Pilot rituals and good luck charms

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
This is Duckie's first flight with me.

I was at a Real Estate / IREM conference this month and a lot of vendors were giving away free trinkets. My boss insisted we all get free items. I thought the rubber duck with a hard hat, safety vest, and red lipstick lips was the cutest. A company who specializes in pot holes and paving told me they used to float the rubber ducks in the water that would collect inside the pot holes for advertising purposes.

Based on the "babe" website, awesome babe stories I've heard, and my recent meetings and flights with Babes, and with a very special Babe's blessing, I decided to load this duck into my flight bag - permanently - and place it on the dash from now on as "good luck."

What rituals do you have when you fly? What is your "routine" or "good luck charm" etc?

7422692742_a2faaa47c6_c.jpg

Based on the "babe" website, awesome babe stories I've heard, and my recent meetings and flights with Babes, and with a very special Babe's blessing, I decided to load this duck into my flight bag - permanently - and place it on the dash from now on as "good luck."
Cool. You would have loved Moxie.

I usually take a bottle of water along, but I have never bothered to name it. I guess I could try that next time. Would it be a girl name or a boy name?

Shipping is no longer cheap (or cheep)...
Some of my business acquaintances who thought that internet sales were going to be their path to financial freedom are being eaten by the rapidly rising cost of shipping the products... That, and finding that maintaining a web presence is expensive have them remembering the good old days in a brick store front with nostalgia...

Oh, and Kim - I don't have a ritual or a mascot... I just go fly...
Sorry, guess I'm an old stick in the mud...

I try to ensure I leave with a sufficient quantity of two magical potions.

Oil and avgas.

I tend to fly in my "favorite" Vans, both for good luck and because they're narrow enough to work with the Diamond rudder pedals.

This is Duckie's first flight with me.

I was at a Real Estate / IREM conference this month and a lot of vendors were giving away free trinkets. My boss insisted we all get free items. I thought the rubber duck with a hard hat, safety vest, and red lipstick lips was the cutest. A company who specializes in pot holes and paving told me they used to float the rubber ducks in the water that would collect inside the pot holes for advertising purposes.

My duckie is wearing a baseball cap.

Attachments

• IMG_0828 reduced.jpg
    IMG_0828 reduced.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It started as a joke by my CFI over my ringtone (Safety Dance song) and we did the Safety Dance during preflight. Every flight after we did it (he was a joker) and when we did it I tended to be more relaxed and flew better. Also made this big, tall, serious looking guy seem like a friend teaching you how to do something than a scary authority figure. I also wear my lucky pair of Vans. They've been on fire, soaked, run over, and protected me the entire time.

Me, I don't have any mascots, charms or rituals, but I do talk to planes.

If you ever want ducklings, you can go get your MES rating :D:

Ka---Wack :)

Attachments

• 170 Trips 040.jpg
    170 Trips 040.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Cascade Mt pictures 021.jpg
    Cascade Mt pictures 021.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 170 Trips 039.jpg
    170 Trips 039.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 28
I have a Fifinella patch hanging on the hook behind my seat.

I am afraid to mention that since 1979 I have only worn light blue boxer briefs or light blue boxers on every single hour I have been PIC in an assortment of aircraft . . . .

this is explainable given that I was baseball player before I was a pilot and there are nothing but superstitions in baseball . . .

I always give the door frame a good pat as I am getting in, even when flying commercial.

I take a leak and then check the tanks, every time.

My new "good luck charm".

Joy-Behar.jpg

I've just added this to my desk collection:

Attachments

• 100_4462.jpg
    100_4462.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 13
I always put a pocket knife in my back pocket that my sons gave me (30 years ago) as a Fathers Day gift. Won't fly without it. Superstitious indeed :)

Hmmm... they are covers for some type of probe when ya park :dunno:
An FBO we were at used them on the outboard static wicks when we were parked in their hangar, mostly to keep people from walking into them.

Should'a put the happy faced side out! ;)

Yeah... Butt.....:confused:

If the static wicks were up their ****oles, the ducks would quacky loose that wonderful smile..:yesnod::eek:..

We could rename them "Sandusky" covers then..:sad::nono:

I always put a pocket knife in my back pocket that my sons gave me (30 years ago) as a Fathers Day gift. Won't fly without it. Superstitious indeed :)

Great name! I share your initials (and first name). I haven't been able to keep a pocket knife that long. I have probably lost at least a dozen to TSA (I guess hat's my fault... Slow learner). They are very small, though, micro leatherman with a very dangerous 1 1/4" blade.

Doesn't anyone put their chewing gum on the tail anymore??

Back