Pilots are awesome

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Stopped by the airport this morning to see how the avionics shop was doing, and set some more mousetraps in my hangar, as it's the time of year the little buggers are trying to move indoors.

Saw that the the hangar behind me was open. That's the only tenant in the building I haven't yet met, so I decided to go say "hi". Said tenant was preflighting his 2015 SR22T. We chatted for a bit, and he says, "I was just getting ready to take it up, want to go?". I didn't really have time, but decided that was an offer I couldn't refuse. Rode along for some touch and goes. I was impressed, as he said he bought the plane new, and I noticed the Hobbs read a bit over 1500 hours. All his landings were squeakers.

It was fun. This probably belongs in the "not worthy of its own thread" thread, but what the heck. Any time I see an open hangar, I go introduce myself. I've yet to be disappointed.

That's pretty cool! Flying with other non-CFI pilots makes me anxious. So much judgement!!!

what if he had thumpers instead of squeakers? Too much stress.

That's pretty cool! Flying with other non-CFI pilots makes me anxious. So much judgement!!!

I'm kind of the same way Terry. I'm very hesitant to offer rides to people as I fear my skills aren't adequate. After 500 hours I'm finally starting to produce nice soft landings on a more consistent basis, but I still drop them in more than I'd like. I'd like to think that after 1500 hours in one plane I'd be as good as this guy was.

One of these days I'm going to get a ride in the vision jet that lives on the field. I've also been promised a T34 ride, but I've never been there at the right time to collect. I guess I just need to spend more time at the airport :D

Agree! Some of the nicest people I've met are pilots. Three stories come to mind:

1. When I lived on the east coast and was a freshly minted pilot, one of the older guys on the field came up with me in my first airplane many times to mentor and help me get used to flying PIC. Always helped me fix things on the plane (was experimental) since I have two left hands when it comes to using screwdrivers. He also always offered me to take me up in his plane but I kindly declined. It was an aerobatic plane and I know the kind of things he does with it. Let's just say, I don't have the strongest stomach.

2. Recently when I went to Montana to validate my Canadian license and get my FAA license, I met with one of the local DPEs for the process. After we finished all the paperwork, he was like "well, you're a pilot. Want me to show you around?" Next thing, he gives me and my wife a full tour of the airport, stopped by countless hangars, introduced me to all the people (saw some really cool planes that day) and just had a great time. If it hadn't been that windy, we might have gone flying. On the way back to the hotel, he proceeded to give us a mini tour of Helena, driving by some of the restaurants he recommends and showing some points of interest in town.

3. I emailed a guy who had a plane for sale that I was considering to buy. Timing wasn't great and I ended up not buying it but we kept in touch. When I planned a trip to the area where he lives almost a year later, I told him that I would be in town and asked if he knew about rental cars or if the airport has crew cars. His response: "Don't be silly, you can have one of my cars while you're here." We stayed for five days and he just gave us his car to discover the area and we had dinner a couple times. One day, we drove to a town about an hour away to see family and a big thunderstorm came through at the airport where we parked our plane. Before the thunderstorm hit, he went out to the airport, organized a hangar for us and put our plane in the hangar. I didn't even know - I just found out the day we left as I didn't see our plane on the ramp where I left it lol.

There are MANY more stories but those are the three that popped into my head immediately when I read your post.

I got self service fuel for the first time in the plane today. 29-years (but only 450 hrs) later and I did it!

Connected the ground wire to the exhaust. Dragged the ladder over and the fuel hose to the furthest tank. Put my card in, read all the instructions. Card reader said "follow instructions on pump house to activate!"

Well, I thought I had. It said do all that stuff I did and then turn on the light, if necessary, and the pump.

There was a big green switch - that winds the fuel hose back up. There was a cutoff valve like on your water line . . . That bypassed the filter. Sort of down below the other buttons was an unmarked (turns out - just worn from use) switch. I flipped that.

