Pilot Training + GI Bill

Imamerican

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imamerican
Hey everyone!
I'm kind of a noob to this forum so bare with me haha.

I currently get out of the Marine Corps August 20th (Seperate June 22nd cause terminal is awesome) and I've been up in the air with what I want to do with my life.. I LOVE to fly, and have ever since I was a little kid.

First of all, I applied to the FAA ATC announcment so that's plan A

Plan B is this:
I'd like to use my GI Bill to attend a 4 year public colleges that gives degrees in Professional Pilot. B.S Professional Pilot, this means they will certify you from PPL to CFI along with issuance of a B.S degree. (Either at Farmingdale, Kent State, or any other school any of you may recommend.) Some congressman currently is in the House trying to pass a law which will require me to pay about 10k out of pocket for this degree, though.

I just wanted to get some insight about this. I've talked to many people who love to fly and love what they do, but then some people who say they don't get paid as much and it's just a severe hassle making only 30k at regional or 19 an hour as a CFI at a school. But then I have friends getting paid 40 an hour for CFI, and I dont have friends who work regional or went straight from CFI to the big boys.

Has anyone done this degree program? Is it worth following a dream?

Thanks for all the help in the mean time, I really appreciate everyone's insight!

I thought the GI Bill would only pay for flight training AFTER the private?

I thought the GI Bill would only pay for flight training AFTER the private?

If it's at a degree completion school, they role the private in with the training. Just a regular Part 141 school you have to have a PPL first. Degree completion there's virtually no annual cap, Part 141 flight training has about an 11K cap.

Last edited:
If it's part of a college degree program, the post-9/11 GI Bill pays for the Private as well.

Semper Fi and enjoy terminal leave when it starts! I'm doing just that right now, you can get through CFI in 2 years if you fly enough per week. I'm half through my CFI and multi right now. I'm doing it for fun/hobby/ a little free lance. A college degree will cut down hours required for ATP, but you will still need them to go to regionals and on. Pay depends on location, around here cfi's keep about $25/hr (Ohio). It's all up to what you want to do. I plan on using work tuition reimbursement to finish up a non aviation degree when my post 9/11 benefits run out. (As another option for you) good luck!

What's your MOS? I was 2881

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone!
I'm kind of a noob to this forum so bare with me haha.

I currently get out of the Marine Corps August 20th (Seperate June 22nd cause terminal is awesome) and I've been up in the air with what I want to do with my life.. I LOVE to fly, and have ever since I was a little kid.

First of all, I applied to the FAA ATC announcment so that's plan A

Plan B is this:
I'd like to use my GI Bill to attend a 4 year public colleges that gives degrees in Professional Pilot. B.S Professional Pilot, this means they will certify you from PPL to CFI along with issuance of a B.S degree. (Either at Farmingdale, Kent State, or any other school any of you may recommend.) Some congressman currently is in the House trying to pass a law which will require me to pay about 10k out of pocket for this degree, though.

I just wanted to get some insight about this. I've talked to many people who love to fly and love what they do, but then some people who say they don't get paid as much and it's just a severe hassle making only 30k at regional or 19 an hour as a CFI at a school. But then I have friends getting paid 40 an hour for CFI, and I dont have friends who work regional or went straight from CFI to the big boys.

Has anyone done this degree program? Is it worth following a dream?

Thanks for all the help in the mean time, I really appreciate everyone's insight!

If Uncle Sam is paying for the degree, then it may be worth it. However, do a bit of research before committing to flying as a career. I, as well as others on this board, have done well with it. But there are others that are still working at poverty wages. It takes awhile to get a good job that will pay well. A lot also has to do with being in the right place at the right time.

What I would suggest is go ahead and get at least the private via the college program, and continue farther if you want. However, DO NOT get your degree in Aviation Science or similar. It will restrict you in your future career options. Instead, find another field you might be interested in. Management and Business are majors that fit a wide range of job descriptions. Getting more on the technical side, Engineering might be good one to go after. Getting a minor in aviation would suffice (but not necessary) for a flying career.

Good luck!!

McFly, HR 467? I believe is in cogress right now that would cap it to 20k a year, but still should cover most fees.

If Uncle Sam is paying for the degree, then it may be worth it. However, do a bit of research before committing to flying as a career. I, as well as others on this board, have done well with it. But there are others that are still working at poverty wages. It takes awhile to get a good job that will pay well. A lot also has to do with being in the right place at the right time.

