Just got a letter from

H.K. Everett,
Manager, Airmen Certificate Branch of the FAA,

stating that:

{SUMMARIZED}

Congress and the President have enacted
The Aviation Investment and Reform Act.

Section 715, requires the FAA to make
airmens addresses available to the public.

for more info, See:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/hr1000/

Isn't that especially Wonderful! ! ! !

Now every Junk mailer will have access to our
postal mail home addresses, in addition to our email addy's!!

Oh yeah, you can opt out too, or enter an address other than your home address (?)

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/update_address/

But if you do... (and again I quote)

"....you may not receive important aviation information from aviation associations and industry concerning safety, flying techniques,new products, regulatory positions, or aviation related events."

"...but you will still receive info produced and mailed by the FAA"

quote from the letter: (emphasis; mine)

" Please be assured that your name, arrdess, and ratings held,are the
only information that will be made available if you allow release.
In addition, you may also choose to have a mailing address different
than your home address maintained by the FAA"

[rant on]

W. T. F??
Whatever happened to JUST subscribing to stuff that you ACTUALLY WANTED to receive???

'Opt out', is fine for telemarketing, so you won't be interupted during dinner...

But having to opt out of newly generated junk mail too?? Just because the public is privvy now to your name, and home address??
Where has protection of privacy gone??
And yes my address is private.

I don't advertise to the general public, in any way shape or form that I live at.....(my address)

I have an unlisted phone.
But they got to that too with an auto dialer, and I had to opt out...

We have to stop this microscopic chipping away of our rights to live, unfettered by:
junk advertisers, and video cameras in public places, and.....Social security #'s as ID verification, and the ease of identity theft!

[Rant off]

Airman addresses have been public for a long time. I have a PO Box because of that, and my certificate number is not my SSN. I would strongly recommend that anybody who has a certificate with their SSN, request a new certificate with the new-style numbers.

They had been available for along time. Then after 9/11 they were restricted supposedly to help prevent people from pretending to be pilots. You would have to submit identification to obtain airmen records from the FAA. This annoyed a lot of legitimate aviation businesses that would get the pilot database to send them direct marketing materials. Those business requested that the database be made public again and it is my understanding that was done almost two years ago.

I can throw away junk mail. I just don't want my E-mail address sold. I have enough problems with those trying to push penny stocks. And, since they are for small stocks the SEC won't pursue a serious investigation.

Although, I was somewhat curious about the idea when I looked at a couple. One went from a nickel to $1.15 two days later. I'll just go with my Roth. :goofy:

I can throw away junk mail. I just don't want my E-mail address sold. I have enough problems with those trying to push penny stocks. And, since they are for small stocks the SEC won't pursue a serious investigation.

Although, I was somewhat curious about the idea when I looked at a couple. One went from a nickel to $1.15 two days later. I'll just go with my Roth. :goofy:

I throw away junk mail too, but it is adding up to about 1-2 hours per month of MY time to open all those credit card apps and shred the card or checks inside and then recycle the other paper and envelope. I hate Capital One, they're the worst for me.

Am I too cautious in shredding all those CC apps & gratuitous credit cards?

I throw away junk mail too, but it is adding up to about 1-2 hours per month of MY time to open all those credit card apps and shred the card or checks inside and then recycle the other paper and envelope. I hate Capital One, they're the worst for me.

Am I too cautious in shredding all those CC apps & gratuitous credit cards?
No, I do it too. I admit though, I don't even bother opening the envelope. I hate not recycling, but I throw the entire envelope right into the shredder.

No, I do it too. I admit though, I don't even bother opening the envelope. I hate not recycling, but I throw the entire envelope right into the shredder.
Then recycle it. Paper from the shreader has made me a very lazy fire starter

The point is shouldn't the Government begin with "OPT OUT" rather than make the records public? Give us a choice in who they give or sell OUR information to. I do care who has my residential address.

And the business world must be sensitive to the rash of junk mail. Staples recently advertised a small shredder that'll shred thickly-stuffed envelopes and CDs. Is the latter a reference to the multitude of Internet-related "free use for XX days" CDs which keep coming? My older shredder seems to choke on more than four or five sheets.

HR

And the business world must be sensitive to the rash of junk mail. Staples recently advertised a small shredder that'll shred thickly-stuffed envelopes and CDs. Is the latter a reference to the multitude of Internet-related "free use for XX days" CDs which keep coming? My older shredder seems to choke on more than four or five sheets.

HR
Yeah, I've got a heavy duty one that will handle 15 sheets, CDs, and credit cards. These latter items are why I can't recycle the shredded paper, since it contains plastic.

In addition, you may also choose to have a mailing address different
than your home address maintained by the FAA"

[rant on]

And the government agent who wrote the above text should know that "You may also choose to have a mailing address different from your home address," not different than.

I hate reading official documents with unofficial preparation.

[rant off] :rolleyes:

HR

One junk mail strategy I've heard of (no opinion as to the legality of the practice or whether it would have an impact if enough people did it) is to take all those prepaid return envelopes and drop them in a mailbox - at least that way, the junk mailers have to pay for the postage.

One junk mail strategy I've heard of (no opinion as to the legality of the practice or whether it would have an impact if enough people did it) is to take all those prepaid return envelopes and drop them in a mailbox - at least that way, the junk mailers have to pay for the postage.

I've heard, but don't know for sure if it's true, that if you write anything, anything at all, on the material you stuff back in the envelope, then it constitutes a reply and is legal.

Several aviation vendors pushed heavily for the pilot addresses to be made available to them "for reasons of safety." They didn't want the opt-out option.

Which ones? Which ones start have stuff in your mailbox within weeks of your student pilot certificate/medical being filled out...and send more every 3 weeks thereafter?

Last edited:

I've been doing this for years. Just tear up the inserts and stuff them into the reply envelope. Over the past 6 months or so I also include inserts from other mailings (i.e. power company) into the unsolicited cc mailings.
My trash man has been pleased with my decision and action :yes:

It's nice having a fireplace!

--Kath

It's nice having a fireplace!

--Kath
I love my fireplace, but it's gas fed. The shedder, however, safisfied my need for destruction.
PS: Stuffing envelopes sounds like a good idea but be sure nothing, absolutely nothing, has your name or address on it. That would be like pouring blood into the shark filled ocean.

I love my fireplace, but it's gas fed. The shedder, however, safisfied my need for destruction.
PS: Stuffing envelopes sounds like a good idea but be sure nothing, absolutely nothing, has your name or address on it. That would be like pouring blood into the shark filled ocean.

Even then. They can get your DNA from where you licked the envelope shut and then run that through the NSA's database and the next thing you know you're subscribed to the book club with the negative opt out and there's this month's selection...

:rolleyes:

Due to the Freedom of Information Act and other laws there is very little a government agency can kept from the public. For instance, I work for the Forest Service and if requested (and we have been) we have to give out the name and addresses of our grazing permittees. That said, we don't have to make it easy by posting on a web site.

Back