Pilot Seat Belt Requirements

Flybynite

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flybynite
Can anyone tell me the pilot seat belt requirements. The FAR AIM book says one thing and the American Flyers handboot says at all times. Thanks

Go with the FAR AIM.
FAR is the legal reference, but it sounds like "American Flyers" has a more strict policy ("the American Flyers handboot says at all times"). I'm not familiar with American Flyers, but if you're flying their equipment I suggest you follow their rules...unless following their rules would actually violate the FARs.

Ron Wanttaja

Here is the FAA rule:
Sec. 91.105

Flight crewmembers at stations.

(a) During takeoff and landing, and while en route, each required flight crewmember shall--
(1) Be at the crewmember station unless the absence is necessary to perform duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft or in connection with physiological needs; and
(2) Keep the safety belt fastened while at the crewmember station.
(b) Each required flight crewmember of a U.S.-registered civil aircraft shall, during takeoff and landing, keep his or her shoulder harness fastened while at his or her assigned duty station. This paragraph does not apply if--
(1) The seat at the crewmember's station is not equipped with a shoulder harness; or
(2) The crewmember would be unable to perform required duties with the shoulder harness fastened.
In addition, 91.107 says:
(2) No pilot may cause to be moved on the surface, take off, or land a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board has been notified to fasten his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness.
Basically, that means the pilot's seat belt must be fastened any time the aircraft is moving, except if s/he has to go to the lav, or is otherwise required to leave the cockpit. Since light singles don't have lavs, and there's no place to go, that means the belt must be fastened from chocks-out to chocks-in.

American Flyers may have a stricter rule (say, engine start to engine stop). That's between you and them, not the FAA, but if you want to fly their airplanes, you'd better do what they say even if the FAA is less restrictive.

I sometimes have to unfasten my belt in order to operate the rear air vent in the Navion.

Which is that covered by -- "duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft" or "physiological needs"? :D

True. But it is contrary to what you said previously:

Since light singles don't have lavs, and there's no place to go, that means the belt must be fastened from chocks-out to chocks-in.

:D

Just chain yankin'.

Which is that covered by -- "duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft" or "physiological needs"? :D

If you're peeing out of the rear air vent, corrosion may be a concern. Fit a proper "pilot relief tube".

If you're peeing out of the rear air vent, corrosion may be a concern. Fit a proper "pilot relief tube".

Reminds me of how to tell both the driver and his passenger are from a small farm near Durant, Oklahoma.

There's tobacco staining down BOTH sides of the pick up truck.

I remove my belts to eat dinner at cruise or just because it's being a pain. This is fine under movement on the surface, take off, or landing.

I remove my belts to eat dinner at cruise or just because it's being a pain. This is fine under movement on the surface, take off, or landing.
I can't speak to whether or not it is "fine," but it is not legal per 91.105.

I don't fasten my seat belt when taxiing between the hangar and the fuel pump.

I wonder how you can get cited for the seatbelt rule in a light GA airplane other than to post a condemning youtube. Or admit to it on a message board under your real identity.

I don't fasten my seat belt when taxiing between the hangar and the fuel pump.

I had a friend get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt while backing his boat down a launch ramp. Watch out.

I had a friend get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt while backing his boat down a launch ramp. Watch out.

Depends on the wording of the state law. Here it says must be worn when using a "highway" which is defined as a road - unless they have expanded the areas, which I do not believe they have. A boat ramp is not a highway here.

I wonder how you can get cited for the seatbelt rule in a light GA airplane other than to post a condemning youtube. Or admit to it on a message board under your real identity.

Douchebag passenger turns you into the feds. Bad landing ejects you from the aircraft.

Depends on the wording of the state law. Here it says must be worn when using a "highway" which is defined as a road - unless they have expanded the areas, which I do not believe they have. A boat ramp is not a highway here.

Bored small town cops don't care.

And pilots have been busted on it. Remember, the FAA isn't a criminal court. They don't need reasonable doubt. Just plausibility.

Fortunately FAA decisions can now be appealed in courts. Thx to pilot's bill of rights. Obviously you would never want to be in that situation, but its better than it used to be.

Fortunately FAA decisions can now be appealed in courts. Thx to pilot's bill of rights. Obviously you would never want to be in that situation, but its better than it used to be.
They have always been appealable in court -- no change there. And no change to the standard of proof, either -- still "more likely than not," not "beyond reasonable doubt."

Back