Piper Arrow flood on the market

The market is full of Piper Arrow PA-28R over 50 listed in trade-a-plane. Since the change in the commercial requirements the Arrow has flat lined in price. Is it just the flight schools dumping them or what, why did so many show up for sale now.

What changes in commercial requirements are you referring to?

Any thoughts on the Arrow 180hp vs 200hp? I’m a new pilot awaiting my checkride, took a few lessons in the Arrow and I like it. More stuff to do than the Cessna.
If speed is what you're looking for, take a look at the late 60's C and F model Mooneys. The cabin geometry is a bit different (lower seat, closer sidewalls) so not everyone finds them comfortable (but I'm 6' and found it comfortable enough). You'll have a tough time finding a factory built plane that will outrun a Mooney on the same fuel burn. Some of the RV's and certain other experimentals are quicker on the same burn, but very little on the factory built side is as fast for the fuel. And they're built like tanks.

What changes in commercial requirements are you referring to?
The training no longer requires 10 hours in a complex airplane. You can also take the test in any airplane—complex or TAA not required. My current CFI just took his commercial in his Cirrus. My previous CFI just updated his C172 to comply with the TAA rules.

(ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;

I wonder how many people do the training in a turbine-powered airplane.

I doubt that many flight schools will be getting rid of their Arrows since they are nice inexpensive planes. I fly my brother’s 1977 Turbo Arrow and it sips gas when poking holes in the sky (8-10 gph) and goes fast (150-160 kts) when you want to go somewhere.

Complex aircraft are going to cost more to maintain than a TAA 172. The 172 will be used by about everyone, not just those seeking the Commercial rating.

Public service announcement:

Some folks here are replying to TWO-YEAR-OLD posts!

You're welcome. ;)

I was hoping to get in my first plane around 50k with some avionics installed and a mid time engine.

Just got done shopping unsuccessfully for an Arrow. Plenty of them on the market, but asking prices are higher than what you hope for. Anything in the 50's had some significant drawback: very high time AF, high time engine, missing logs, major damage history, etc. Most common asking price was 60-70k, but a lot of those had issues too. Clean aircraft with no red flags are scarce and run 90-100k for nice ones. I have limited experience buying airplanes, but in general the negotiating floor for most things is about 10% off asking price. Could be the current market is a buyer's market and you can get a bigger discount if you are patient and aggressive.

My price range was 60-70k, and I eventually concluded that most Arrows in that range carried some kind of risk to resale value that was more than I was willing to tolerate. If I had someone helping me that knew more about the market, I might have moved forward. Without that, and with limited time to shop, I decided that a more simple fixed gear aircraft would allow me to get a better deal with less risk.

I'm not a good example to follow though, as I would up buying a Decathlon, which has absolutely nothing in common other than being a single engine airplane.

Last edited:
Fellow in a hangar across from me just sold his turbo Arrow III 2 weeks ago for $122,000. It was a very nice example with good paint, excellent leather interior and decent panel. But still, that's a pretty impressive price for a 40+ year old Arrow imo.

Back