Pimp my plane - in for paint & need a design

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
My plane is in for paint but I have not yet decided on a paint scheme. I have a couple weeks before I need an answer. How did you choose your design? Any recommendations from the bizarre to mundane?

1970's Van airbrush design. That's what I'm gonna do when I win that WoH archer.

Just make sure the base color is haze white...like most every other little fast hard to see experimental. ;)

Controlling at OSH the joke is always when you see a plane do something erratic on final look close and hard and usually you'll see a haze white experimental (many times a long-EZ) screaming in.

Jokes aside, good luck on your scheme search. I think a paint job would be exciting.

My plane is in for paint but I have not yet decided on a paint scheme. I have a couple weeks before I need an answer. How did you choose your design? Any recommendations from the bizarre to mundane?

I can't stand it when people paint and it looks like every other effing plane. Like painting a 79 182 in the 2008 182 scheme......I'm like, WTF is wrong with you, people? Seriously?

Not all planes need to be white with some stupid effing stripes on the side.

PLEEEASE don't do something stupid/hideous like this:

img.axd

Help us out here. Other than flying, what are your hobbies? Favorite movie? Hottest chick. Favorite food?

Help us out here. Other than flying, what are your hobbies? Favorite movie? Hottest chick. Favorite food?
This plane has been used as a commuter to work location and back to home weekly for over a decade. it is a workhorse, not a show or prancing horse though I have owned one of those before. I like travel, live music, microbreweries to frozen drinks, the beach to mountains. movies I like from the big chill to animal house to more recent stuff. Hottest chick? I'm going with the wife. favorite food is a bunch of different types from shellfish to Mexican to a heath bar blizzard.

Good point. How about a favorite sports team? I might paint mine gold & white with a picture of Yellow Jacket on the side.

Good point. How about a favorite sports team? I might paint mine gold & white with a picture of Yellow Jacket on the side.
Not big on sports. I watch the super bowl for the commercials and the party.

This plane has been used as a commuter to work location and back to home weekly for over a decade. it is a workhorse, not a show or prancing horse though I have owned one of those before. I like travel, live music, microbreweries to frozen drinks, the beach to mountains. movies I like from the big chill to animal house to more recent stuff. Hottest chick? I'm going with the wife. favorite food is a bunch of different types from shellfish to Mexican to a heath bar blizzard.

Might help if ya tell us what it is? Or is it your avatar?

Here are a few I like:
I like that Rocket too. It's much prettier in person and has iridescent paint that looks purple from one angle, dark green from another. Not sure it would look good on a most planes though!
15647444292_33980236b5_b.jpg

8137081721_b5631ae17b_b.jpg

8137108661_013c383db6_b.jpg

8137136564_e815503dbe_b.jpg

We have tentatively ruled out the chameleon paint on the cowl as it can't be touched up and the cowling screws tend to chip the paint.

View attachment 51733
Sorry, yes, it is my avatar.

That's pretty as is! Maybe the tail portion more of an up swept look with the stripe? I do like the Road Runner though. Maybe a screaming eagle on the nose with feather back, as though in flight.

upload_2017-2-27_8-57-37.png upload_2017-2-27_8-58-40.pngupload_2017-2-27_8-59-10.png upload_2017-2-27_9-0-34.png

This is one I saw at an airshow at Willow Grove NAS in 1976 on a US Navy F-4.

upload_2017-2-27_9-3-58.png

That's pretty as is! Maybe the tail portion more of an up swept look with the stripe? I do like the Road Runner though. Maybe a screaming eagle on the nose with feather back, as though in flight.

View attachment 51734 View attachment 51735View attachment 51736 View attachment 51737

This is one I saw at an airshow at Willow Grove NAS in 1976 on a US Navy F-4.

View attachment 51738
Problem with it currently is the fill material under the paint is separating from the composite taking pieces of paint off. It will be stripped to the composite and redone completely.
I like the Road Runner. might end up with a smaller version on the tail.

Problem with it currently is the fill material under the paint is separating from the composite taking pieces of paint off. It will be stripped to the composite and redone completely.
I like the Road Runner. might end up with a smaller version on the tail.

Yeah that'd be cool, on the tail. Just make sure you show us a pic of however you end up getting it painted.

Is it OK if I want to put a personal piece of comic art on my plane as a pinup girl? Or too much for a Saratoga?

KITTYPRYDE_SDCC2012_TerryDODSON.jpg

VERY nice. Although the hapless Wiley seems an odd mascot graphic?

We thought Wile E (I thought it was Wiley too before getting the graphic) was funny and being an experimental having the acme co seemed all too appropriate. Someone told me once there is a little bit of truth in all good humor...

By the way these guys were cheap (think mid 4 figures for complete strip and repaint) and they are looking for more work. They are in Northeast TN and not on an airport. They said they might travel to you if you have a suitable working location. Otherwise you would need to trailer it to their shop. Email me if you would like their contact info.

We thought Wile E (I thought it was Wiley too before getting the graphic) was funny and being an experimental having the acme co seemed all too appropriate. Someone told me once there is a little bit of truth in all good humor...

Last fall I had a young coyote try to cross the runway in front of me just as I touched down. No way of avoiding it and I flattened the poor thing with the nose wheel of the Aztec (fortunately avoiding the mess of a propeller hit).

Ever since my pilot friends have been pressing me to put some Roadrunner nose art on the plane. :rolleyes:

Back