Piper Passenger Window Replacement

MSUDavid

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MSUDavid
My copilot side window was cracked only about an inch down for several years. Then this month I leaned against it and the crack is now 7-8 inches in length. I need to replace it.

My mechanic is old school and very good. He likes doing the maintenance but has the owner purchase all parts. So, I need to buy all of the materials. So I have two questions (I will ask my A&P too).

1. Was the original factory window clear and 0.80 or .125”?
2. What other supplies are needed? Glue, felt, caulk?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!
Edited to add-this is a Piper Archer II

LP Aero (https://lpaero.com/) has Piper Archer II windows. They should know what you need if you give them the plane serial number.

Go for the slightly thicker window, 0.125. You'll be happier.

When installing thicker “glass” the retainer might need holes elongated. Not a big deal though.

i believe on some of the Cherokees the side windows are considered “Emergency Exits” and you egress by kicking the window out.

I replaced mine with the .125 version. Much better. I also opted for the "solar grey", which is UV resistant and helps keep things a bit cooler in the cockpit. I ended up replacing the pilot side as well to keep it the same and lastly added a vent window on the passenger side. It was a very worthwhile upgrade.

Back