Piper Aircraft receives largest single trainer order in company's history

Theres orders and then there are deliveries.

Maybe that'll get some more Piper's back into domestic training fleets. With ongoing production it should be possible to get production slots for single aircraft orders.

Interestingly, Piper has resumed factory tours for the general public. I think that says something about how they consider the state of their production line.

I wonder how much impact this is going to have in the foreign pilot training industry in the US

Those damn Chinese! Buying our planes. How dare they! We need to stop shipping our planes over there.

Hey, the rhetoric works for jobs, why not planes?

Those damn Chinese! Buying our planes. How dare they! We need to stop shipping our planes over there.

Hey, the rhetoric works for jobs, why not planes?

Because the direction of money flow is completely different?

Good for them. Piper really does make solid, honest training airplanes. Their "step up" training concept is just as valid now as it ever was. I'm surprised the Chinese haven't just bought the company by now.

They should consider bringing back a battery electric version of the Tomahawk just for pattern/landing training.

If the trainers workout,the Chinese ,will probably buy the company. Bring back the tomahawk,with a Rotax 915 IS.

Hasn't China already bought a few airplane companies? Why buy planes from the one they don't own?

I wonder how much impact this is going to have in the foreign pilot training industry in the US

Exactly...willing to bet this order has squat to do with GA in China but rather fast tracking commercial training domestically for them rather than shipping to the US for all the ratings.

Exactly...willing to bet this order has squat to do with GA in China but rather fast tracking commercial training domestically for them rather than shipping to the US for all the ratings.
that makes sense. keep the money at home. I know someone from china and she said the Chinese love to take our money

China still heavily restricts their airspace, so not sure how GA would be able to grow. But the concept of training Chinese pilots on Chinese soil makes churning out pilots that much quicker (and much lower risk of said Chinese flight students deciding not to return to China.)

I know someone from china and she said the Chinese love to take our money

That was true back in the early 40s as well. Probably much earlier.

I have yet to meet the Chinese national that was not just greedy greedy greedy. I am sure there are a few who aren't, but I haven't met them.

Of course. But at least they are buying planes and sending us some money. Surprised they can't just knock them off themselves.

If the trainers workout,the Chinese ,will probably buy the company. Bring back the tomahawk,with a Rotax 915 IS.

Realistically, if the trainers work out, the Chinese will probably take them apart to figure out how to copy them.

that makes sense. keep the money at home. I know someone from china and she said the Chinese love to take our money

Seriously??? You can't see that for yourself?? We also LOVE to give it to them. They don't hide it, or try to keep it on the down low, they are super above board with their plan for world domination. I can't fault them at all. We are just so incredibly egotistic and self centered that we really don't care that in a decade or so they will be dictating our terms for a bailout just like Germany did to Greece recently... only on a much bigger scale.

It's ain't going to be pretty, but for now... Go China!!! Give us that super cheap stuff we crave!!

That was true back in the early 40s as well. Probably much earlier.

I have yet to meet the Chinese national that was not just greedy greedy greedy. I am sure there are a few who aren't, but I haven't met them.

Are you telling me that they are greedier than Americans? I can't see how that's possible. They learned from the best.

If I see it's manufactured in China I don't buy it..:)

Well, at this stage in the take over, that means you don't buy much of anything. Buying Made in America is nearly impossible now. The exception being antiques and used vintage things. However we can sometimes choose to spread our trade deficit around and not directly fund the Chinese government by seeking out, or choosing products that are manufactured in some other country like Thailand, Viet Nam, Korea, Indonesia, or India and if we're lucky we can still score the good stuff from Japan, Taiwan, or even Germany!

I was looking at two foot carpenter's levels on Saturday at a local hardware store. My choices of country of origin Germany, or China of course, but the outlier was a nice one made in Israel and if I were to buy that day, the Israeli one is what I would have chosen.

I'm not desperate, so I'll keep looking for an American made one for awhile...

If the Chinese did buy Piper, they’d be buying it from Brunei. So it’s not like the US would be losing something we hadn’t already lost. But I guess it would look nice in their aviation portfolio along with Mooney, Cirrus, Continental, etc.

Last edited:
Back