Pilot Getaways Magazine?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Anyone recieve this pub? Comments? Looking for an aviation magazine that will help me discover those interesting places to visit via GA aircraft.

Bill, check out their web site at http://www.pilotgetaways.com. It has some sample articles and you can go back many issues and look at the run of resorts they feature. That'll give you some idea whether it's focused in the direction you're wanting.

We get that mag. I haven't noticed that its for the 'jet set' as a few of the locations are dirt strips with no facilities! Some are a bit on the high end. Something for almost everyone. Lots of info, we enjoy reading it and planning places to go.

Ken Ibold said:
Bill, check out their web site at http://www.pilotgetaways.com. It has some sample articles and you can go back many issues and look at the run of resorts they feature. That'll give you some idea whether it's focused in the direction you're wanting.

Thanks, Ken, I'll give their site a look.

The Books A Million bookstore down in Charleston, WV sold them. I bought one every once in a while and enjoyed them. I also like their website. In fact, I'm glad you brought it up and reminded me of it, might be worth subscribing to.

Bill,
Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of back issues. I've been getting the mag for about two years and the jury is still out. I guess before renewal time I'll decide if I like it or not!

Anthony said:
I used to get it when I lived back east. Ironically, IIRC most of the spots they recommended where in the west and to more of the jet set crowd. My impression was that the destinations they recommended were VERY high end resorts and spas and often a golfing destination. OK for a special occassion or dedicated vacation, but normally not my cup of tea. YMMV and they may have changed since I was getting the mag.

Anthony, I think you might be mixing up magazines. There is one out there that is decidely only for the well off. Pilot Adventure maybe Flying Adventures, something like that. 'Pilot Micheal' went here and there.

Pilot Getaways is great. I'm a charter subscriber. When they first started it was all out west. They they merged with a backcoutry mag and added a monthly remote strip. They have gradually started to cover the whole country with a good mix of moderately expensive to cheap flights. They wrote up the Colorado Pilots Delores point backcountry trip last year.

ejensen said:
Anthony, I think you might be mixing up magazines. There is one out there that is decidely only for the well off. Pilot Adventure maybe Flying Adventures, something like that. 'Pilot Micheal' went here and there.

Pilot Getaways is great. I'm a charter subscriber. When they first started it was all out west. They they merged with a backcoutry mag and added a monthly remote strip. They have gradually started to cover the whole country with a good mix of moderately expensive to cheap flights. They wrote up the Colorado Pilots Delores point backcountry trip last year.

You know Eric, I think you might be right. Its been a while since I got the mag I'm thinking about, so I'll edit my original post.

Last edited:
I subscribe. It's a decent publication. They had a write up about the Corsair Cafe at Pine Mountain lake in the current issue. They forgot to mention how slow the place is. :)

Can't get enough of this magazine.
Great destinations... good info...
They just went from 4 publications per year to 6.
I keep them for reference.

phil

Paul Allen said:
Bill,
Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of back issues. I've been getting the mag for about two years and the jury is still out. I guess before renewal time I'll decide if I like it or not!

Paul, thanks for the back issues, and the Mooney mags as well. Honestly, I'll probably get more enjoyment out of the Mooney stuff (like those planes)

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill Jennings said:
Paul, thanks for the back issues, and the Mooney mags as well. Honestly, I'll probably get more enjoyment out of the Mooney stuff (like those planes)

Thanks again,

Bill

I guess you know what kind of airpalne is in my hanger. Check your mail, I found a couple more issues.

A great magazine..(red board x-post)

One thing I was looking for in the flying world was a magazine similiar to what I used to get when I was a motorcyclist (RoadRunner). It was a magazine about places to go, with details about the area, hotels, eats, sights, etc. My favorite sailing rag has that too (Lattitudes and Attitudes).

Well I have found one for flying: Pilot Getaways.

What a fun magazine that makes me want to take a plane to fun destinations, combining the wonderful world of flying with cool places.

It is only bi-monthly right now :( but I imagine they get big enough they can get it to go monthly. They have treated me stellar so far (my first issue was destroyed in the mail, they send another, in a protective sleeve, for free).

