Pilot Interventions

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
Has anyone ever held one for a fellow pilot?

I have a friend who has decided to sell his plane because he "doesn't fly enough." Is it appropriate to have an intervention? We think he's making a big mistake. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Why not just discuss it with him? An "intervention" sounds like he has an underlying problem that needs to be addressed separately.

There are lots of good reasons to sell an aircraft when you're not using it enough, almost regardless of why you're not using it enough.

not enough info. how well do you really know this guy? has anyone simply tried talking to him yet? how do you know he doesn't have underlying issues that maybe he isn't comfortable discussing? is he selling a twin for dirt cheap? sorry, don't know where that question came from. yes I do.
I dunno, I think only you can answer this....maybe the guy has money issues or medical issues and if you put pressure on him to discuss it and he doesn't want to, that sounds like it would be bad. so, I dunno, either do it or maybe don't.

Offer to become a partner. The plane flies more. The fixed costs are split.

There may be another aspect to this that you have not considered.

I have learned that, even friends, rarely reveal their true motivations. The real reason they want to sell their plane may be other than what they are telling you. They may be reluctant to reveal their real reason due to insecurity, the need for acceptance, fear of ridicule, or the idea of being judged.

They may be saying "it's because I don't fly enough", while in reality there are more significant reasons that they may not want to share. Perhaps they have grown fearful, lost the passion, sick of the expenses, or the significant other has given them an ultimatum. Or a million other reasons your friend chooses not to discuss with you.

Putting them thru an intervention would be presumptuous. In fact it might ruin your friendship by putting the person in a position where they have to defend themselves.

If they are really your friend perhaps you should consider accepting what they say and support them in their decision?

So you're telling me this guy went through all the training, got his ticket, bought a plane, and now he's just decided to sell out of the blue?

I love being a member of POA! Thank you for the valuable input. PS - I'm holding an intervention this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

You can probably get some pointers from the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Airplanes) and PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Airplanes).

Political correctness may have changed PETA to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of AIRCRAFT). Ditto for the ASPCA…

So you're telling me this guy went through all the training, got his ticket, bought a plane, and now he's just decided to sell out of the blue?

About 15 years ago I went to purchase an experimental plane that was mostly finished. When I got there I found a plane that was exquisitely built but still had a few items to be completed before the DAR could be called. As I sat in the plane with the builder I had to ask why he would want to sell such a fine piece of work before completing it and/or flying it.

He hinted at the fact that he was taking lessons and learned "flying wasn't for him". I gathered from talking with him that perhaps his training had put him into a situation that scared the life out of him (nasty wing drop or perhaps the plane rolling inverted?) and he had made the decision to not pursue flying any further.

He was a great guy and was thrilled when I finished the plane, got the AW and began flying it. I offered to fly it over to him and take him for a ride in it but he politely declined, a couple of times.

I almost started one for a flight instructor who had a bat *** crazy girlfriend that was wrecking his life. But instead I just picked on him about it incessantly.

For every friend selling because he doesn't fly enough, there is another friend buying so he can fly more. Circle of life.
I can attest to that! Earlier this year I had a deposit down for the Air Plains 180 conversion. One day a friend called and asked if I wanted to buy his Skylane. He got out of aviation and back into biking and hasn't looked back. Air Plains graciously refunded my deposit and my bird sold for $25k more than I paid 15 years ago. Now I have a bigger motor, my wife likes the extra roominess, and I get speed and capability that my Skyhawk didn't have. Win win...

Back