Pilot rituals and good luck charms

When I was flying out of Bloomsburg, my dad and I would go take a wizz in the river before we took off.

When I was flying out of Bloomsburg, my dad and I would go take a wizz in the river before we took off.

Classic, and distinct difference between male, and female pilots. :D

Never heard of it.

[On flying around the world in July 1938.] Just before we took off from Floyd Bennett field ten days ago a women ran out to the plane and stuck a piece of chewing gum on the tail. According to a long standing superstition this is supposed to bring good luck. Now this piece of chewing gum went around the world with us and returned to Floyd Bennett field. Whether it’s owner retrieved it or not I do not know. Furthermore I do not know how much it had to do with our getting back safely. But I do know that luck played a part in this flight, considerably more of a part than I had hoped it would play. But let me say this on that connection that the time when luck played the greatest part was owing to an error in judgement on my part. It certainly played no part in the navigation of the plane which was beyond reproach.

Howard Hughes

When completing a flight, I pat the aircraft on the prop hub and say "that'll do, pig".

Nice!
I've just been giving mine a pat, maybe a hug, and my thanks.

Heh, in all seriousness...I do talk to it (when I'm flying alone, no need to scare a passenger).

You should of heard what I called her when the latch on the flap handle gave out while on final.

I recently discovered a grasshopper in the cabin while flying at 8500 feet.
I started to smash it, then stopped mid swat. I'm not superstitious but I was not going to risk it. I cupped it into my hand and put it into my sunglass case.
Set it free upon landing.

I started to smash it, then stopped mid swat. I'm not superstitious but I was not going to risk it. I cupped it into my hand and put it into my sunglass case.

I'm surprised it didn't hop away from you and drive you nuts the whole flight. Then again, I don't know much about grasshoppers or their behavior.

That reminds me of a story I read some time ago about a man flying a Baron in Australia. Shortly after takeoff, he felt something on his leg. He looked down, and saw a snake slithering out from behind the instrument panel.

A link to the article

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...on-a-plane-pilot-makes-emergency-landing?lite

If you seriously hug your plane - that is super adorable.

Seriously.
Did it just this past Saturday after a post-flight beer, some conversation, and cleaning the bugs off ... was still warm, too. :)

Had returned from a full day of flying with my favorite passenger - my 83yo mom. She just LOVES to fly, and has picked up a lot of piloty knowledge and thinking ability over the years.

We flew 1.5 north to a pancake breakfast (her first) and spent a couple of hours prowling the cars, tractors and planes that had turned out. Then, a short hop further north for fuel. Out across the bay and around the tip of the peninsula where we flew low along (and legally away from) the shoreline. Then, towards home with a stop for lunch (a short walk from the airport). And back home, where she wanted to check out what was happening in the open hangar next door and wound up spending another hour looking around, talking, asking questions.

So, yeah. I hugged my plane for carrying us safely and making it possible.

[On flying around the world in July 1938.] Just before we took off from Floyd Bennett field ten days ago a women ran out to the plane and stuck a piece of chewing gum on the tail. According to a long standing superstition this is supposed to bring good luck. Now this piece of chewing gum went around the world with us and returned to Floyd Bennett field. Whether it’s owner retrieved it or not I do not know. Furthermore I do not know how much it had to do with our getting back safely. But I do know that luck played a part in this flight, considerably more of a part than I had hoped it would play. But let me say this on that connection that the time when luck played the greatest part was owing to an error in judgement on my part. It certainly played no part in the navigation of the plane which was beyond reproach.

Howard Hughes

Ahh. Hughes. The guy who stored his own urine in jars. Yeah, I could see him being superstitious and leaving someone's nasty gum on his airplane. :)

I carry two smashed pennies in my wallet behind my pilot certificate. One is a pressed Smithsonian token given by my ex gf whos still a good friend. The other is a actual train smashed penny from my first month in college. Both have been with me since my first flight, so I make sure I don't lose them.

Back