Pilot watches

Skip Miller said:
So the next time we meet, ask me what time it is!!!

-Skip

As I was walking down the street one day

A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah

And I said:

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

-Chicago Transit Authority....

--------
Really nice watch, Skip!

You have a wonderful wife. Enjoy it!

Toby said:
Carol, that is a great watch.

Gee, I never gave watches this much thought before. I've been wearing my Fossil forever. Now I think I want to be one of those jet-setting women Anthony mentioned. Hmmmmm.

Ha!. You don't need a watch to be a jet setter Toby. But, if you're so inclined you can get some nice vintage Breitlings to dress the part.

My current favorite watch brand is Sinn. They are a better value (meaning less expensive than other mechanical watches) It used to be German NATO pilot standard issue, but now Tutima has taken that role. Both are great watch brands, but Sinn is not readily available here.

Skip Miller said:
I think this thread was discussed on the other board a while ago... but I am tasked to suggest a pilot watch to a relative, who will go buy it for me. Surprise! Not really, and a really nice gift too. My desire is to get a watch with a quartz movement, not a mechanical movement. Google comes up with a brand name:TORGOEN that I have never heard of. Is this any good?

Any other suggestions? I don't need E6B functions, I don't need altimeters, just a great watch, easy to read in the cockpit, looks good in the bar, and a stopwatch function. If the other gizmo features are there, then that's ok, too but they are not necessary.

Any suggestions?

-Skip

Yes, a suggestion: Any watch that looks good to you, that has two time zones. One time zone for where you are and the other for Zulu or other place to which you are relating. A Plus: a day/date function with BIG enough numerals to read without putting on your reading glasses.

Jim

Skip, a VERY nice choice, and I'm sure it will serve you well. I caught the watch pic below on the wrist of one of our local T6 display team pilot's last year at the KONZ air show..... (sort of surprised him when I asked to photograph his watch :D ).

Anthony, you are quite correct about Sinn too. A great bargain (though prices are rising, mostly due to the dropping dollar to the Euro). My "wish list" includes a Hanhart, a Tutima and a couple of Sinns......

T Bone said:
My "wish list" includes a Hanhart, a Tutima and a couple of Sinns......

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Sinn makes a non-auto version of my 103ST/STA that is thinner, and I'm starting to prefer wind ups like the Omega Speedmaster. Thinner, less stuff to go wrong, and I don't forget to wind in the morning. However, I find myself moving away from the Chronographs and going to a more simple watch with a moving bezel. I don't use the stop watch functions too often. I like the custom O&W watches you pointed me to a lot.

Last edited:
My favorite FLYING watch:

Timex Expedition!

LARGE NUMBERS
Bright blue-green backlight (Indiglo) at the push of a button on the front
Dual time zones (Local and GMT) at the push of a button
Stopwatch
Alarm
Seems pretty accurate. I seldom have to reset it.
About $28 a few years ago on sale. Probably slightly higher now.

I've found that most of the Casio watches I owned and those I've looked at recently at have small numbers - too small for these slightly older eyes to see reliably without my glasses, and impossible at night (in bed without the glasses).
They also are miserable with their backlight - one really dim bulb on one side of the display. I could NEVER read the time at night without getting about 2 inches from the watch, even with glasses.

Back