Pilot POLL

What is the highest license/rating you hold? (If ATP and CFI, choose ATP)

• Total voters
:yeahthat:, I find the clouds are easier....:goofy:
I agree. I'm just saying, if you never flown in the clouds, it feels different, and it make take someone new to it by surprise.

I actually had my multi-engine commercial add-on training done up in Groton, CT and the checkride in KFRG, NY. Before the three day training, I did two hours of simulated a month before to stay IFR current, and before that, I wasn't in actual since March. So on the day of my checkride, we had to fly from Groton to Republic airport. The ceiling was 100 ft overcast and visibility was 1400 rvr with fog and mist. It was a lot of fun.
On take off, I could only see about 1/4th of the runway ahead of me at a time. I'm from Texas, so this kind of think was really interesting and fun to me.

I agree. I'm just saying, if you never flown in the clouds, it feels different, and it make take someone new to it by surprise.

I actually had my multi-engine commercial add-on training done up in Groton, CT and the checkride in KFRG, NY. Before the three day training, I did two hours of simulated a month before to stay IFR current, and before that, I wasn't in actual since March. So on the day of my checkride, we had to fly from Groton to Republic airport. The ceiling was 100 ft overcast and visibility was 1400 rvr with fog and mist. It was a lot of fun.
On take off, I could only see about 1/4th of the runway ahead of me at a time. I'm from Texas, so this kind of think was really interesting and fun to me.

Oh, that was just a statement on my preference it wasn't a challenge of anything that any said....

I was lucky enough to have a CFII who was willing to fly in actual. I think I had a little over 7hrs actual by time I took the checkride... Make life with the new ticket so much more comfortable...

Try staying current in New Mexico. I think we get 380 days of VFR here every year.....*

We will get a 10,000 foot ceiling and I will file just to get a little actual.

* Actually not really 380 days. When the weather is bad, its bad. 200 ft ceiling and 1/4 mile type stuff, usually winter with snow and ice. Only a few ILS approaches nearby.

Recreational Pilot -- I've never met anybody who said they had that certificate.

The daytime requirement is no big deal, but the 50 mile limit seems like it would take away every reason to fly.

I'll have MEI in the next 6-12 months. Possibly pick up commercial at some point in the future as a challenge.

What? You need a commercial to be any kind of instructor, except sport.

It should. That's as far as most pilots go.

According to to FAA, as of 2016:

128, 501 student pilots (many of which are inactive)
175 recreational
5,889 sport
162,313 private
96,081 commercial
157, 894 airline transport

Recreational Pilot -- I've never met anybody who said they had that certificate.

The daytime requirement is no big deal, but the 50 mile limit seems like it would take away every reason to fly.

In 1997 I did 3 BFRs for guys with a recreational certificate. They were older, upper 70s and just wanted to fly their home built planes to a specific runway to spend weekends fishing. And probably drinking.

One of the guys enjoyed building planes to sell, and just wanted to be able to be legal to make test flights from his private runway.

Relax. You're fine. Enjoy the punchlines. Good luck in your Stats class. Hope you do well. Slappin forehead. It just dawned on me you're the Teacher. Any of your students getting the flying bug?
Prereq classes for Stats 201:

Lies 100
Damned Lies 102

One of the guys enjoyed building planes to sell, and just wanted to be able to be legal to make test flights from his private runway.
Sounds like a great way to enjoy retirement.

Back