Piper Apache in Texas region?

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
As part of our research into a potential upgrade from the Arrow we're looking into partial or full geronimo mod samples of the Apache 160 (non-bench seat). At any rate, we're trying to find a flight school or willing private owner in Texas with an Apache that could spare a couple minutes of their time and let us size the cabin up to see if it's something worth pursuing further. Anywhere in Texas is less than 3 hour flight for us, so it'd be a great excuse to fly out of town for the day. Any leads would be appreciated. Looking to do this next week during my wife's spring break. Thanks!

P.S. I'm fully aware of the incredible lack of judgement I'm displaying in showcasing this potential airplane to my wife. It'd help if she weren't egging me on about upgrading. Thoughts and prayers for my speedy recovery from this latest bout of financial idiocy are appreciated. :eek::D

I like your wife! And a Geronimo is a pretty nice plane if done right.
Suggest you call or email John Talmage at Diamond Aire in Kalispell, MT. He owns the STCs for the Geronimo and may have a customer or two down your way that he might be able to refer you to.

Go to Mt. Pleasant, TX, and see the Mid America Flight Museum. You'll meet some great people, see some really cool planes, and they have a couple of Apaches... even one on floats! Tell them Jack sent you.

Photo from Mid America Flight Museum's Facebook Page.
21768651_1496657220370218_3389534183000373796_o.jpg

Last edited:
How many of us here got their ME in an Apache? I did. Justin, TX 1987...flew in/out of an 1800' grass strip with wires on one end, a fence on the other and a hump in the middle. Fun stuff. :D

(Sorry for the derail).

Looked at both Apaches and beech Travel airs. Ended up owning a Travel air,I do like the Geronimo.

At any rate, we're trying to find a flight school or willing private owner in Texas with an Apache that could spare a couple minutes of their time and let us size the cabin up to see if it's something worth pursuing further.
Go talk to Tamara Griffith (pronounced Tah-mah-rah) at Fox Aviation in Justin, TX. (817) 217-8027

Tamara is an extremely active, extremely knowledgeable, and extremely fun instructor and A&P. Well liked by the local community.

She owns an Aztec for Multi-engine training. But she should be very capable of answering your questions about any of the Piper Twins.

I have attached an article she wrote about flying twin engine aircraft. I encourage you to call her.

Attachments

• Welcome to Twin Tim.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I got my ME in a Duchess but while I was working on it, I flew right seat with a local pilot I knew in his Geronimo and he let me land it. Funny thing is that landing was better than most all of my Duchess landings.

Another person to go talk to is Pat Brown at West Houston Airport (KIWS). He has access to a Geronimo. And he is the AOPA You Can Fly Ambassador for Texas. 832-654-9831

I got my ME in a Duchess but while I was working on it, I flew right seat with a local pilot I knew in his Geronimo and he let me land it. Funny thing is that landing was better than most all of my Duchess landings.

You just got lucky...:popcorn:

Photo from Mid America Flight Museum's Facebook Page.
21768651_1496657220370218_3389534183000373796_o.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Notice he is going DOWN!

Back