I get nothing for this post, I do not work for them or know anyone there, but if you have a wanderlust in your aviator's heart I recommend you check it out: http://www.pilotgetaways.com/

Re: A great magaine..(red board x-post)

I like that one too. I'll probably never go to any places (by private plane) mentioned in their magazines, but it is nice to dream.

I like that one too. I'll probably never go to any places (by private plane) mentioned in their magazines, but it is nice to dream.

I am already planning for a trip down to Florida based on it (for next year of course).

To be honest though, half of the fun IS reading about places I may never go.

I've already been to a couple of places featured in that magazine, including Flyinn New Zealand. Great stuff. They also have small featurettes on restaurants and the like. That's how I found out about El Greco at Timmerman (Milwaukee).

I am looking to buy past issues of Pilot Getaways. If you have any you would like to part with, please E-mail me at prporter1@aim.com. Thank you.

Hello, I am looking for past issues of Pilot Getaways. If you have any you would be willing to part with, I can be reached at prporter1@aim.com. Thank you in advance. :)

Nice magazine- I don't know if I'll get to the places they mention, but it is nice to dream.

They also don't mention the places I CAN get to on my budget- like Wahoo, NE; Crete, NE; or Council Bluffs, IA :)

I like my subscription.

Ditto, a great mag. Also, looking for fun places to go:
http://www.100dollarhamburger.com/
Also a subscription, but cheap enought and a pretty reasonable database.

Go to Adventurepilot.com. It is still free and is not stealing the reviews from the submitters and then selling them. Sorry I have a real gripe with what 100dollarhamburger did with closing down the site and making it subscription only.

Go to Adventurepilot.com. It is still free and is not stealing the reviews from the submitters and then selling them. Sorry I have a real gripe with what 100dollarhamburger did with closing down the site and making it subscription only.

Concur.

I like my PG subscription. It's one of those magazines that is still quite useful a couple of years after you get it! I've even managed to go to some of the places they have written about!

The Pilot Get Aways' articles written by Mike Sidders are particularly good, and great places to fly too.

...and putting a (C) on the web content that he didn't write and publishing the content in a book with a (C) on it that he didn't write.

50,000 subscribers though. *right*

The Pilot Get Aways' articles written by Mike Sidders are particularly good, and they're great places to fly too.

Long time subscriber. Great magazine. I don't know if I'll ever get to 10% of the destinations, but I can dream! In every issue, there are places to go for the entire spectrum: Bizjet, light GA, Bush pilot.

They did a write-up of Jonesy's Steakhouse at Napa Airport. When I was out there last year, I flew my Dad there and we had a great time -- loved their steak sandwich and signiture famous hash browns. If it weren't for Pilot Getaways, I never would have heard about it.

The information they provide concerning airspace & procedures is excellent. Plus the hotels, transporation, things to see in the vicinity. I like Adventure Pilot but it has nothing along those lines like Pilot Getaways. But it's Apples and Oranges. I like Adventure PIlot for its ability to search a route for interesting places along the way, including the all-important on-field restaurants! Hard to do that in a stack of magazines.

Long time subscriber. Great magazine. I don't know if I'll ever get to 10% of the destinations, but I can dream!

I've received a few copies here and there and we (my wife and I) have always enjoyed the articles but not subscribed. Changed that today. Went to their website, and got a 2-year gift subscription... the magazines will come addressed to my wife (planting ideas for flying trips). :yes:

I like the magazine. I happened to see an issue for free once. I liked it so much that I purchased all the back issues they had. I'm still plowing thru them all, but the articles are mostly well done.

Does anyone have back Issues of Pilot Getaways That they would like to part with? I would like to purchase back issues. You can E-mail me at prporter1@aim.com directly. Thank you.

Does anyone have back Issues of Pilot Getaways That they would like to part with? I would like to purchase back issues. You can E-mail me at prporter1@aim.com directly. Thank you.

That oughta be a clue right there - three posts asking for back issues, and (I suspect) no takers.
FYI Pilot getaways sells back issues, check their mag or website. I started subscribing when it was mostly about flying backcountry in the west, then they merged and content has actually improved. Lots of locations I may never make, but several I have.

Yeah, this is one of those magazines that I KEEP! Great to look through periodically for destination ideas.

Back