Pilots-N-Paws First Flight. (Gitmo234 Inspired)

Soldier64

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill H.
I recently got my ASEL PPL and decided to join Pilots-N-Paws. I had the intention of doing it, but I didn't think about posting until @Gitmo234 did. Thanks Chris.

I signed up on Wednesday last week and had my first mission on Saturday. His name is Ted and he is an English Pointer. It was a quick flight, only 147 miles, but he was a nervous passenger. He did ultimately lay down and sleep.

I got lucky and 12 miles from Ted's drop off was Aircraft Spruce and it happened to be their customer appreciation day. I made a day of it.

Glad I could help a little and definately look forward to doing it more in the future.

Attachments

• Ted3.jpg
    Ted3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Ted1.jpg
    Ted1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 115
  • F4U.jpg
    F4U.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P-51.jpg
    P-51.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 113
Awesome! It's not very often that inspiration for anything other than debates occurs here.

Nice Bill.
We're you in the light color arrow that came into FFC about 10:30 -11 am? I was in the white dakota leaving then.

Small world

How cool! Gitmo also inspired me to sign up last week. I have yet to do one, but how exciting it sounds!

-Andrew

I keep looking at the forums (haven't signed up yet), but haven't seen a mission I could satisfy easily. Did you have a crate for this guy? I imagine I'd want somebody with me to care for the animal as a just-in-case measure.

Ok you guys finally pushed me over the edge. I had wanted to do this a while ago, but since I was using club planes I wasn't sure how it'd work. Now that I have my own I have little excuse not to. Just signed up for the forums.

I keep looking at the forums (haven't signed up yet), but haven't seen a mission I could satisfy easily. Did you have a crate for this guy? I imagine I'd want somebody with me to care for the animal as a just-in-case measure.

Kosmo, there are pretty frequent missions out-of, into or through Houston. Just keep an eye out and you'll find one that suits your criteria. I fly out of Austin so we might actually end up flying different legs for the same transport one day. :)

I keep looking at the forums (haven't signed up yet), but haven't seen a mission I could satisfy easily.

Have you seen the "Transport Map" feature at http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/maps/maps_trips.php ? That might make it easier to find appropriate missions rather than scanning the text list on the Ride Board.

I do find some comedy in the text listings sometimes. Such a large percentage of dogs are "sweet" or "loving." Just once, I'd like to see a request to transport an ugly obnoxious dog.

I also wonder about the frequent use of the term "forever home." Forever is not an adjective; did that phrase originate in a children's story or some other work of literature? "Permanent home" would seem more appropriate. Ah, well, I digress...

Good on you Bill!!

Thanks, I loved doing it!

Awesome! It's not very often that inspiration for anything other than debates occurs here.

Haha, I signed up before your post, but I was happy to get the mission.

Nice Bill.
We're you in the light color arrow that came into FFC about 10:30 -11 am? I was in the white dakota leaving then.

Small world

Yes, that was me! Fresh off my PnP flight!

:thumbsup:

Some of the most rewarding flying you can do!

Thank you, I concur!

I did not have a crate. I wrapped the leash around the seat and used a large climbing clip fo fasten him to the seat belt.

Ok you guys finally pushed me over the edge. I had wanted to do this a while ago, but since I was using club planes I wasn't sure how it'd work. Now that I have my own I have little excuse not to. Just signed up for the forums.

Do it. You will take a bunch of pictures and love it!

Kosmo, there are pretty frequent missions out-of, into or through Houston. Just keep an eye out and you'll find one that suits your criteria. I fly out of Austin so we might actually end up flying different legs for the same transport one day. :)
Sounds good! I hadn't seen the map before (but I wasn't looking very hard, apparently lol), but that'll make it easier!

Don't forget that flying pups has other perks too ....

Such as autopilot:
Relax-Dude.jpg

Are there FARs about minimum hours for a pilot required to do these charitable flights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've wanted to do these for years but it's just so costly with 5 dollar fuel.

Obviously the flight costs can be deducted, can you write off any of your fixed costs or currency costs for the percentage of use its used for nonprofit flights?

I've wanted to do these for years but it's just so costly with 5 dollar fuel.

Obviously the flight costs can be deducted, can you write off any of your fixed costs or currency costs for the percentage of use its used for nonprofit flights?

I believe you can for Angel Flights, but as far as I could read not for PNP.

