Piper Arrow IV T tail. What's the story on this plane?

$20K ? lol...

We started out with him not knowing how to do the process which is weird. I said I know how, and I'll do everything except signatures which he needs to provide. He said fine, I said no charge, but I want the plane. There was a long pause, then some verbal dancing, I got tired of farting around and hemming and hawing and he finally said with all the back fees, and interest and such it was $24k. I said eight, he said he would maybe consider $22k once the lien was in place, which sounded like 'eff you, once it's done and you have to take my price or eat spit'. So I said nine was it for me, and he said no way. I told him to let it rot. :wink2:

I bet dollars to donuts that in 3 months he'll have done the lien process, and I'll see it advertised for $15k somewhere. I was willing to go up to $12k for the AC, but without knowing the insides of the engine, or the condition on the prop, that was the limit.

Best case I do all the prep and repair, hundreds of hours of work and at best it'll be worth $50k. If I have worst case $40k in it, I'm not going to bust my hump for $10k. Might not even go for $50k with the old radios, but that's where I would start after I flew it for a while.

I'm just going to get a Cher with AC somewhere. I see them once in a while on BS, I'll just bid my time. It won't be hot in TX for another 6 mo or so. Love shopping planes!

Doc, make a tender to the airport sponsor... you never know...

Sorry Spike, private airport, and airport mgr makes all money decisions. He's a pretty nice guy and all, I like the way he runs the airport but as a financial guy, he's completely lost.

hold tight....and keep your powder dry.

Deals always come up now and again. If you are cocked and loaded then buy in a moment's notice is the key.....that's how I got mine.

$50K ought to get you a nice Arrow with a WAAS panel.:yes:

Hmmm...

...make the Owner an offer. Lease may not have a pledge of the contents as security.

Hmmm...

...make the Owner an offer. Lease may not have a pledge of the contents as security.

I'll look into it.

Which brings up another possible idea here. The goal is a plane with AC. Suppose I find a nice T tail Arrow without the AC option. Is there a way legally to remove the AC from sn xxxx which has been parted out and put it in the same type cert aircraft with sn yyyy? Just like an STC, but not an STC just an option to the orig type cert.

I'll look into it.

Which brings up another possible idea here. The goal is a plane with AC. Suppose I find a nice T tail Arrow without the AC option. Is there a way legally to remove the AC from sn xxxx which has been parted out and put it in the same type cert aircraft with sn yyyy? Just like an STC, but not an STC just an option to the orig type cert.

Yes, if AC is available o the Type Certificate, you can salvage the system out of another plane of the same type and install it on a 337.

sorry it didn't work out. I know it's aggravating to get excited about something and then have it fall apart.

Well, sadly this deal just went south. The mgr told me what he HAS to get out of the deal to make it work, and he's way out of luck. It's going to go to the south field for a few years then be parted out I guess.

Oh well, it was a nice idea.
From long experience, I know of only two ways that a deal becomes completely dead:

1. The seller does a deal with someone else.
  2. The buyer stops pursuing it.
Several people here have made worthwhile suggestions for further pursuit. In addition, and the simplest way, is just to stay in friendly touch with the seller. Maybe a call a month to inquire the status of the airplane, an airport visit every week or two to see if the airplane has been moved, etc. You can turn the keep-warm call into a joke: "Hey, Fred, I'm just making my monthly call to see if you've fallen out of love with that dead airplane yet ..."

There really is no permanent number that a seller "HAS to get out of the deal." It varies with his mood, the hassles that he foresees at that moment, the potential buyers that he foresees at that moment, and today's level of urgency to get a deal done. Because of this, one of the things that I try to do while exploring a deal is to learn as much has I can about the seller. His finances (or the airport's in this case), his education and background, his experience in business and negotiations, any external pressures, etc. All of these are also factors in his decision making on any given day.

I'm not saying this is a good deal; it may well not be. But at this stage, it is only dead if you decide to kill it.

If it's on the TCDS, and the parts are listed in the IPC, why would you fill out a 337 on the installation? :dunno:

Not sure, perhaps not even that. I guess it's not a modification if it's listed on the TCDS even if not original equipment on the S/N?:dunno: I would assume it to be a mod, but I never looked it up, so I won't stick by it.

no....but, it can't be soo easy. :)

update the equipment list....and W&B is what I'd expect along with the log book entry. :yesnod:

I asked the IA about it, he's been around since the Wright's. He had to scratch his head a bit, and said he would have to look up the new SN to make sure it's eligible. After that he said we would weight and balance, then install all the gewgaws, and not change anything else, then do the W&B again. He was comfy with a log book entry;

"Removed Piper air con system including all lines and plumbing from Piper PA28RT-201, SN xxxxxx. Bench test pump, valves, blower and pressure test lines and exchangers ok. Installed in Piper PA28RT-201 SN yyyyyy in accordance with instructions in repair and maint publication zz-zzzz dated xx/yy/zzzz. Tested, weighed and ground run checks ok. Air test, cycle test checks ok. Update operators manual with new W&B data. Signed; joe Smith IA#0000000000."

FWIW, the AC lines on the new Cherokees are run through the hat channels on the bottom of the airplane. I'm sure an AC retrofit can be done but it would likely be a time consuming project since you'd need to remove and reinstall the hat channels. The older planes might be done differently though, I've only worked on one Cherokee that has AC.

Back