Pilot that has not flown IFR in almost two years. What steps to take?

PilotGuyRi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotGuyRi
Hello POA community,
As the title says, I have not flown instruments for two years after getting my ticket due to school. What recommendations would you have towards getting myself up to speed on ground knowledge and procedures before hitting the IFR air again?
Thanks!

Are you due a BFR? Take an instructor up - two birds, one rock*.

* not to be confused with flying with an instructor, two birds and a rock. That would just be silly.

Are you due a BFR? Take an instructor up - two birds, one rock*.

* not to be confused with flying with an instructor, two birds and a rock. That would just be silly.

My BFR will be due in July, I completed my studies at university this past week and plan to work towards my CFI/II, so I was thinking that it might be wise to start studying the instrument knowledge test prep for the IGI.. in regards to actual flying, probably get up with a CFII and have a merry time.

I took 25 years off of instrument flying shortly after getting my instrument ticket, so I can relate. I spent time with the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook and then took a handful of flights with a CFII and got my IPC signoff so I was legal to file. While legal, I wouldn't say I'm completely proficient as living in Salt Lake City doesn't give many opportunities for actual IFR. To gain proficiency I have been using my basic home flight simulator working through the "I-ratings" on PilotEdge. I highly recommend PilotEdge!

I agree with the others but will expand a little.

Like with any rusty pilot situation, a good instructor will assess where you are and tailor a program. You have three components to deal with. One is aircraft control. Especially if you have been flying VFR in the meantime (but even if not), that's the easiest part. The second is procedures. That's the biggest part because, even at the initial stages of primary instrument training, 80% of the work is about instrument procedures, with only 10-20% about aircraft control. The third component, which affects both of the others, is avionics. Are you getting into an airplane with the same type of panel and avionics as when you last flew IFR, or is there a whole new ballgame with, say, a glass panel.

There are things you can do yourself. Maybe take an instrument rating practice test to see gross knowledge gaps? Take a couple of instrument-focused online courses, whether halfway decent YouTube videos or more formalized courses for Wings credit.

But really, if I were feeling really rusty after a substantial layoff, an initial discussion with a CFII would be my first step.

As a CFII, I recommend getting with an instructor. This has actually been common lately, I've worked with many pilots who haven't flown in the last 2-15 years and are getting back into it. It may take more than one lesson to assess your abilities and get the rust worked out, but a good instructor should be able to do it no problem.

I agree with Mark on discussing this with your instructor. What you will need will vary based on your skills and experience.

It probably goes without saying that you'll need to complete a Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) before you'll be able to fly IFR. Unlike a flight review, an IPC is an evaluation event rather than a training event, so you'll want to get some practice before doing the check.

If you have access to a certified flight training device, an ATD is a good way to knock out a lot of procedural work in a short amount of time. Your CFII can run you through various scenarios and assess your strengths and weaknesses to prepare you for the IPC (an instrument flying in general). It will definitively get you more mentally prepared when its time to get in the airplane.

I too, recommend PilotEdge for getting proficient, but not current obvi.

For sure engage a CFII and arrange for a consult to work toward completing an IPC. Depending on your skill atrophy, you may need to review some basic airwork before completing an IPC. To stay proficient, exercise your privileges. Too many instrument rated pilots never use, or are not confident enough to use their ratings.

Read through the IFH and IPH and the AIM. Find a good instructor. If you want a comprehensive run through that will get you where you really need to be, I'd recommend talking to Professional Instrument Courses (PIC). It likely will cost you around 2 AMU and three days, but it will put you back where you need to be.

Third, fourth, fifth, whatever....

get with an instructor and get proficient again. Doing that, you will also get current.

You probably need a BFR and a IPC. Do them both at same time. Go fly

I just went through this - hadn’t flown IFR in about 10 years. To get ready, I bought and went through the King “Return to IFR Flying” course. I’m an aviation nerd and have kept up on things in the interim, so I was surprised that I really hadn’t forgotten that much, but it was a good way to get the juices flowing.

Then I went up under the hood with a safety pilot and shot 3 approaches and did holds and what not, then did some practice stuff by myself (not under the hood), and then went for the IPC.

I’ve really been surprised how easily it all came back. There was about 10 seconds under the hook when I felt a little uncomfortable the first time I put it on, but other than that, no big deal. I’ve been filing IFR in VMC pretty everywhere I go just for reps, and have gone up to shoot approaches in actual IMC, once in some really nasty stormy weather, without any problem. It’s been really fun.

Oh... and I just can’t believe how much easier it all is with an IFR navigator (650) compared to dual VORs and round dials! What a cakewalk!

Back