Pilot displaying dangerous behavior.

S

SUnders

Need to report a pilot on drugs ( non approved ) exhibiting dangerous violence provoking erratic behavior without revealing my name.Can this be done? If so how. what are the consequences.
This guy should not be flying in my opinion.His judgement poses a risk to everyone.

First of all, if it's not important enough, and you don't believe it enough to own it, as in put your name on it, it's not important enough to talk about, periord.

Second, have you brought this up with the person in question and tired to resolve your concerns?

If you're willing to put your name on it, and if you have spoken to the person in question about your concerns, if you HONESTLY believe that this person poses a threat to others and they are unwilling to stop whatever it is they are doing, well contact your FSDO

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

That said, the only situation I could think of that you wouldn't want your name on this, would be if you're not comming from a honorable position on this thing, and might be worried about a justified lawsuit or old fashion ass whoppin for making trouble for someone over what you know is really nothing, I hope that ain't the case, but if you're going to be putting someone's ass in the fire, have the honor to own it.

its lovely idea in principle to put my name on itI would be most happy to under certain conditions. My family wouldn't appreciate this ,as I would get fired from my job. So your lovely ideals are not going to help anyone that way. Enabling continuation of this behavior because of a perceived malice toward an individual cannot result in a positive outcome either.
I have seen this individual fight people over the drugs to the point of blood being spilled. Discretion is required.There are laws like HIPA that prohibit public disclosure of known medical conditions. There is also the family violence to consider. In the meantime we have a Captain who may auger into the ground with a residual drug in his system . The idea is to discreetly get help. The idea is to perform an intervention of some sort to offer help, not to be hurtful. It helps no one if we both lose our jobs. We both know pilots can be sober. I just don't know how to get this guy help. i'm trying to save this guy's life not ruin it. It's going to be a police matter soon. I would prefer to head off the train wreck before it plows into the station. But I thank you for your response. IF you have any other ideas, i'm listening.If you know anyone who has successfully gone through this I would love to hear from them.I am trying to do something good for someone who is descending into the grip of addiction.
Thank you kindly

Lastly the person is violent and in denial and i'd get fired. I offered the wife some good advice, BUt he is another matter entirely.

If he's a captain, I'm guessing he's 121/135? so he's on a drug screening protocol, perhaps a anonymous phone call to the chief pilot, if he's got drug issues to the point you are describing I'd imagine he'll pee hot on the test.

So aside from having a internevtion and getting him to take a "vacation" and get help, not sure what else you could do, also what type of company would fire you for trying to prevent the type of situation you believe this is building up to?

121? Union? If yes, Professional Standards Committee could be a start. If real serious as you're implying I'd somehow get the info to the Chief Pilot. There's also an anonymous hotline to the FAA. Or call the FSDO.

It seems as if you both work for the same company, so go to your supervisor, HR, or whatever the channels might be for that company.

sure, no one has ever had problems when reporting illegal activities.

:rolleyes:

HIPAA laws aren't applicable here. Even if you were a covered entity that's responsible for this pilot's PHI, you can still release this information if a serious threat to the public exists. Report it to the supervisor and they should initiate a "reasonable suspicion" drug test.

Last edited:
sounds like this guy may be OP's su
It seems as if you both work for the same company, so go to your supervisor, HR, or whatever the channels might be for that company.
What if the guy in question is OP's supervisor, or superior...

I agree with OP. I wouldn't get my name in front of it either, and would do it anonymously. There could be lasting repercussions. Some professions have an unwritten code (a bunch of nonsense btw) that you don't rat on your co-workers, even if you know it to be justified. Like cops for example, even if the guy is the worst of the worst, any other cop that reports him is labeled a rat and basically ostracized forever, and might as well quit. I think OP is afraid of that kind of thing in his job.

Sounds like small time 135 or 91 to me - 121 guys (and large 135 or 91) should already be well aware of the appropriate channels.

The good news is that with all the hiring going on, there's less reason to feel trapped in an ugly situation.

sounds like this guy may be OP's su

What if the guy in question is OP's supervisor, or superior...

I agree with OP. I wouldn't get my name in front of it either, and would do it anonymously. There could be lasting repercussions. Some professions have an unwritten code (a bunch of nonsense btw) that you don't rat on your co-workers, even if you know it to be justified. Like cops for example, even if the guy is the worst of the worst, any other cop that reports him is labeled a rat and basically ostracized forever, and might as well quit. I think OP is afraid of that kind of thing in his job.

