Pilot parachutes and leaves 6 PAX to perish? Cessna 206 KC, MO

Mutiger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mutiger
But they all survive and walk away? What the hell is this story?!

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-new...turday-afternoon-near-butler-missouri-airport

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A small plane with seven people on board crashed near Butler Memorial Airport Saturday afternoon, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

First responders received a report of the crash around 1 p.m. Saturday. Officials located a single-engine Cessna C206 in a hay field to the east of the airport's runways.

The pilot parachuted from the plane before the crash and was located at the airport hangar, per the Bates County Sheriff's Office.

Those on board the plane were treated on scene and were released.

The sheriff's office says the plane is a total loss.

Not sure of the story, but when i caught up to that pilot a parachute wouldn't save him

Whoa, wait a minute, I recognize this plane - it’s been crashed before. This was that souped-up 206 that at one point had a PT6 and Woody Woodpecker was emblazoned on the side. Rolled into trees several years ago when the pilot bumped the parking brake after pulling both the chocks and the GPU.

Was being used for skydiving. What’d… they all jump out? There are some serious missing details.

I’m pretty sure there’s a skydiving operation at BUM. Probably everyone jumped.

A plane full of skydivers. Above 1,500 ft in an emergency everyone is supposed to bail. So the skydivers and pilot are fine which is what is supposed to happen. The plane, well it would be expected to be a total loss after that.

From what I heard, one of the skydivers snagged his reserve chute handle and it deployed, got caught up in the tail, damaged it, and sent the plane into a tailspin. All of the skydivers then exited, and then the pilot. The pilot always wears a parachute for scenarios just like this.

Last edited:
If you read the story, “The pilot and all six passengers were able to parachute from the plane before it crashed.”

“Those on board the plane were treated on scene and were released.”

It doesn’t say they were in the wreckage.

Clickbait title
Based on a very incomplete and misleading report. Taken at face value, the report really made it seem like the pilot abandoned ship and left the passengers onboard (who then miraculously survived with minor injuries).

If you read the story, “The pilot and all six passengers were able to parachute from the plane before it crashed.”
The kctv article says that, but the original kshb article linked did not.

Who are the loons in charge at KSHB????
Back, way back, maybe be 45 years ago, KSHB had a late movie either Fri or Sat. It might have been midnight. They had just changed their call letters. The late night movie host, a thoroughly creepy guy, said the way to remember the new call letters was by using, “Kiss? Sure Honey Baby!”

Not a lot has changed there.

Last edited:
Good that all survived without major injuries,the reporting leaves a little to be desired

But they all survive and walk away? What the hell is this story?!

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-new...turday-afternoon-near-butler-missouri-airport

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A small plane with seven people on board crashed near Butler Memorial Airport Saturday afternoon, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

First responders received a report of the crash around 1 p.m. Saturday. Officials located a single-engine Cessna C206 in a hay field to the east of the airport's runways.

The pilot parachuted from the plane before the crash and was located at the airport hangar, per the Bates County Sheriff's Office.

Those on board the plane were treated on scene and were released.

The sheriff's office says the plane is a total loss.
Terrible reporting. They have updated it to say it was a skydiving operation and everybody got out. I was one of the skydivers in the plane.

“Those on board the plane were treated on scene and were released.”

It doesn’t say they were in the wreckage.
They changed it.

The story finally popped up with my local news (accident occurred the other side of the state) and they thankfully avoided the click bait story line.

Clearly, they all jumped. But I do like the mental picture of the pilot opening his door, looking back, and saying, "Adios, suckas!"
Like the airplane crash scene in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"

Not meaning to go off on a tangent here, but I saw a video of sky divers going through overcast clouds. Is that allowable.??

And by overcast I mean solid, no breaks.

Not meaning to go off on a tangent here, but I saw a video of sky divers going through overcast clouds. Is that allowable.??

The missed approach procedure seems a bit dicey......

I saw that in person over Lake Wales, Florida a few years ago. We were flying over a solid overcast, ine that was a couple thousand feet thick, zero holes or even thin spots. Jump pilot made the announcements, and half a dozen jumpers went from high above. They were in freefall when they entered the clouds. In the middle of Florida. Where there is heavy VFR and IFR traffic, much of it students.

No. FAR 105.17.
Thanks, I remember studying this in ground school, but that was over 30 years ago.

According to Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 105.17:

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft —

(a) Into or through a cloud, or

So the same flight vis and cloud clearances as a VFR pilot.

Latest TV news on the BUM situation: TV talking head says a skydiver’s parachute fouled the tail of the airplane and the pilot bailed after all the jumpers left.

Latest TV news on the BUM situation: TV talking head says a skydiver’s parachute fouled the tail of the airplane and the pilot bailed after all the jumpers left.
Yes that is what happened. It was the reserve, which occurred in the door at jump altitude. Not sure if it was a snag of reserve handle or pin was lodged free, but whatever happened it caused reserve to deploy into tail, the worst case scenario for plane and jumper. The reserve cannot be released like main, so it was a miracle the reserve eventually cleared on its own but not until the tail had been bent and twisted beyond the pilots ability to land. Pilot got remaining two jumpers out (4 had already exited during the incident), and pilot was able to get down to 3k agl and deploy round reserve and walk away. Pilot was able to bring plane down into hay field with no people or structures. Pilot was the hero in this instance. Btw, those who think “The News” is supposed to bring you every aspect of a story are naive. They have a a job to do, and we as pilots and skydivers can fill in the details. Not everyone knows what a reserve pin is lol

Terrible reporting. They have updated it to say it was a skydiving operation and everybody got out. I was one of the skydivers in the plane.
Any indication what caused the reserve deployment in the door? Was the handle snagged? Pin dislodged? Skydiver here and would like to hear any details that could help other skydivers in great checks

The missed approach procedure seems a bit dicey......
Conditions were clear during the jump in question, but no, in United States jumpers cannot jump through clouds and are required to maintain minimum clearances.

Back