Each time walking over, climbing the ladder and figuring out I hadn't turned on the pump.
After about 15 minutes when I was about to give up, Matt the flight instructor came out and said "can you use a hand?"

His flight school doesn't own or operate the pumps. He still showed me how to get it started and got me all set up. Told me not to squeeze like a gun or fuel would go all over the Skyhawk and ground as it comes out fast. Asked me about my instrument training and goals etc.

That was pretty cool. Then he walked across the ramp and started talking to his next student. He didn't have to help me and there was nothing in it for him.
Some nice people!!!

(I will say, though, pretty consistently - if you drive/walk in to a flight school, people aren't very welcoming or friendly unless you're from there. In my experience at multiple airports)

Reactions: Feh
ALL groups of people are convinced they’re the best… but…

In practice, the general aviation crowd is leading the pack in my experience, and I’ve got lots of interests so have hung out with lots of crowds.

The caveat seems to creep in a little when it comes to actually being a pilot. If you own a rusted welded tube fuselage, you’re in. If you don’t actually own or operate, not quite as much it seems. Been on both sides of that fence.

#chrisgoesflying , who was the guy in Helena? Bet I met him and agree!!

Good to hear he put 1500 hrs on it! Sounds like a great pilot and ambassador to our people.

I got to fly in a cherry RV8A by invitation recently. Amazing plane. Owner/builder was retired Delta mechanic. He let me fly it the whole flight then said I was one of two pilots to ever land it. Him being the first. I’m tempted to request first right of refusal on it if he ever sells.

@Tools interesting observation. Generally - renters (including club members) aren't as invested and spend much less time at the airport.

They also spend less time with owners, generally. Need to be there to become part of the crew. You have to invest the time.

I got self service fuel for the first time in the plane today. 29-years (but only 450 hrs) later and I did it!

Connected the ground wire to the exhaust. Dragged the ladder over and the fuel hose to the furthest tank. Put my card in, read all the instructions. Card reader said "follow instructions on pump house to activate!"

Well, I thought I had. It said do all that stuff I did and then turn on the light, if necessary, and the pump.

There was a big green switch - that winds the fuel hose back up. There was a cutoff valve like on your water line . . . That bypassed the filter. Sort of down below the other buttons was an unmarked (turns out - just worn from use) switch. I flipped that.

Each time walking over, climbing the ladder and figuring out I hadn't turned on the pump.
After about 15 minutes when I was about to give up, Matt the flight instructor came out and said "can you use a hand?"

His flight school doesn't own or operate the pumps. He still showed me how to get it started and got me all set up. Told me not to squeeze like a gun or fuel would go all over the Skyhawk and ground as it comes out fast. Asked me about my instrument training and goals etc.

That was pretty cool. Then he walked across the ramp and started talking to his next student. He didn't have to help me and there was nothing in it for him.
Some nice people!!!

(I will say, though, pretty consistently - if you drive/walk in to a flight school, people aren't very welcoming or friendly unless you're from there. In my experience at multiple airports)
There's some pretty non user friendly self service pumps around. So it's not just you

One word… cargaspumps

@Tools ive been pumping car gas since full service went away. Lots of different pumps over the years.
I just couldn't quite figure this one out as a first timer. But now I've got this pump nailed (they billed me twice).

On to the next self serve pump to look foolish again!!!!

Two similar stories on a trip last week. I flew to visit some family in western Arkansas, and when I got on the ground neither me nor my family could figure out how to get in/out of the gates of this country airport. Neither the instructions posted nearby nor the phone number in Foreflight worked. Along came a fellow pilot driving in to work on his C-150, and he freely told us the trick to get through the drive-through gate and made for good conversation while tying the plane down.

And similar to Terry, I've pumped plenty of car and airplane gas, but I couldn't get the fuel pump to work my first 2 tries at this place either. It seems like a good quarter of airports have some weird setup for the fuel pumps, and you have to do a bit of trial and error with either the card machine, the pump switch, hose reel, or grounding wire. I think it's some kind of litmus test to see if you're a 'real' pilot. Some places would make for a good candid camera footage. :)

who was the guy in Helena? Bet I met him and agree!!

