Pilot incapacitation and modern AP with Level button

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Lets talk about this scenario and for the sake of this discussion lets keep the chute and AutoLand out of this. they are cool and all, but lets stick to a scenario with a 40 year old plane with modern AP. I have no experience with these kind of APs other than reading a manual of GFC 500

So the pilot is incapacitated, the pax have some experience in the right seat, knows which button to push, can talk on the radio, tune frequencies and all.

the plane is at say 5500, pax pushes the Level bottom or it engages itself. what are the possible scenarios:

1. If pax is not talking with ATC and receives no instructions
The plane keeps flying, eventually runs out of gas, airspeed starts to decline, minimum speed protection kicks in at some point to lower the nose and stops you from stalling. under 500 feet ESP disconnects, but it has done its job and the plane is somewhat trimmed (would it?). i would think the landing would be survivable on a road / pavement barring any obstacle

2. Pax is talking to ATC, gets vectored to an airport.
Lets assume the pax knows OR is instructed on how to engage the AP and turn heading bug. sets IAS target to 70 on final approach and just cuts the throttle - i would think it will be a crappy landing and all, but definitely survivable. heck that landing might even be better than most of my landings.

3. other scenarios that i cant think of now

Thoughts? If you fly with your SO or a regular pax, have you briefed them on similar scenarios?

Once i get my plane back i am going to try a few things like cutting throttle at altitude, hit level and see what George does to protect me from decaying airspeed.

3. Pilot inputs a flight plan, loads an LPV approach, activates the GFC500 and sets up VNAV. Airplane flies itself to the FAF. ATC (or maybe there's a handwritten note in the cockpit) says "press the APR button and push/pull the black knob to maintain 70kts. When you are over the runway stripes, pull the red knob all the way back". Might be a flat landing or nosewheel prang, but with a long enough runway perhaps the pax will walk away uninjured.

So something very similar to this actually happened, scenario 1, and the pilot, who was attempting suicide, survived

guy took off, took a bunch of sleeping pills, and fell asleep. He woke up in the middle of a field when a police officer came to question him

It's a serious, yes, but no parachute or Auto Land.. just the DFC90 envelope protection

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employme...ev_id=20130410X32722&ntsbno=WPR13LA186&akey=1

makes me think of the story of Dan Bass
CO poisoned...woke up in a field. Plane 'landed' itself being trimmed nicely
very blessed and lucky...but still. The idea is plausible

Modern a/p and a quick instructional lap, it can be done. I showed my wife what to do then I didn’t help at all and she did it the next time around. While we didn’t take it to touchdown, I’m sure she would have lived (based on her performance in the sim a couple weeks ago).

1C5, I believe that's still the working home of our esteemed @bbchien. I ate at Charlies just before meeting with Bruce to wrap up some medical paperwork!

Kinda low key for an international airport o_O

Last edited:
One thing I would consider as a variable in this is the passenger. In the Dan Bass CO2 incident, he was the only person on board and passed out from level flight to kinda parked in a field. In other words, he didn't provide any input. If a passenger gets scared and starts yanking and banking all bets are off as to how it will end. Other things to consider are weather and turbulence. I imagine in the clouds the passenger is more likely to not trust the instruments/AP and end up providing un-needed input. Heck, as a newly minted VFR pilot knowing what I know, I also know that I don't know everything and I'm not sure how fast my brain would switch from smart choices to poor decisions in the soup.

Back