Pilots Talking on the Radio

Try picking out the radio calls in Pakistan and Africa. The foreign accents don't help.

I don't quite understand this stuck mic business. At least in the plane I fly with an SL-40, a different sound comes out of the headset when the PTT is pressed, so it's pretty darn near impossible to have a stuck mic and not know, unless you're totally zoned out. And if someone isn't calling you back, you're probably not completely zoned out. You'd be listening for him.

+1...

On my plane, when I transmit I get a red light that illuminates . It is clearly marked TX... I too, also get a different tone in my headset during a transmit event..

A stuck mic might confuse me for about 10 seconds but I would hope I can troubleshoot it real quick.:dunno::yesnod:..

I've had an intermittent stuck mic and it can be very confusing. The radio did not have a TX light (maybe that's why they started installing them). It seemed like an intermittent radio failure to us.

In no particular order, my peeves are:

1) 90% of the things people use guard for
2) Full read-backs in place of "wilco" or "roger"
3) Controllers who play lil Wayne on the radio. I don't care how you talk off-duty, but you need to annunciate your words at work.
4) Tower controllers who think that I can hear a word that they are saying over the house party going on in the background.

#3 & 4 mostly just apply to military fields, where I run into this more often than not.
:no:. "Roger" and "Wilco" have their place and I use them when appropriate, but there are some cases where a full read-back is the safe thing to do. If I were a controller, I'd request a full read-back on complex instructions just to make sure we're on the same page.

:no:. "Roger" and "Wilco" have their place and I use them when appropriate, but there are some cases where a full read-back is the safe thing to do. If I were a controller, I'd request a full read-back on complex instructions just to make sure we're on the same page.

Absolutely. Hold short instructions, landing clearances, altitude assignments, etc all should be repeated. I just meant all the extraneous other things that a lot of folks just blindly read back when they don't need to. It isn't a huge deal normally, but at the wrong time, this excessive chatter becomes quite annoying.

I love it when 2-3 pilots start swapping their "war stories" on CTAF in northeast.... The times I wish I told them to STFU and let me listen for traffic... And they are from the same field. Land, go to each other's hangar, and talk your hearts out.

122.8 on any given day around here in the summer...I don't know why I bother turning on the radios anymore!

Some guys think 122.8 is there for their weekend bromance, for sure. Ha.

Back