Piper aircraft wash $500.

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
How to turn a wash job on your piper PA-28 into a $500. repair. Give some well meaning kids a wash stick and let them wash the bottom side of your wing. Their are vent tubes 1/4" around sticking out about 1" from the bottom of the wing if you hit them with a wash stick they break off flush with the bottom of the wing. To change them you have to pull the tank, I see a lot of planes with the vent tubes broken off not sure it changes things that much, and I am sure a lot of IA's look the other way on a annual.

Vent tubes ?? What vent tubes? :)

I had a mechanic tell me the vent tube on a piper cherokee fuel tank is cut at an angle so that ram air pressure will pressurize the tank. If it's flush, it wouldn't do that.

Maybe if they were flush (straight cut, not angled), they'd siphon the fuel OUT! :eek:

Didn’t we have thread about girls in bikinis washing planes, I don’t remember anyone being so concerned about their planes then?

Didn’t we have thread about girls in bikinis washing planes, I don’t remember anyone being so concerned about their planes then?

What planes? I may need to rewatch that video!

Now I feel good about spending better part of Saturday washing under the wing and the belly myself. May be I should wear a swimsuit next time

I guess so. I think before I'd pull the tank and buy those new screws, I would seriously entertain an "owner fabricated" tube to stick into the end of the broken off one.

Back