Piper Cherokee, Black Knob?

@Clark1961, I have no idea "where this is coming from" and I'm quite sure the brand-new OP doesn't. In my unbiased 3rd-party opinion, you are kind of being a dick, even if you might be somewhat correct. Also, there isn't really a fast way to answer the question from the POH if you didn't catch it the first time - And you will forget 2/3 of what you read the first time anyway. This is all the manual has to say about it:

View attachment 63434
Not only this, but based on model year, that knob may or may not be there. Aint there on my 1969 cherokee 180.

I would even ask what the knob was for in addition to what type of "Cherokee" has that many fuel tanks.
Cherokee 235 up through 1977 and Cherokee Six through 1978 had that fuel selector arrangement. The ‘79 Six and the Lances had a simpler left/right selector, two interconnected tanks in each wing. Dakota just has two tanks.

There is typically a recurring condescending theme in most of his posts, that is not conducive to providing help or being friendly to others. I just don’t get it. I would imagine the behavior would change if hiding behind a computer monitor wasn’t an option.

Yep...I think everyone here has noticed this trend...sort of a “bipolar” theme.

Take a look at the photo. Anyone know what this is?
1d7574158983fdcf5b7087934ed888a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T397U using Tapatalk
Whatever you do, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!!

Now the real question is, how much does a replacement knob from New Piper cost?

$679.59

OK, I made that up. It's really $1,679.59 and it takes 11 weeks to get it.

OK, I made that up to. In actuality, you can't get one at all, at any price.

Now the real question is, how much does a replacement knob from New Piper cost?

$679.59

OK, I made that up. It's really $1,679.59 and it takes 11 weeks to get it.

OK, I made that up to. In actuality, you can't get one at all, at any price.

Yea you can. Check the Aviation isle at Home Depot.

Holy Crap... I leave you kids alone for 48 hours and look what you've done! LOL

I appreciate the prompt replies, sarcasm and all. :)

The plane was a 1972 Cherokee 235 (hence the tank arrangement). Was looking at purchasing it and the owner asked me if I knew what the knob was for. I went through the PoH and couldn't find any answers so I figured this would be the next best place. Now I know, he knows... and more importantly, I will soon have my first plane ( Cherokee 235 in case you didn't put 2 and 2 together ;))

Thanks PoA community.

Welcome to the forum, and presumably quite shortly to the "joy" of airplane ownership. ;)

But for future reference understand this is NOT the official prescribed PoA way of doing it. You are supposed to start an open ended thread inviting all of us to advise you on what type of airplane to buy. You are required to provide zero mission information in the first post, forcing us to drag it out of you (or just make it up as we go). The main course conclusion will be a heated debate between Cirrus and Bo, with the mandatory Mooney side order. Somehow a taildragger will be tipped for dessert. :cool:

Try to get it right next time. Clark wants another shot. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum, and presumably quite shortly to the "joy" of airplane ownership. ;)

But for future reference understand this is NOT the official prescribed PoA way of doing it. You are supposed to start an open ended thread inviting all of us to advise you on what type of airplane to buy. You are required to provide zero mission information in the first post, forcing us to drag it out of you (or just make it up as we go). The main course conclusion will be a heated debate between Cirrus and Bo, with the mandatory Mooney side order. Somehow a taildragger will be tipped for dessert. :cool:

Try to get it right next time. Clark wants another shot. :rolleyes:

What @GRG55 is saying is, if you can't get more than two pages of responses then you need to up your game somehow. Done properly this thread should be hitting 6-8 pages by now. ;) :rofl:

Holy Crap... I leave you kids alone for 48 hours and look what you've done! LOL

I appreciate the prompt replies, sarcasm and all. :)

The plane was a 1972 Cherokee 235 (hence the tank arrangement). Was looking at purchasing it and the owner asked me if I knew what the knob was for. I went through the PoH and couldn't find any answers so I figured this would be the next best place. Now I know, he knows... and more importantly, I will soon have my first plane ( Cherokee 235 in case you didn't put 2 and 2 together ;))

Thanks PoA community.
I had a 1968 235. Great plane. Have fun.

Eric, welcome to the forum! I suggest you go and immediately read the poh about 3 times and take notes along the way. Also suggested reading is mike bush’s new book on engines. Then the FAR 2-3 times and you’ll be ready to consider partaking in discussion around here. It is required to do at least one hour research for any potential questions you are considering posting.

Or just post away and let it eat at the soul of the brilliant minds that patrol the board looking to call out us ignorant folks.

It's the " save your toes from frostbite button" that really really works when you need it for those extremely low outside ambient temps. If you fly in warm climates, I can understand why it would never come up to ask.

Last edited:
We have a 235F, great cross country airplane, not so much for rear passengers :)

The 5 inch stretch only came after the F model

Back