I won't post his full name here as I don't know if he wants to have his name published openly on the internet. It was Abe who I've met with. If you know him, you probably know who I'm talking about.

I bought a PA-32 and needed 10 hours with a CFI for insurance. I asked around the airport and found a PA-32 owner who is also a CFI/CFII. His aircraft is 1 year older than mine. He took me up in mine and taught me a bunch of things only an owner would know, and got me my 10 hours and then some at no cost. We still fly together pretty regularly, and I call him frequently for advice.

I also met another fella who owns one that’s 1 year newer than mine and he is a mechanic on the field. What a wealth of knowledge in these two guys, and two of the nicest people I have met in my lifetime. Pilots are awesome!

@Tools ive been pumping car gas since full service went away. Lots of different pumps over the years.
I just couldn't quite figure this one out as a first timer. But now I've got this pump nailed (they billed me twice).

On to the next self serve pump to look foolish again!!!!
The pump at 10c on more than one occasion has given me a fit. Turned the pump on, but it's like I waited too long and it didn't want to dispense. I'm probably just an idiot though.

The pump at KBUU, that thing is like a damn firehose compared to others I've used.

I refuse to get fuel at C81 unless absolutely necessary. Some convoluted thing where you need to enter your own code that I never remember and end up digging through texts to find it. And if you're not a regular you have to text someone to get a code. Maybe they've changed it, and it's just been that long since I've got fuel at home.

Enter n number- why?
Gallons or dollars?
How many?

I just want to fuel my plane up! Why we gotta add unnecessary steps?

Enter n number- why?
I've been told it's so they can contact everyone who's bought fuel if they discover a bad batch

Gallons or dollars?
How many?
So they can pre- authorize the card. Interestingly, the one at LNL didn't ask that question, and the pump shut off at $150. "No big deal" I thought, I'll just re-run the card. Except that the stupid credit card company flagged it as possible fraud and locked the card. Mind you, I use this card exclusively for avgas, and I had forgotten my wallet with my other cards at home. So there I was with 50 gallons in one wing and 20 in the other. Thankfully my wife had her card and we were able to get another 25 on it.

TAZ has the fastest one I've ever seen, it's as loud as a MU-2, and the nozzle sticks (probably because the pressure is so high). I spilled at least a gallon, maybe two. Then I went to the other side and spilled some more. We pushed the plane quite a ways away before starting her up...

The pump at 10c on more than one occasion has given me a fit. Turned the pump on, but it's like I waited too long and it didn't want to dispense. I'm probably just an idiot though.

The pump at KBUU, that thing is like a damn firehose compared to others I've used.

I refuse to get fuel at C81 unless absolutely necessary. Some convoluted thing where you need to enter your own code that I never remember and end up digging through texts to find it. And if you're not a regular you have to text someone to get a code. Maybe they've changed it, and it's just been that long since I've got fuel at home.

Enter n number- why?
Gallons or dollars?
How many?

I just want to fuel my plane up! Why we gotta add unnecessary steps?
LOL Congrats, I have to hand off the grumpy old man trophy to you.

LOL Congrats, I have to hand off the grumpy old man trophy to you.
At 33, that's gotta be a record right? I was mostly kidding in my rant.

I went full on get off my lawn when I was 23 after a displaced person decided to drive down my unplowed driveway at 11:30 at night. I was living at my dad's who's my neighbor while remodeling my house. All my neighbors have 5 acre lots. The guy was looking for "bill", but got stuck in my driveway. Oh the shock on his face when I show up with a shotgun and Crocs explaining there ain't no Bill here...or any of the lots nearby.

I'm real fun at parties.

I've been told it's so they can contact everyone who's bought fuel if they discover a bad batch

So they can pre- authorize the card. Interestingly, the one at LNL didn't ask that question, and the pump shut off at $150. "No big deal" I thought, I'll just re-run the card. Except that the stupid credit card company flagged it as possible fraud and locked the card. Mind you, I use this card exclusively for avgas, and I had forgotten my wallet with my other cards at home. So there I was with 50 gallons in one wing and 20 in the other. Thankfully my wife had her card and we were able to get another 25 on it.

