Pilot training in the USA as a foreigner

Vladislav

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Vladislav
Hello, I am from Belarus and this year I am finishing high school, I want to study as a pilot in the USA, maybe someone has already gone through this path and will help to understand some of the details in training as a pilot in the USA.
1. How much does training cost in general for 8-9 months on CPL, they generally say that the average price is 40 thousand $, but does this amount include flights themselves, gasoline, or is it separately? What are the overall costs.
2. Is there an opportunity after graduation with an M1 visa to stay for further work in the United States or will you have to leave and look for work in your country?
3. Do I need to take TOEFL or other entrance exams in mathematics, physics, etc.?
my mail: vlad.voitov123 @ gmail . com
Thanks!

the most important point that you didnt ask, but i will answer anyway, whatever school you choose, you are stuck to that since there is a TSA authorization that needs to happen for foreign students. if you want to change flight school, the whole process (a month or so at a minimum, not sure how long it takes now, this was 2016) starts again.

Hi Vladislav,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for you, you might rather want to check out one of the airline pilot forums, where you'll probably find more people who have actually gone through commercial pilot programs.
If you Google, you will find that a lot of flight schools offer complete training packages. Typically, these packages include the aircraft, fuel, the flight instructor but nothing else. Expect that you will require additional training hours, purchase books, pay certain fees, that you will have to stay somewhere, etc...

I am originally from Germany and did not have to pass any kind of English test. Back then the logic was that if one can handle the material and is competent on the radio, the person is considered 'English proficient'.

The other thing is, that you will have to make sure that the country, in which you want to fly commercially, as well as the local airlines, will actually recognize your FAA ratings. The European Union, for example, would not let you operate an aircraft, which is stationed in the EU, with a FAA pilot's license, even if the aircraft is registered in the US. Instead, you'd have to have your FAA license and rating converted to an EASA license, what requires additional training, exams, checkrides and what is also not possible for all ratings.

I am aware that Belarus is not a part of the EU, chances are however that your country will also not accept FAA ratings without some kind of conversion.

Again, you might get better, more detailed feedback in an airline pilot's forum.

Oliver

Hi Vladislav,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for you, you might rather want to check out one of the airline pilot forums, where you'll probably find more people who have actually gone through commercial pilot programs.
If you Google, you will find that a lot of flight schools offer complete training packages. Typically, these packages include the aircraft, fuel, the flight instructor but nothing else. Expect that you will require additional training hours, purchase books, pay certain fees, that you will have to stay somewhere, etc...

I am originally from Germany and did not have to pass any kind of English test. Back then the logic was that if one can handle the material and is competent on the radio, the person is considered 'English proficient'.

The other thing is, that you will have to make sure that the country, in which you want to fly commercially, as well as the local airlines, will actually recognize your FAA ratings. The European Union, for example, would not let you operate an aircraft, which is stationed in the EU, with a FAA pilot's license, even if the aircraft is registered in the US. Instead, you'd have to have your FAA license and rating converted to an EASA license, what requires additional training, exams, checkrides and what is also not possible for all ratings.

I am aware that Belarus is not a part of the EU, chances are however that your country will also not accept FAA ratings without some kind of conversion.

Again, you might get better, more detailed feedback in an airline pilot's forum.

Oliver
Yes, I'll look for more information, thanks for your answer

Assume 60 hours as a realistic baseline.
  • 172 rental averages $150 hour wet (including fuel & oil). Run-out 172's are closer to $120/hr and nice newer models with G1000 closer to $175/hr.
  • CFI's range from $55 to $100 per hour.
Consider which part of the country to perform training.
  • California has over 300 VFR days a year, some parts like the SF Bay Area closer 320+.
    • Cost of living is high, but lots of diverse flying conditions within an hour radius like mountains, dry & hot near sea level for density alt performance experience, frequent morning fog near the coast for IMC actual training, and more. Absolutely beautiful places to fly and see.
    • In the SF Bay Area checkout http://www.caliairways.com/CalAir/ and http://www.tradewindsaviation.com/
  • Other locations like Phoenix offer a much lower cost of living and still have lots of VFR days, just avoid July through September with many 100-120 degree F days.
  • Other will have more recommendations for flight schools to consider.
There are many foreign student pilots in the USA, and your experience will not be unique. The flight schools are accustomed to training students from abroad.

Last edited:
Assume 60 hours as a realistic baseline.
  • 172 rental averages $150 hour wet (including fuel & oil). Run-out 172's are closer to $120/hr and nice newer models with G1000 closer to $175/hr.
  • CFI's range from $55 to $100 per hour.
Consider which part of the country to perform training.
  • California has over 300 VFR days a year, some parts like the SF Bay Area closer 320+.
    • Cost of living is high, but lots of diverse flying conditions within an hour radius like mountains, dry & hot near sea level for density alt performance experience, frequent morning fog near the coast for IMC actual training, and more. Absolutely beautiful places to fly and see.
    • In the SF Bay Area checkout http://www.caliairways.com/CalAir/ and http://www.tradewindsaviation.com/
  • Other locations like Phoenix offer a much lower cost of living and still have lots of VFR days, just avoid July through September with many 100-120 degree F days.
  • Other will have more recommendations for flight schools to consider.
There are many foreign student pilots in the USA, and your experience will not be unique. The flight schools are accustomed to training students from abroad.

And this response is for Private Pilot rating only.

If you're finishing High School, you could look into something like North Dakota or Eastern Kentucky where you get a BS degree as well as earn your wings. But regardless, you'll still have to do fly as an instructor or something to get your required 1500 hours. No school will graduate you with enough hours to become an ATP. You'll still need 1 or 2 years of flying to get those hours.

Vlad, your written English is very good. Before you start your flight training in the US please have your spoken English as good as your written.

First and foremost, it will help you succeed easier, and second your radio calls will be understandable to native English speakers. Aviation radios are not friendly to heavy accents.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

Back