Piper Avionics Upgrade

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
I am in the planning stages for an avionics upgrade on the Arrow. I have already purchased a 430 with matching 106, KX155 with matching 203, new KT-74, GPSS converter, and plan to purchase a PS8000BT that will be available from a salvage aircraft soon.

Here's my first question; When everything is complete I will have nothing in the right stack. Everything will be in the center stack or in front of me. Is anyone aware of an stc that provides for a glovebox on the right side of a PA28 similar to what the Debonair has?

One thing that is lacking in the Arrow os a place to put stuff like mbl phone, hearing aids and batteries, among other stuff.

Second question has to do with the panel. My 1977 aircraft has the dreaded yucky plastic overlay on the panel. Is anyone aware of a company that makes aftermarket overlays that would fasten in place of the ones I have that would look better and wouldn't cost my first born?

IIRC your "right stack" was originally a glove box. Cardboard I think with a plastic door with a Piper emblem.

Second question has to do with the panel. My 1977 aircraft has the dreaded yucky plastic overlay on the panel. Is anyone aware of a company that makes aftermarket overlays that would fasten in place of the ones I have that would look better and wouldn't cost my first born?

plane plastics makes piper stuff. About 0.5 AMU for the full panel IIRC

But isn't that just new stuff like my old stuff?

Ahh, I misunderstood the question.

Many shops can make an aluminum overlay fairly cheaply. Dunno if their charges reflect their costs though. Instrument lighting would have to be fixed since the crappy plastic is also the light reflector.

Last edited:
The original did not have a glove box. That was the PA-32. I'm not sure that an STC is really necessary to fabricate a glove box considering many planes go the other way to eliminate the glove boxes.

There have been some companies that used to do graphite but the faa ran them out of business

The original did not have a glove box. That was the PA-32. I'm not sure that an STC is really necessary to fabricate a glove box considering many planes go the other way to eliminate the glove boxes.

I'm not sure what year he has but some PA28s came with a glove box.

But isn't that just new stuff like my old stuff?

Water dipping wood, carbon fiber, camo or wherever you want for finish is the easiest way to refinish plastic, stick over finish comes off after baking in the sun.

Go big and stuff a MDF over there.

Tim, this looks like a really nice upgrade.
Will you do the installation yourself? I would be interested in having a look at how it is done. :yes:

do you have the WAAS upgrade on the 430? might want to do that while you're at it. My panel is very similar to yours except I got the PMA450 audio panel instead.

In the Saratoga I use the glove box is gone. When the panel was 100% redone the plastic was replaced with a full metal panel. I like the very clean look of it.

do you have the WAAS upgrade on the 430? might want to do that while you're at it. My panel is very similar to yours except I got the PMA450 audio panel instead.

I believe Garmin has also announced that it will be dropping support for the standard 430. They said for now they will continue to support the 430w.

Yes the 430 has wass
I will be having the installation done by a shop
MFD would be nice

Imagine the right stack gone.

Attachments

• GEDC0041.JPG
    GEDC0041.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
The Center stack will look like this except for adding a PS8000BT at the top.

Attachments

• IMAG0787.jpg
    IMAG0787.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Probably too late, but I'd get a HSI if you don't already have one, that's a few bucks and some time to invest to not have a slaved HSI.

Last edited:
Used HSI's are pretty inexpensive to purchase but they can be expensive to maintain/repair and there's a lot of crap to install and by the time your done might as well go with an Aspen, unless you know something I don't which isn't that much of a stretch.

I've seen the king units going for cheap, if you get one with all the mods done on it, should not have too much of a issue.

I have a Sandel 3308 and I love it, maybe I'm oldschool but I prefer my six pack with the sandel to a aspen. The only mx I've needed was to replace the OBS knobs plastic u joint, little over a hundred buck field repair as I recall.

Anything that's going to be doing any heavy IFR work really is missing out not having one, also having it slaved is great, no need to check the compass and adjust.

The Center stack will look like this except for adding a PS8000BT at the top.

I stepped up from a KMA24 audio panel. My family enjoys having the bluetooth. I've also enjoyed having the KT74. The traffic display on the ipad is nice to have.

I have a Sandel 3308 and I love it, maybe I'm oldschool but I prefer my six pack with the sandel to a aspen. .

Hmmm, vacuum & electric vs electric w/battery. Not sure I see your point.

On the maintenance side, both Sandel (bulb!) and Aspen (ADHARS) have their problems...

I don't care for the Aspen presentation. I know a lot that love it, I am just not one of them. I do love the presentation of the G500, but that's a bit rich for me. That being said going with the standard 6-pack and upgrading the rest of the panel works for me now as it is familiar.

I do love my HSI.

I also like the ability to not have to look down and have everything right in front of me.

Attachments

• 2013-11-13 12.47.50.jpg
    2013-11-13 12.47.50.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
I do love my HSI.

I also like the ability to not have to look down and have everything right in front of me.

I've never used an HSI except when I was getting my multi rating. It really is a slick item to have in the panel.

I've never used an HSI except when I was getting my multi rating. It really is a slick item to have in the panel.

It was something I said I never cared to have. Now that I have it, I can't regress. :rofl:

I can see the benefits of having everything you need directly in front of you. Had a long talk with a pretty wise old avionics guy I am friends with in FL. His concerns matched mine that being the number of parts and gizmos associated with a full HSI system. I mean good gawd Marty, where does the flux capacitor go!!!!

I am sure it all adds weight to the aircraft especially the little R2D2 gyro guy also, but that's just my uninformed observation.

Ed, did your Comanche come with the HSI or did you have is installed? I am seeing full systems "As Removed" in the $3000 range and would expect the instal to be at least that much. Am I off base?

Back