Pilot's Certificate requirements in the 1930's

acluffpoa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Alan C
Does anyone know of a good information source for what pilot certificate requirements were in the 30's? I'm helping a friend gather information concerning a family member that obtained her pilots certificate as one of the early women aviators. He'd like to understand what it took for her to become a pilot in her time. This family member is no longer living so that information source isn't available.

Thanks in advance!

The requirements were significantly less than they are now.
I have a complete set of student\instructor books from 1947. The total pages of everything is less than 300, including CAA regulations.

Does anyone know of a good information source for what pilot certificate requirements were in the 30's? I'm helping a friend gather information concerning a family member that obtained her pilots certificate as one of the early women aviators. He'd like to understand what it took for her to become a pilot in her time. This family member is no longer living so that information source isn't available.

Thanks in advance!
Here's a copy of the 1929 version of the Air Commerce Regulations and the 1940 version of CAR Part 20, which dealt with pilot certificates. I don't know anything about the history in the intervening 10 years but they might give you a clue.

EDIT: Include the links

Last edited:
The requirements were significantly less than they are now.
I have a complete set of student\instructor books from 1947. The total pages of everything is less than 300, including CAA regulations.

I read Mark's links, and I don't see how you can characterize that as "significantly less." You needed 35 hours solo. You had to demonstrate power off 180s and 360s to a 300 foot touchdown standard. You needed 5 landings for night currency. You had to demonstrate a spin and recovery. The only things I don't see are short and soft field operations, probably because all fields were short and soft. And the long XC is 50 miles, but it was done in something like a cub. And radio profiency is only required for commercial pilots, because most airplanes didn't have them. All pilots had to be "of good moral character," and that could have meant some pretty unpleasant things in that time, such as racial or religious exclusions.

What I don't see is a type rating exception for light singles. Currency and expiration are mixed, and the airman and medical certificates are combined, so the airman certificate had to be renewed.

Last edited:
Back