I didn't want to create another post, but I did another PNP flight this weekend. Bubba needed to go from Bainbridge, GA to Savannah, GA. He was completely scared to walk on a leash and was covered in gnats. Side note: gnats don't survive at 9,500 feet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1431282767.011876.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1431282818.399428.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1431282843.289274.jpg

If the sending PnP organization is a 501c3 there is no difference from Angel Flights because it is an IRS recognized charity. If not a 501c3 then likely not. Most of the folks I have flown PnP for are set up as 501c3 but not all are. You can see this info on the trip request sheet.

ie:

EMAIL -->P-----n.Rescue@Yahoo.com or TEXT -->678--- ----
Name and contact for Sending rescue/parties:
A---L---- (NKN, Inc.)
Pines, FL
Name and contact for Receiving rescue/parties:
Are you a 501c3: Yes; No Kill Nation Inc.
Date ready for transport: Need before
Additional info/situation: Need before

Last edited:
I'll check further with my accountant. She said I could write off space in my home used to store crates or my assumption is plan flights as well for my computer/office, so I don't see why if 20% of my annual flying is PnP I couldn't write off 20% of my fixed costs in exactly the same manner. Or for that matter if I only file IFR for PnP runs why not write off my IFR currency? I'll see what she says. I was hoping someone with more experience might know already.

Side question, this has been asked before but not answered. Are you deducting direct costs or, there is a personal airplane rate, are you taking the mileage rate? I think it's 1.29 a mile or so?

Side question, this has been asked before but not answered. Are you deducting direct costs or, there is a personal airplane rate, are you taking the mileage rate? I think it's 1.29 a mile or so?

Sorry, I've only done two flights. I've not gone through the write off experience yet. Both organizations I've worked with are 501c3 organizations. Hopefully we find out more.

There is a form somewhere on the PnP site that has places for all of the pertinent info for you to fill in. I usually have the sender and receiver sign it as proof that I was there Along with dates times etc. The tax ID number for the rescue, is the biggest thing. I thought there was some hubbub around about some of the rescues not being 501c3s and claiming they were. I flew two missions for a rescue that wasn't one at the time, they had just started. I didn't try to claim those flights, they have since been granted that status.

Last year was the first year I wrote it off. I think I could claim about $900 total for all the flights I took part in. To me it didn't really make a dent and ended up costing me more to file with my accountant.

And the wife found out how expensive flying is....

I thought that Pilots n Paws has their own 501c3 designation, and that missions posted there (by anyone) are tax deductible.

I thought that Pilots n Paws has their own 501c3 designation, and that missions posted there (by anyone) are tax deductible.

On their website I believe they say something about that. As long as it's posted and coordinated through the website its "official."

Thats good. I was gonna fly this dog but right mag died on the Maule. :(. BTW, i always use a crate for PNP. These rescues can leave behind a bad and smelly mess which is best contained in a hard crate. The crate keeps them from moving around inside if they take a notion to flip out.

I didn't want to create another post, but I did another PNP flight this weekend. Bubba needed to go from Bainbridge, GA to Savannah, GA. He was completely scared to walk on a leash and was covered in gnats. Side note: gnats don't survive at 9,500 feet.
View attachment 39358
View attachment 39359
View attachment 39360

Thats good. I was gonna fly this dog but right mag died on the Maule. :(. BTW, i always use a crate for PNP. These rescues can leave behind a bad and smelly mess which is best contained in a hard crate. The crate keeps them from moving around inside if they take a notion to flip out.

I haven't gotten a crate yet... I need to do that, but I'm not certain which size would fit in the Arrow. Back seat or luggage area?

You can get crates sent you for free. Crate companys donate them thru PNP and all you got to do is ask for it. Find info on the PNP site. From the site:

---------------------------

Where can I get crates?
Our MUCH APPRECIATED sponsor, Petmate, is supplying crates. If you are in need of crates, collars, leashes, harnesses, etc. for your rescue flights, please email crates@pilotsnpaws.org and we will ship them to you.

Last edited:
You can get crates sent you for free. Crate companys donate them thru PNP and all you got to do is ask for it. Find info on the PNP site. From the site:

---------------------------

Where can I get crates?
Our MUCH APPRECIATED sponsor, Petmate, is supplying crates. If you are in need of crates, collars, leashes, harnesses, etc. for your rescue flights, please email crates@pilotsnpaws.org and we will ship them to you.

Thanks. I saw that today.

You can get crates sent you for free. Crate companys donate them thru PNP and all you got to do is ask for it. Find info on the PNP site.

FWIW, they have a VERY limited selection and Pipers are not the best candidates for these crates. (I know, I have an old 140)

I have seen some great self-erecting fabric crates (kinda like waterproof tent) with spring-steel wires. Very light, very easy to store and very easy to put in the back of a small plane. However, they are NOT currently supplied by the crate sponsor of PnP. They are not too expensive and I believe you could write the expense off (consult with your CPA, though, I am not an accountant).

Also, if you email PnP for a crate, it might take a while to get a reply so try again or just post in the forums. The PnP folks are busy saving canine lives and can't always answer quickly.