I can understand someone not ratting out a coworker for a minor procedural error or oversight but the described event is so far beyond that level that not reporting it also deserves to be reported. I am curious as to how many flights the guy has worked since the OP and possibly others first observed his misconduct.

If this guy is half as bad as you make him out to be, someone else will surely blow the whistle.

If this guy is half as bad as you make him out to be, someone else will surely blow the whistle.

Or they won't, and he'll take a plane full of people down with him and part of that will be on the shoulders of our anonymous OP who values his job over the safety of others. I have a very difficult time understanding how someone could get fired over reporting this, unless they are involved at some criminal level or doing something shady that means they also deserve to get fired.

Or they won't, and he'll take a plane full of people down with him and part of that will be on the shoulders of our anonymous OP who values his job over the safety of others. I have a very difficult time understanding how someone could get fired over reporting this, unless they are involved at some criminal level or doing something shady that means they also deserve to get fired.
Knew this was coming. Not scrutinizing this man's scruples, don't care.

I'm not airline or charter, but if I showed up for work stoned out of my gord, I doubt I'd make it to preflight before someone called me out.

I'm not airline or charter, but if I showed up for work stoned out of my gord, I doubt I'd make it to preflight before someone called me out.

First off, I'm assuming the OP post is fake. But, let's pretend it's not... for the sake of argument -

Many true addicts are really good at hiding their addictions. Unless you really know the person and what to look for, depending on the drug, you'd never know they are high. Additionally, you assume the person is showing up stoned. Maybe they are smart enough to wait until they are on the plane.

Apparently there are some pilots able make it through the preflight drunk. Just google "drunk pilot"... next to a picture of @SixPapaCharlie , you'll find plenty of news articles. They don't get busted til later. Makes you wonder how many don't get busted at all.

Media, zero faith.

For 135, 121, even scenic fights, you have to do random drug/booze tests, I'm not much of a addict/weak minded, but from what I hear, I doubt a real addict could do without their poison of choice to avoid every random screening.

OP, call your local FSDO. They are more than happy to receive anonymous safety tips.

First of all, if it's not important enough, and you don't believe it enough to own it, as in put your name on it, it's not important enough to talk about, periord.

Second, have you brought this up with the person in question and tired to resolve your concerns?

If you're willing to put your name on it, and if you have spoken to the person in question about your concerns, if you HONESTLY believe that this person poses a threat to others and they are unwilling to stop whatever it is they are doing, well contact your FSDO

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

That said, the only situation I could think of that you wouldn't want your name on this, would be if you're not comming from a honorable position on this thing, and might be worried about a justified lawsuit or old fashion ass whoppin for making trouble for someone over what you know is really nothing, I hope that ain't the case, but if you're going to be putting someone's ass in the fire, have the honor to own it.
This is a serious jerkwad response to a pretty serious issue. There are a million factors in every situation like this l, I'm sure that there would be ramifications if he did so, and is just trying to avoid losing his job, or making somone who is dangerous angry at him.

This is a serious jerkwad response to a pretty serious issue. There are a million factors in every situation like this l, I'm sure that there would be ramifications if he did so, and is just trying to avoid losing his job, or making somone who is dangerous angry at him.

And there should be,
if it's not what he says it is, and he almost, or does costs ANOTHER person their job/career/livelihood/reputation, then there should be harsh repercussions, such as HIS job being on the line, or him getting blackballed.

Now if the situation is as dire as he claims, he's got nothing to worry about.

If this dude he's talking about is walking onto the flight line, or even into the office high, I don't know one operator who would cover for the guy, he's risking the pax, the companies aircraft, the companies certificate... as in EVERYONES job as well as the companies, well company.. yeah, ain't no one going to have love for that azz hat. But again, if that is the case, you should have ZERO issue owning it.

First deal with the man, and own it

Then try to keep it in the company, and own it

Then the government, and own it

Thank you.

I worked at a place once and a pilot showed up very hungover, and probably above the BAC limit for pilots. It almost developed into a fist fight trying to convince this guy to go home and call in sick. Only when we told him this will be his last day as a pilot did he finally agree to go home. After a couple weeks we got the guy to self confess and go through company sponsored alcohol treatment. Last I heard from him, about 4 years ago, him and his wife reconciled and were doing well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back