Pilot Needs a Bathroom??

The reality is there is no way to poop and fly at the same time. Period.

Please - for the love of God, no one take this as incentive for a reality TV episode or mythbusters show!

Typo. My mistake. Just seems this thread is turning into a ****ing contest.... no pun intended....

I was just trying to add something to the conversation. They are both true stories though.

I beg to differ sir, I have a friend that pulled it off using a helmet bag on a pond crossing. A little more room in the Eagle than most GA airplanes, but he did have to get out of an anti-exposure suit first (plus boots, g-suit & harness) so I'd call it even.

When your friend climbs into the back of a 152 and sits on a camp toilet to numbertwo, all while flying the plane (is there a 152 with autopilot?) at the same time, then I'll admit I'm wrong :)

When your friend climbs into the back of a 152 and sits on a camp toilet to numbertwo, all while flying the plane (is there a 152 with autopilot?) at the same time, then I'll admit I'm wrong :)

When someone climbs into the back of a 152 to take a crap, we'll read about it in the NTSB accident reports.

I didn't say it could be done in a 152, def be reading about that one in NTSB. I was just refering to the comment:
The reality is there is no way to poop and fly at the same time. Period.

I like giving this guy a hard time about taking a crap in the plane, but it's also a funny story. Just sharing... :dunno:

I have a friend that pulled it off using a helmet bag on a pond crossing. A little more room in the Eagle than most GA airplanes, but he did have to get out of an anti-exposure suit first (plus boots, g-suit & harness) so I'd call it even.
Dang, he really had to go! Was it explosive? hahaha

Hello all. As a non-pilot I have lurked on this forum for a while learning a great deal. I was wondering when this topic would come up as it is a concern of mine as well.

TCR1016: from what I have read, you either have a psychological or physical issue. If psychological I would suggest professional help. We all have fears, rational and otherwise. When they become debilitating you need to seek help and find out what is going on in your head to cause the fear. Maybe it is some sort of separation anxiety and the toilet is a reassuring comfort device.

If physical you may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). I suffer from this and I understand the need to have a toilet close by.

Have you spoken to a doctor about the possibility of your having IBS? If that is the case, it is a manageable issue. You will need to learn what your triggers are and take the appropriate course of action. Your doctor will be able to prescribe a drug that stabilizes your intestinal muscle contractions. But I have been able to keep my IBS under control with diet, exercise and awareness.

As others have mentioned, climbing in to the back seat is simply not an option.

I would also suggest the Depends. There is no shame in this. Until you get this issue under control, it is better to be safe than risk killing yourself or someone else.

That can be fixed as well.

Thanks Light and Sporty.

I hope to fix my non-pilot status....the sooner the better. I work near an airport, Deer Valley - KDVT. Warriors and Seminoles orbit overhead as students do their pattern work. It is daily inspiration.

Thanks Light and Sporty.

I hope to fix my non-pilot status....the sooner the better. I work near an airport, Deer Valley - KDVT. Warriors and Seminoles orbit overhead as students do their pattern work. It is daily inspiration.

Woah! Dude! That's some interesting air space around there...

It is? How so? To the uninitiated (me) the airspace does not seem all that unusual.
It's fairly congested. A combination of high student traffic at DVT (many with marginal English skills), nearby Luke AFB to the southwest with it's associated training areas, terrain to the north and east, Scottsdale airport southeast, a transition route for VFR traffic overflying Phoenix cutting between DVT and Scottsdale, not to mention lying beneath the class B shelf.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.71578487381452,-112.08122655322543&chart=121&zoom=3

Not really scary or anything, but certainly more complex than a lot of airports, where there's nothing to be worried about for miles around.

It is? How so? To the uninitiated (me) the airspace does not seem all that unusual.

Class B with a LOT of class D jammed underneath, Special traffic areas (I had to look at the legend to see what that was), Alert areas, and even Fish and Wildlife areas. And that's just on the terminal area chart...

Compare it to someplace simple like Detroit.
http://skyvector.com/?ll=42.2835513277992,-83.5631795888357&chart=110&zoom=5

On the bright side, you will become very proficent with radios and stuff like that (unlike some of us hicks...).

Ah yes. I do see a lot of interesting things: "Heavies" going to Sky Harbor, GA traffic, balloons and then there are the military guys out of Luke.

TR: another thing, what is your caffeine intake? I find when I cut back on caffeine, way back, and substitute with water my body, especially my colon are a lot less twitchy. And when I feel the need to go it is with a greatly reduced sense of urgency.

Just another suggestion.

TR: another thing, what is your caffeine intake? I find when I cut back on caffeine, way back, and substitute with water my body, especially my colon are a lot less twitchy. And when I feel the need to go it is with a greatly reduced sense of urgency.

Courtesy of The Oatmeal:

header.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

I think astronauts and bomber pilots go on "low residue" diets prior to starting really long missions. (Capt. Ron may want to chime in.)

I once had lunch with a B-52 check pilot, and asked him about the facilities on the BUFF. He said that yes, they had a head. However, it informally was for #1 only. Use it for #2, and you'll catch #2 for using it for #2.

A pair of my squadronmates returned early from their sortie (F-111) and shot a few low approaches before asking to full stop. Our squadron commander was SOF (supervisor of flying and in the tower) that day and fully realized that they another 30 minutes of ASD (average sortie duration) before they were supposed to land. ASD is god during peacetime as the wing's goal is to zero out it's flying time for the year. After checking their fuel status, the SOF demanded to know why they wanted to land early. There proceeded a dead silence of several seconds until the pilot blurted out-"I need to take a dump really bad." "Check wheels down, cleared to land." I won't say what that pilot's nickname was changed to.

Mine is similar,

Was flying to vegas with my wife at the time, at 10500 in a 160 hp 172. Realized that nature was calling, and reached into my flight bag to "answer" with a portable urinal. Had her take the controls and keep it S&L, and got up on my knees and let fly. Thought the tank was empty, shook and sat back down. Little did i know, i hadn't emptied fully, and peed all over my leg. This was almost 8 years ago, and she hasn't let me live it down.

Are you male or femaie? One day on an extended leg in Australia with nowhere to land my wife asked me to hand her a zip loc bag we had in the plane (we subsequently augmented that with some maxi pads for absorbency) and said not to laugh. I told her wasn't going to laugh because after she was done she was going to pour out the water bottle I had so I could use it.

Back