Piper Avionics Upgrade

I can see the benefits of having everything you need directly in front of you. Had a long talk with a pretty wise old avionics guy I am friends with in FL. His concerns matched mine that being the number of parts and gizmos associated with a full HSI system. I mean good gawd Marty, where does the flux capacitor go!!!!

I am sure it all adds weight to the aircraft especially the little R2D2 gyro guy also, but that's just my uninformed observation.

Ed, did your Comanche come with the HSI or did you have is installed? I am seeing full systems "As Removed" in the $3000 range and would expect the instal to be at least that much. Am I off base?

Luckily it came with the HSI. The only thing I had installed in the panel was the clock, and I had to replace a POS radio when it died with the SL40. The "MFD" is actually a portable that slides in and out.

Take a look at the sandel systems too, they have a all in one solid state gyro, flux box which you can use instead of the remote mount king stuff, also the EHSIs are easy on the mx, just a bulb which is a field install, plus you have the RMI airspace, waypoints etc all on there.

One of the models can even turn into a AI if your primary AI fails.

In the Saratoga I use the glove box is gone. When the panel was 100% redone the plastic was replaced with a full metal panel. I like the very clean look of it.

I've seen it both ways, but I love having my glove box on the Lance. Allows me to store one of my notepads, and various charges/cables without having the cluttered about. One thing you can never have too much of is storage! There's so much panel real estate in the PA32 line, I can't imagine ever having a need to remove that box.

Back