TAZ has the fastest one I've ever seen, it's as loud as a MU-2, and the nozzle sticks (probably because the pressure is so high). I spilled at least a gallon, maybe two. Then I went to the other side and spilled some more. We pushed the plane quite a ways away before starting her up...
Fair enough. But if it was a bad batch you have the credit card info no?

and the nozzle sticks (probably because the pressure is so high). I spilled at least a gallon, maybe two. Then I went to the other side and spilled some more.

It is specifically designed to do that...it's called profit.$$$ :lol:

@asicer YES!!! I fueled a plane once in 1992 before I was allowed to solo.

I've watched the plane get fueled at PWK and 3CK . . . From the truck! That's how I knew to go to the furthest wing, to clamp the ground to the exhaust etc. But the meter and pump switch are right together on the back of the truck where the hose comes out.
Here - at least at first glance - the credit card reader which authorized how many gallons I could pump (doesn't exist with the truck) was in one spot. I had to go open the door for the hose in a metal box. The switch wasn't immediately adjacent or marked.
I threw a lot of switches and climbed back up the ladder multiple times before finding the right switch (which is pretty obvious now). By then my credit card authorization timed out (and charged me even though the gallons weren't pumped the 1st time).

It's different doing vs watching. But now I've got that experience!! Where I learned to fly (1C2 Howell New Lenox - now a subdivision) you taxied to the pumps which worked like a gas station. You had to go into the office to get the key to unlock them. But flip up the handle and pump!!! I think we had 80 Leaded then (pink/red stuff).

I'll add that to my experiences.

Never understood this. I’ve flown with several CFI’s that had hard landings and just as many or more non-CFI’s that had great landings.

I'm kind of the same way Terry. I'm very hesitant to offer rides to people as I fear my skills aren't adequate. After 500 hours I'm finally starting to produce nice soft landings on a more consistent basis, but I still drop them in more than I'd like. I guess I just need to spend more time at the airport :D

I'm guessing you are being modest. I'm just over 300 and can land a plane without scaring people into jumping out before it has come to a stop. If so suggest an extra 5 kts over the threshold. Let the energy bleed out from there. When I fly with my wife it is stressful. She grades my landings. Only got a perfect "10" once, and that was after a go-around because the plane just was not wanting to land peacefully. The second attempt was one of those where ... in my wife's words ... "didn't feel it touch".

In our Tiger over the threshold it is 75-ish kts. In our 182 it's 75-80 mph down to ground effect. My double-I likes my landings. Maybe he prays later. :D

The credit card system puts a pre-authorization on your card when you hit accept. It does not actually charge the card, but the effect, short term is similar.

If your card company locks your card, look on the back and CALL THEM. They will unlock it.

Yes, many self serves would benefit from directions with pictures and CLEAR signs.

During my Mooney transition, we stopped at one field, could not get the card reader to read, NO PHONE number for help. NO FBO on the field. Oh well.

I was taught how to properly refuel during my private training. And with so much self serve, I would be SURE my student knew how to refuel. Heck, it may be required on their solo XC.

During my Mooney transition, we stopped at one field, could not get the card reader to read, NO PHONE number for help. NO FBO on the field. Oh well.

I had a similar experience, but the pump kept saying, "All pumps are active, try again later". I couldn't get it to accept my card, but sure enough the pump was active. I pumped 50 gallons and tried to swipe my card again. Nothing. Nobody at the field so I tried to make a few calls but the cell service was terrible. Never did get billed for it on my credit card. I finally got in touch with somebody at the field after the long holiday weekend. They sent me an invoice and only charged me $4.25/gal. It saved me about $150 dollars over the current price of fuel.

if you ever in Reno, come by our flight school on the West side. We’re a friendly bunch.

Back