What I would suggest is go ahead and get at least the private via the college program, and continue farther if you want. However, DO NOT get your degree in Aviation Science or similar. It will restrict you in your future career options. Instead, find another field you might be interested in. Management and Business are majors that fit a wide range of job descriptions. Getting more on the technical side, Engineering might be good one to go after. Getting a minor in aviation would suffice (but not necessary) for a flying career.

Good luck!!

That's the thing, if I get a B.S in Management and a minor in Flight the GI Bill ONLY covers tuiton of the B.S in Management (my major)

Now using my GI Bill to get a B.S in professional pilot will cover it all. I also wont be a CFI for 4 years so the job opportunities may be better down the road

McFly, HR 467? I believe is in cogress right now that would cap it to 20k a year, but still should cover most fees.

Yeah, I don't see it getting passed. They just need to crack down on the few programs that are grossly over charging the VA.

I've talked to many people who love to fly and love what they do, but then some people who say they don't get paid as much and it's just a severe hassle making only 30k at regional or 19 an hour as a CFI at a school. But then I have friends getting paid 40 an hour for CFI, and I dont have friends who work regional or went straight from CFI to the big boys.
!

Some people are just sorry, average low CFI pay is 25hr, don't bother worrying about regionals, worry about job #1 before you worry about job #3 or 4, in the few years it'll take you to hit ATP mins things may change, as they do in aviation.

Out the gate as a wet CPL I was making 30k ish a year with free housing and utilities, low stress, fun job. Every job since has been a increase in pay, airframe and QOL.

Don't be afraid to move, if you are afraid of moving after school to anywhere in the US (or even overseas), you might want to reconsider aviation.

Keep in mind there are other green pastures outside of airlines.

Good luck!!

Mostly spot on, MINUS "Uncle Sam" isn't paying for your education, "Uncle Sam" is a broke child, AMERICAN TAX PAYERS are paying for your education, and not voluntarily. So if you do have to kick in some money into YOUR education, don't complain, many of us paid for our flight training ENTIRELY OURSELVES.

As for the degree, I'd look into medical, if you could somehow work it so you ended up with a CPL/CFI and a Nursing RN, that would be ideal, and those two professions work VERY well together.

And be sure to thank citizens when you can for their support, they have been forced to make sacrifices for your choice to "serve"

Semper Fi and enjoy terminal leave when it starts! I'm doing just that right now, you can get through CFI in 2 years if you fly enough per week. I'm half through my CFI and multi right now. I'm doing it for fun/hobby/ a little free lance. A college degree will cut down hours required for ATP, but you will still need them to go to regionals and on. Pay depends on location, around here cfi's keep about $25/hr (Ohio). It's all up to what you want to do. I plan on using work tuition reimbursement to finish up a non aviation degree when my post 9/11 benefits run out. (As another option for you) good luck!

What's your MOS? I was 2881

I'm a 7242, and yeah I plan on using my GI bill for the flight program

Yeah, I don't see it getting passed. They just need to crack down on the few programs that are grossly over charging the VA.

The VA is auditing every program right now actually

Anyone have any colleges they recommend for a degree program in flight?
Currently taking with Farmingdale and Kent State, would rather stay on the eastern coast for college

That's the thing, if I get a B.S in Management and a minor in Flight the GI Bill ONLY covers tuiton of the B.S in Management (my major)

Now using my GI Bill to get a B.S in professional pilot will cover it all. I also wont be a CFI for 4 years so the job opportunities may be better down the road

Hmmm... Let's see if this idea would work. See if you can find a community college that is partnered with a flight school. Get your AA/AS in aviation science, then transfer to a university and finish up with a major in Management.

Or see if dual majors is possible.

Mostly spot on, MINUS "Uncle Sam" isn't paying for your education, "Uncle Sam" is a broke child, AMERICAN TAX PAYERS are paying for your education, and not voluntarily. So if you do have to kick in some money into YOUR education, don't complain, many of us paid for our flight training ENTIRELY OURSELVES.

And be sure to thank citizens when you can for their support, they have been forced to make sacrifices for your choice to "serve"

Are you seriously busting this Marines balls for flying on the GI Bill?

I've always heard about UND (University of North Dakota)..Though I know nothing about them. I used my GIBILL and received my BS and Masters. Then I switched over to the Post 9/11 and enrolled in a 141 to get my IR. But I did have my private already. And you have to be dual enrolled IR/Comm. I didn't do the Comm part but did get my IR and if I recall VA reimbursed $11,500, this was in 2013.

Are you seriously busting this Marines balls for flying on the GI Bill?

