and exterior? (Out of 10)?

Directly from the ad:

Paint in good shape (no oxidation) but some chips from age
Newer gray leather interior and carpets in excellent shape

This is a plane for the Mooney guy (fast & efficient) that wants the same thing in a light twin. 190 KTAS at 15 gph with the redundancy of a twin is pretty sweet. Interior is very nice, and as Lane has stated the paint itself is in good condition but there are some chips. He and I and a good shop have put a lot of time and $$$ to make the plane squawk free. If it fits your mission, it is a very good deal. I want him in on my 414 and that's why he's selling.

This is a plane for the Mooney guy (fast & efficient) that wants the same thing in a light twin. 190 KTAS at 15 gph with the redundancy of a twin is pretty sweet. Interior is very nice, and as Lane has stated the paint itself is in good condition but there are some chips. He and I and a good shop have put a lot of time and $$$ to make the plane squawk free. If it fits your mission, it is a very good deal. I want him in on my 414 and that's why he's selling.
How bad is insurance on the twinkie? I'm looking for something to get my multi in.

I’m guessing insurance is around 6-7k for a newer AMEL pilot.

My son’s an MEI. Buy the plane and I’m sure arrangement can be made for getting the rating.

How bad is insurance on the twinkie? I'm looking for something to get my multi in.

It wouldn't be my first choice to do multi training in a turbocharged aircraft. The inflight shutdown and restarts wouldn't be nice on the turbos.

You'd also have to find someone willing to do multi training and a checkride in a Twin Comanche. I did mine in one, but didn't find out until after they have a real bad reputation with VMC. My local examiner wasn't thrilled but still did it. He had an "exciting" experience in one once, something he'd never forgotten. The VMC demo was simulated with his feet blocking the rudder pedals to simulate loss of rudder authority at a much higher airspeed.

Aren't the twinkie turbos manual wastegates? Just leave them alone and presto, you have a NA twinkie? :)

Our DPEs wanted dual brakes. That was serious unobtanium for a PA30, the little pedals are unique. Webco had a kit for awhile using the larger seminole pedals (I think?), not sure what the disposition of that is lately. Our install of the kit was something like 5 grand back in 2008 or so.

Got my multi in a Twin Comanche exactly 50 years ago to the month. The instructor was ex-Air Force crazy person and didn't give a rat's patootie whether VMC demos were safe or not. I vividly remember limping one engine over a Georgetown Texas residential neighborhood sucking up upholstery trying to clear TV antennas sticking up in the air. If it didn't have dual brakes the instructor didn't care. Fun times. Sexy airplane when both engines are running.

Nothing scary about Vmc in a Twin Comanche if you have a clue as to what you are doing. 50 years ago, the FAA said to do these demos at low altitude and anyone with a CFI and a multi rating was a multi CFI. When the FAA quit being stupid, then the problem went away. That being said, they are not as docile was an Apache or Seminole, but no worse than a Travelair, 310, or a Baron, all if what have been screwed into the ground using the FAA's stupid guidance in use back in the 60's and 70's.

Aren't the twinkie turbos manual wastegates? Just leave them alone and presto, you have a NA twinkie? :)

Except that they don't perform as well as an NA Twinkie and cost more to maintain. Other than that . . .

Nothing scary about Vmc in a Twin Comanche if you have a clue as to what you are doing. 50 years ago, the FAA said to do these demos at low altitude and anyone with a CFI and a multi rating was a multi CFI. When the FAA quit being stupid, then the problem went away. That being said, they are not as docile was an Apache or Seminole, but no worse than a Travelair, 310, or a Baron, all if what have been screwed into the ground using the FAA's stupid guidance in use back in the 60's and 70's.
Thank you for that history lesson! So I guess I owe my instructor individually and the Air Force in general a somewhat-belated apology...he was only "following orders." Glad we survived but it burned a lasting memory into my brain.

Except that they don't perform as well as an NA Twinkie and cost more to maintain. Other than that . . .

maybe "just a twist or two" then :D Sounds like with the turbos off it might make a credible seminole impersonation.

@ktup-flyer This plane's been quite tempting so I just got an insurance quote this afternoon using this a/c specs.
With no MEL cert, 560h total hours, 500h complex -- $9100/yr. Comes down 9% with IFR. 10% after first 120h in the plane. Assumes 200k hull covg. They'd require 25h dual before solo (and of course the MEL rating itself).
They said a 310 or a Baron would be more expensive to insure since the twin comanche (even with turbo'd engines) is classified as a "transitional twin aircraft". I think was the wording. The others like 310/Baron are more expensive.
So if you're looking to get your twin rating... you should buy this before I do :p

@ktup-flyer This plane's been quite tempting so I just got an insurance quote this afternoon using this a/c specs.
With no MEL cert, 560h total hours, 500h complex -- $9100/yr. Comes down 9% with IFR. 10% after first 120h in the plane. Assumes 200k hull covg. They'd require 25h dual before solo (and of course the MEL rating itself).
They said a 310 or a Baron would be more expensive to insure since the twin comanche (even with turbo'd engines) is classified as a "transitional twin aircraft". I think was the wording. The others like 310/Baron are more expensive.
So if you're looking to get your twin rating... you should buy this before I do :p
That’s not far off from my quote for a 310Q

maybe "just a twist or two" then :D Sounds like with the turbos off it might make a credible seminole impersonation.
Reasonable in theory, very difficult in practice. You crank and crank and crank without much happening, and then when it does happen, the MAP jumps quickly. Then as you run down the runway, the MAP goes up more. There is no overboost protect in the system, being careful is key. At higher altitudes, it is easy to do, when you are only trying to get a couple of inches of MAP, not worth trying to screw around with it.

I got a quote for 200k hull $8314, however the insurer is requiring special approval and price justification to insure at that hull value. The insurer alternatively recommended to insure it for 115k for $5796 with a $2500 deductible in motion / $250 not in motion.

I'm Lance's son and this is my plane. It's time for me to either move on or keep it forever, so I've deeply discounted the price for a quick sale. The mods didn't like me updating this thread, but the TAP link in the first post has been updated with current info including pricing and my contact info for logs.

I'm Lance's son and this is my plane. It's time for me to either move on or keep it forever, so I've deeply discounted the price for a quick sale. The mods didn't like me updating this thread, but the TAP link in the first post has been updated with current info including pricing and my contact info for logs.
I thought you were some rando trying to piggyback on your dad's thread. My apologies!

How much did she sell for?
I totally wanted her but my mechanic wasn’t onboard and just a timing issue.

Back