Piper Arrow: Battery-Spill Corrosion

Battery spill corrosion during pre-buy - runaway or not?

• Cardinal risk - runaway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not nice - but no cardinal risk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Martin Stolle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Martin
Hey there,

I'm Martin (from Germany) and new to this forum. I just visited an Arrow that I'm considering for purchase. Was wondering whether you could share your thoughts on two points:

1. The bird had a battery acid issue. Looks like the acid "attatcked" the outer skin of the fuselage bottom plank. My opinion is that once the spill was stopped and the skin conserved, corrosion should be stopped as well. I know it's not "nicely" repaired, but can anybody "technically" convince me why he would run away from this lady? (see figures 1 - 2)

2. Inside the fuselage, there are these brackets and rivetted planks and brackets (marked in the photo). Something tells me this is not original - am I wrong here. Maybe those of you who no the bird better than me could comment on that. (see figure 3 )

Many thanks in advance from Corona-plagued Munich,

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_4871-min.jpg
    IMG_4871-min.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4872-min.jpg
    IMG_4872-min.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4875-min.jpg
    IMG_4875-min.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 36
Was wondering whether you could share your thoughts on two points:
On points 1 & 2, there's not enough information to give an opinion especially with the "battery acid" damage. Since aircraft repair is much different on your side of the pond under EASA, I would discuss these items with the shop that will maintain it for you in Germany. There might be an issue with these items that would not be an issue under FAA regulations on this side. Good luck.

Back