GO PUPS! :)
pnp-round-logo.png

FWIW, they have a VERY limited selection and Pipers are not the best candidates for these crates. (I know, I have an old 140)

I have seen some great self-erecting fabric crates (kinda like waterproof tent) with spring-steel wires. Very light, very easy to store and very easy to put in the back of a small plane. However, they are NOT currently supplied by the crate sponsor of PnP. They are not too expensive and I believe you could write the expense off (consult with your CPA, though, I am not an accountant).

Also, if you email PnP for a crate, it might take a while to get a reply so try again or just post in the forums. The PnP folks are busy saving canine lives and can't always answer quickly.

GO PUPS! :)
pnp-round-logo.png

Lou,

What size pop up crate do you think would fit well in the back of the PA28R?

In my case I have only done PnP in a plane my business owns. As long as the plane is flown > 50% business, the business deducts all expenses associated with it. Essentially there are 3 categories that flights are allocated to: Business, Personal and Personal Entertainment. Business flights have no effect on my declared income. Personal flights have a small allocation to me as income for each Personal use passenger including me. Personal Entertainment flights (like to a professional FB game) hit me the hardest income wise.

PnP flights end up being Personal flights. The cost of the aircraft gets deducted but I have to declare some income however some of the cost is subsidized. In that way aspects of PnP are deductible.

If you personally own your plane you will have to talk to someone else regarding another way of accounting for charity expenses.

Last edited:
Lou,

What size pop up crate do you think would fit well in the back of the PA28R?

Bill, sorry, I do not have a handy answer for you. I only used the pop-up fabric crate once and it was a loaner :( and also, each airplane is different. Your best bet is to measure the space and get a crate that fits.
At one point, I was transporting a larger dog and the metal crate would not fit in the back seats of my tiny slow Cherokee 140 so I removed the seats (and of course recalculated the W&B) and the metal crate fit perfectly and provided a much better CG.

Wanted to chime in on crates..
Yes, PNP provides crates, however it hasn't been the most efficient thing lately. That said, crates have advertised sizes and real sizes (much like many of our 4-seat planes being 3-passenger planes :) ). They are often not exact rectangles and that little tab or tang will prevent getting it thru a door, etc.

When I was doing a ton of trips (had to slow with a move), I would get crates from craigslist for $15-30. The plastic type that has a top and bottom was great for disassembling and reassembling in the baggage compartment of a 182.

The rigid collapsable was the best in terms of flexibility and ease of use. You can put it fully together and it can have another crate stacked on top, or, you can only partially extend the top supports (so it looks like /~\ on the sides) and it'll allow a large crate to fit in the baggage area and the side slants with the backseat.
like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/K-H-Classy-Go-Soft-Crate/40807247
Here is a pic of one in the baggage area of the 182rg - note the 182 rear seats will lean forward and backwards - there is a little release on the outside of the seat cushion. I mention this because it isnt terribly obvious, I flew for 100hrs before realizing it...
attachment.php

I would avoid the auto-expanding soft side carriers, like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SportPet-Pop-Open-Kennel-Multiple-Sizes-Available-Dogs/5192526
I had a few and all of them got trashed in short order. A few puppy's claws and teeth will quickly (accidentally even) rip one to shreds.

On the claw note - it is completely acceptable to ask the sending rescue to make sure the dogs claws are trimmed and not sharp. I saw a rowdy puppy make a ton of damage on a leather seat just in the process of getting him past the seat into a crate. His claws were like razors.

If you have any other questions or comments feel free to post or PM me. I've flown PNP for a while and also handle the maps and forum (always a work in progress..).

Fun data point: check out how many of the trips are northbound (purple) vs southbound (green)
http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/maps/maps_trips.php

-Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 9.16.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 9.16.47 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
The crate vs other containment devices really depends on the size of the dog, too.

Out 1st PNP rescue in our Grumman Tiger was a 60 lb Lab. We just put a blanket over the back seat and he sat there perfectly well.

Our 2nd was two 12-week old Shepherd mix puppies, about 15 lbs each... and we had our own senior Westie with us, as we were on a a x-c trip already. We took out the backseats, laid plastic and then blankets over the floor and rigged a large cardboard box to fit the space. We cut off the top so we could watch them, and all 3 dogs traveled comfortably and securely.

We will probably get crates at some point, but we are limited in the rescues we can do, since we're in an inconvenient corner of the world.

Yeah - big dogs I generally had a few leashes at various lengths (just tie a knot or two to shorten) the i clipped to a floor eye-bolt with a carabiner and then to the dog's collar. Short enough pup couldn't get into the front seats, but long enough for them to lay down.

You can never have too many leashes or carabiners with you on a PNP trip :)

Back