Pilot Names

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I'm noticing a pattern here. I have met several pilots (in person) with the same first names. Here's a listing in order of the most that I can recall:
(+ means those that reply)

Dan-14 +1
Dave-9 +1
Steve-7
John-10 +1
Al-6
Stan-5
Matt-9
James-5
Ron-6
+Greg- +4

Is this just a coincidence thanks to them being common names? Dan has certainly been the most common. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Dan's reply.

Any other typical pilot names?

*On a side note that's partially related, I know two girls with an awesome name history. One is named Seneca, the other is named Seminole. Their mom's maiden name was Piper Cub, her dad was a pilot with the last name Cub and he must have been a joker. Their dad's name is naturally Pacer.

Perfect couple if you ask me, both of their parents liked Piper! They're both pilots and they own a Saratoga of course.

Last edited:
How many Kimberly pilots do you know? And are you the only Greg pilot that you know?

It is hard to believe that Dan beats John. Mike I would believe, but not Dan.

I'm noticing a pattern here. I have met several pilots (in person) with the same first names. Heres a listing in order of the most that I can recall:

Dan-14
Dave-9
Steve-7
John-10
Al-6
Stan-5
Matt-9
James-5
Ron-6

Is this just a coincidence thanks to them being common names? Dan has certainly been the most common. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Dan's reply.

*On a side note that's partially related, I know two girls with an awesome name history. One is named Seneca, the other is named Seminole. Their mom's maiden name was Piper Cub, her dad was a pilot with the last name Cub and he must have been a joker. Their dad's name is naturally Pacer.

Perfect couple if you ask me, both of their parents liked Piper! They're both pilots and they own a Saratoga of course.

They all just seem like common names. That aside, you know a lot of pilots.

How many Kimberly pilots do you know?
I know another Kimberly pilot, the daughter of a friend who is also a pilot. Come to think of it, when she was in about 8th or 9th grade her mom asked if she could "shadow" me on my job. We took her on a mapping flight to Grand Junction.

I know another Kimberly pilot, the daughter of a friend who is also a pilot. Come to think of it, when she was in about 8th or 9th grade her mom asked if she could "shadow" me on my job. We took her on a mapping flight to Grand Junction.

I don't know any other Mari pilots.

Dan-14
Dave-9 +1
Steve-7
John-10
Al-6
Stan-5
Matt-9
James-5
Ron-6

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Dave.

At work I get a kick out of pilots with cool last names.

Capt. Kirk
Capt. Morgan
Capt. D.B.Cooper
Capt. Ron (That's a first name but funny as well).

Capt. Kirk
Capt. Morgan
Capt. D.B.Cooper

I would enjoy a Captain Kirk. I would probably be thrown out the door for never shutting up about that!

You're way to young to know/'preciate that joke...

Actually I do know that one! I used to have a couple of their albums before but they melted in a house fire. I still have Born in East LA,Far Out Man, and Up in Smoke though.

How many Kimberly pilots do you know? And are you the only Greg pilot that you know?

If I count know of, I know two Kimberly's and three Greg's. I don't count the pilots with fame but I guess that I could. If I did so I'd have to add Richard/Dick to this. Off the top of my head, Dick Karl,Richard L. Collins,Richard Fullerton,etc.

Greg's would get a boost with the late Greg Poe

Capt. Kirk
Capt. Morgan
Capt. D.B.Cooper

You left out my favorite. Capt. Crunch!

Well, the guy on Ax Men who fly's the heli (or so i'm told, I've never seen it) name is also Bart, who coincidentally keeps the heli in the hangar across from mine at times during the year.

I'm a Matt. Two of the last 3 or 4 CFIs I've flown with are also Matts.

Well, the guy on Ax Men who fly's the heli (or so i'm told, I've never seen it) name is also Bart, who coincidentally keeps the heli in the hangar across from mine at times during the year.

Off topic but, Hi Dale! I am the REAL Rusty Shackleford. I am the Government.

Nice "name" :D:rofl:

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if there was another pilot named "Ghery". :D

And if there is, I want to meet him. Where the heck did that spelling come from, anyway?

Actually I do know that one! I used to have a couple of their albums before but they melted in a house fire. I still have Born in East LA,Far Out Man, and Up in Smoke though.
HEEEYYYYY. DOUBLE BUBBLE!!!

Greg's would get a boost with the late Greg Poe

When I was pretty heavy into the airshow /fly in circuit a few years ago it seems as if we were always displayed close, mine a static display and him, probably the best airshow pilot I have ever met and been around... RIP, Greg.

Ben.

and Capt. Kangaroo!

We used to go to the same church.... no kidding! Good ol Bob Keeshan. Used to run into him at various restaurants for Sunday brunch too.

Back