Piper Pre-Buy near KLEX

Flyboy2000

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SAL
Hello Everyone,
First question of what will probably be many! I am starting the zany, crazy world of aircraft ownership. I would like a thorough pre-buy done on a PA28. Does anyone have a recommendation or know any good mechanics that are familiar with Piper ..within about 30mins of flight time from KLEX..Lexington Bluegrass Airport in Kentucky. I can not use Thoroughbred because of a conflict of interest. Thanks in advance for any info..

SAL
PA28-181

Suggest you obtain copies of complete Airworthiness Directive Status, Engine

Overhaul and last 3 Annual Inspections.

Have the Tech that will do your Annuals review them.

He may request other items such as 337s.

That way you have a head start on your first Annual.

Thank you
Muncie Aviation was also one of my first choices, but they do NOT do Pre Buy inspections.
I think its become a bit of a hastle for busy shops..and they do not want to get in the middle if deals encounter turbulence : )

Unfortunately; some folks want to consider the PB as a warranty from the Tech.

In some ways a good PB can be more involved than an Annual.

well here is where I am at:
After carefully reviewing the logbooks..I noticed that the Original Ad for the airplane (2400hrs TT) and the logbook, show (2980 hrs Hobbs)
The salesman said that they use Tach Time ! I said there is a about a 500 Hour discrepancy and I feel that at the very least Misrepresents the airplane and what I am willing to pay.
They said this is commonly how times are represented in aircraft sales. " some airplanes do not even have Hobbs, its a rental airplane thing"
Is this correct?

well here is where I am at:
After carefully reviewing the logbooks..I noticed that the Original Ad for the airplane (2400hrs TT) and the logbook, show (2980 hrs Hobbs)
The salesman said that they use Tach Time ! I said there is a about a 500 Hour discrepancy and I feel that at the very least Misrepresents the airplane and what I am willing to pay.
They said this is commonly how times are represented in aircraft sales. " some airplanes do not even have Hobbs, its a rental airplane thing"
Is this correct?
all maintenance goes by Tach time, not hobbs. most flight schools go by Hobbs time, i ripped the hobbs meter out of my plane very recently, it was there even though mine was never a flight school trainer. if i were you, i will go with Tach time as long as there is no discrepancy with the tach time

Roughly speaking, that is correct. Tach time is ~80% of Hobbs time. Hobbs x .8 = Tach Time.

OK
Its been a steep learning curve
But you are correct .. I've always been in trainers and rentals, so of course we go by Hobbs! But as an owner its all tach!

Back