Piper hard landing

40YearDream

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
40YearDream
I had quite a few hours in this airplane, and quite a few landings most not great, but not this bad -
I guess that's why most flight training happens in old airplanes. And, why renter's insurance might be a good idea?
upload_2020-9-5_20-46-12.jpeg

If the airframe is sound, you really have to work awful hard to bend up a Cherokee that bad.

that will be an insurance write off. engine alone is worth than the whole aircraft.

engine, prop, mount, labor. ?

I thought I recognized that plane:

But the spinner is the wrong color!

At the end of the day we must realize that stuff happens. There may be a few pilots here that have never dented an airplane. Can't say I'm one of them ...

Talked to the owner last week: engine checks out OK, prop is being straightened. He's going to fix it and fly it again. Looks like firewall-back is OK. New cowl parts, nose wheel, and engine mount, I assume.

At the end of the day we must realize that stuff happens. There may be a few pilots here that have never dented an airplane. Can't say I'm one of them ...
Haven't dented one while I'm inside it yet. ;)

That is tough to watch, keep that nose wheel off the ground! Forcing it down never works.

Sounds like Lycoming Sudden Stoppage AD time

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...e5f8683a0a4686256e9b004bc295/$FILE/041014.pdf

Compliance (e) Compliance with this AD is required as indicated before further flight if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective date of this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this AD. (f) Inspect, and if necessary repair, the crankshaft counter bored recess, the alignment dowel, the bolt hole threads, and the crankshaft gear for wear, galling, corrosion, and fretting in accordance with steps 1 through 5 of Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) No. 475C, dated January 30, 2003. (g) Remove the existing gear retaining bolt and lockplate from service, and install a new bolt and lockplate, in accordance with steps 6 and 7 of Lycoming MSB No. 475C, dated January 30, 2003. 8 Prohibition of Retaining Bolt and Lockplate (h) Do not install the gear retaining bolt and lockplate that were removed in paragraph (g) of this AD, into any engine.

Sounds like Lycoming Sudden Stoppage AD time

The prop was still spinning. Also earlier post said the engine checked out afterwards. The guy was just flying final WAY TOO fast. Should have performed a go-around. No excuse for stupidity like trying to save a landing like this.

..that poor wing spar!

some people just become passengers a second or two before touchdown and go along for the ride

As are the stripes down the side too.

Yep ... I was being a quite facetious as I remembered the video and it seemed to me that it may have been a similar error that caused both accidents. The plane in the video is a Warrior and the pic the PO posted appears to be a Cherokee.

Bad deal either way. I could point a finger if I never made a mistake ...

Didn’t catch the nature of your post, having looked the thread over too quick. Yes, both airplanes had a bad landing.

The prop was still spinning.
Doesn't matter:

Definition of Propeller Strike
(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows:
(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other
than minor dressing of the blades.
(2) Any incident during engine operation in which the propeller impacts a solid object that
causes a drop in revolutions per minute (RPM) and also requires structural repair of the propeller
(incidents requiring only paint touch-up are not included). This is not restricted to propeller strikes
against the ground.
(3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium, where
propeller damage is not normally incurred.

The prop was still spinning.
That’s the whole purpose of the directive. Sudden stoppage occurs when the engine is running, it can’t suddenly stop if it isn’t spinning.

Now, the OP didn’t specify whether the engine was actually tore down. It was just stated that it ‘checks out OK’ so who knows, but anyone in their right mind would get a tear down and inspect after an event like that.

That’s the whole purpose of the directive. Sudden stoppage occurs when the engine is running, it can’t suddenly stop if it isn’t spinning.

Now, the OP didn’t specify whether the engine was actually tore down. It was just stated that it ‘checks out OK’ so who knows, but anyone in their right mind would get a tear down and inspect after an event like that.

I understand. The primary point was regardless of engine operation, his was way too fast on final. Glad everyone survived and the plane could be fixed.

Last edited:
For closure, the AD defines the term prop strike:

Definition of Propeller Strike (i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows: (1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades. (2) Any incident during engine operation in which the propeller impacts a solid object that causes a drop in revolutions per minute (RPM) and also requires structural repair of the propeller (incidents requiring only paint touch-up are not included). This is not restricted to propeller strikes against the ground. (3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium, where propeller damage is not normally incurred. (j) The preceding definitions include situations where an aircraft is stationary and the landing gear collapses causing one or more blades to be substantially bent, or where a hanger door (or other object) strikes the propeller blade. These cases should be handled as sudden stoppages because of potentially severe side loading on the crankshaft flange, front bearing, and seal.

Back