Effin seriously? Bro, find a fire hydrant and run your head into it. Maybe it will knock some sense into you and your apology to a motivated jar head will come forthwith.:mad2::nono::mad3::loco::raspberry:

The 'trick' is to accumulate all the classes and credits you want before you apply for your degree. I've changed my major a few times now. So when I apply for grad it will be for an associate in aviation and bs in management

I have 48 transfer credits from college I've done while I'm in so I do have some transfer credits.

And I don't mind the guy being a douche, people have their opinions and he did provide some helpful tips that I could utilize.

UND is too far north, people go to North Dakota? Haha

Definitely not the first time he's done it. :rolleyes:

It's really a disgrace. Our nation already owes vets more than is already given. And then someone makes this thing political without having a clue on what the vet has laid on the line. And yeah, I'm ex-mil too. Used my GI Bill to get a math degree though.

I'm not the man to gloat about being a Marine, I served and my nation paid me back with free college. I served voluntarily though, people are intitled to their opinion that's why the military fights for it haha.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Farmingdale is being a hassle with my, but Kent State in Ohio seems to be on board with my plan.

Anyone have recommendations as a CFI or Regional? Where to work, best places to work, best companies to try and work for?
I know it's all in the heart and you have to fight for where you want to go and sometimes you may get shot down, but I'd rather not get a CFI and only 20k a year haha.

I know Middle Tennessee has a program. I have no knowledge or affiliation, but the Nashville area is fairly cheap to live in and pretty nice.

Good luck in your future Marine,

Dan
82nd ABN 91-94

PLEASE don't blow the taxpayers money on a expensive "aviation degree" which is useless. and for god sakes to go to riddle or anything, it's just blowing money to blow money.

I've heard good stuff about Big Bend
http://www.bigbend.edu/academics/programs/aviation/

Get it done as fast and as cheap as possible.

Effin seriously? Bro, find a fire hydrant and run your head into it. Maybe it will knock some sense into you and your apology to a motivated jar head will come forthwith.:mad2::nono::mad3::loco::raspberry:

Yup, Bro, seriously.

Funny I gave the guy some good advice, but because I don't have this hero worship for anyone who joins the millitary you get bent out of shape.

Is it that much to ask that people thank private sector America for the opportunity and funding taken from them and given to the millitary?

Some service guy once kicked sand in his face and walked off with his girlfriend.....hence the bad attitude towards anyone who served. :rolleyes:

Lived in a few millitary towns, generally I've seen that work the other way around.

Hah! Glad to help.

I only knew about that because one of the podcasts I listen to is the Stuck Mic Avcast (www.stuckmicavcast.com). One of the cohosts, Eric Crump, is the director of the aviation program there and mentions the school periodically.

The only this is that if you want to earn a bachenlors in flight you HAVE to have an AS or AA degree already, and they don't give you a CFI.

Yup, Bro, seriously.

Funny I gave the guy some good advice, but because I don't have this hero worship for anyone who joins the millitary you get bent out of shape.

Is it that much to ask that people thank private sector America for the opportunity and funding taken from them and given to the millitary?

Look dude, no one is asking you to bend over and give up the poop chute to show your gratitude. The GI bill is a benifit of service.

Thank you in advance James for my IR, my F150, the whiskey in my glass and the steak on my plate.

I'll be sure to write you every night when I rotate back into theater next month and express how gratefull that I am that you pay taxes.

Go ahead and post your mailing address, I'm sure everyone here who served would like to send you a note of gratitude along with some pictures.

Look dude, no one is asking you to bend over and give up the poop chute to show your gratitude. The GI bill is a benifit of service.

Thank you in advance James for my IR, my F150, the whiskey in my glass and the steak on my plate.

I'll be sure to write you every night when I rotate back into theater next month and express how gratefull that I am that you pay taxes.

Go ahead and post your mailing address, I'm sure everyone here who served would like to send you a note of gratitude along with some pictures.

For god sakes, you can't loose the attitude and show some gratitude??

Look at it like this, there is no other opertunity that will take someone who is maybe qualified to be a walmart greeter or dig a ditch, pay them as much as you make in the millitary, take care of medical for life, pay for education, housing, food, etc.

A "thanks for your support" would be asking that much?

I offered to be your new pen pal and show you gratitude nightly! What more do you want from us Walmart gretting ditch diggers?

Hey man sorry I sidetracked your thread, what ever you decide good luck.

For god sakes, you can't loose the attitude and show some gratitude??

A "thanks for your support" would be asking that much?

Because of this I decided to do an extra touch and go in the pattern today and burn an extra 450 gallons of Jet-A. :D

So you think anyone owe you something? I spent years in the Army and retired as a LT with plenty of experience doing "stuff" in other countries. Nobody owes me anything. It's a job, I did apply for it and made the choice. I was NOT drafted!!

Back