Pilot Error - Aborted Takeoff

To me-it seems clunky using an iPad for checklists. I prefer a paper checklist. lucky there wasn’t a soft spot there to dig into an nose over
Good lesson though!

Do parking brakes ever actually do any good in light aircraft? Is any inspection of tires & brakes necessary after you drag them up to 50kts?

Aborted takeoff - Point Roberts, Washington (1RL)

Thanks for the video. I've always wanted to try flying in there, but my club doesn't allow operations on grass. I did drive there once, to see what the condition of the strip looked like.

Do parking brakes ever actually do any good in light aircraft? Is any inspection of tires & brakes necessary after you drag them up to 50kts?
I’ve actually found them to be quite effective. Not much different than trying to drive with the emergency brake on in your car. The wheels still roll whether it’s engaged or not.

Do parking brakes ever actually do any good in light aircraft?
Yes, but some brakes are better than others. Had he been in any other airplane besides a Piper, the parking brake would never have been an issue because any application of toe brakes would release the parking brake.

For me the iPad checklist works great. It was me that wasn't working so great.
If you are happy with the electronic checklist, that's fine, but a little advice on checklists of any kind - complete your runup and pre-takeoff checklist BEFORE you taxi into position. That will help you avoid situations where you might have left the parking brake on.

When you line up on the runway to depart, you want to have your head on a swivel - not down messing with the iPad.

Even in complicated airplanes like twins and jets, we aren't head down in the checklist when we enter the runway environment.

Yes, at idle the airplane will roll without brakes. Even at 1st notch, parking brake will keep airplane from rolling. I inspected the brakes after the incident. No sign of adverse wear.

Yes, at idle the airplane will roll without brakes. Even at 1st notch, parking brake will keep airplane from rolling. I inspected the brakes after the incident. No sign of adverse wear.
If that had caused adverse wear, you’d have bigger problems with your brakes.

I’d also not consider this a “soft field”. Based on the video, it seemed quite firm.

Last edited:
I’ve actually found them to be quite effective. Not much different than trying to drive with the emergency brake on in your car. The wheels still roll whether it’s engaged or not.
What purpose do they serve that isn't met by chocks or tie downs without the risk of inadvertent activation?

Saw a jet try an takeoff with parking brake set once. Got halfway down runway.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-19_17-58-30.png
    upload_2020-12-19_17-58-30.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 172
Every so often a guy forgets to release the brakes for a catapult shot... usually winds up with the callsign “boom boom”, which is precisely the sound of the mains, pressurized to about 300 lbs, blowing.

Doesn’t affect the end speed at all so it seems.

For a Cherokee, why intentionally apply parking brake partially, at just one click/first notch?
Instead, consider setting parking brake either fully ON or fully OFF.

For a Cherokee, why intentionally apply parking brake partially, at just one click/first notch?
Instead, consider setting parking brake either fully ON or fully OFF.

Very good point. What’s the perceived value in using ‘just a little’ parking brake?

If the airplane’s parking brake won’t hold for a run up, then I don’t use the parking brake.

Every so often a guy forgets to release the brakes for a catapult shot... usually winds up with the callsign “boom boom”, which is precisely the sound of the mains, pressurized to about 300 lbs, blowing.

Doesn’t affect the end speed at all so it seems.
Does that make for an interesting landing?

Actually usually not. Never blew a tire at the boat, but blew a few at the beach, completely uneventful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back