Pilot / Copilot Intercom Inop on hot days.

LAviator

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LAviator
Started 2 months ago, never had this problem, When weather gets really hot pilot and copilot no longer can hear each other over the intercom. I tried everything to Troubleshoot this problem no luck.

Audio Panel is PMA 6000M-C in good condition.
http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma6000.shtml

Could be cables? plugs? any ideas?

Can you borrow one that you know is working?

Based only on what you've written, it sounds like the electronics are overheating. Back in the dark ages of electronics (when I did stuff like this) we used to get a aerosol can of something called "freezeit" (or similar). You could spray it on the part you suspected and cool it right down to see if it then worked. Might be worth a try. I'd guess the actual stuff we used is now a banned chemical, but there should be an alternative...

Based only on what you've written, it sounds like the electronics are overheating. Back in the dark ages of electronics (when I did stuff like this) we used to get a aerosol can of something called "freezeit" (or similar). You could spray it on the part you suspected and cool it right down to see if it then worked. Might be worth a try. I'd guess the actual stuff we used is now a banned chemical, but there should be an alternative...
The wart removal freezing spray should work.

Wouldn't a can of air (air Duster) work as well? Sprayed at an angle it freezes, probably cheaper than wart spray and less corrosive.

Wouldn't a can of air (air Duster) work as well? Sprayed at an angle it freezes, probably cheaper than wart spray and less corrosive.

If it gets cold like that, yes.

Check your charging system. Had this happen on buddys 182. Now in for new alternator

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

Check your charging system. Had this happen on buddys 182. Now in for new alternator

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Ask your buddy how the mechanic or shop figured out it was an alternator. "Intercom not working, you need a new alternator. Panel light burned out, you need a new alternator. Wife bitching in the right seat, you need a new alternator." Seen it, heard it, pick the most expensive thing to replace and when that didn't fix it, start throwing other parts at the problem starting with an expensive battery and going down the list from there.

Jim

Question: does your audio panel have a adjustable VOX. If so, if you set it all the way to a live intercom mic does it work then?

Also, does the intercom power up, do backlights work, can you hear other comms thru it, did you plug something into back then like a audio player, etc.

We had a intercom problem a while back where stack items were removed. The only thing that didn't work was the intercom. Turned out there was a small piece of metal that shorted out just that circuit. Maybe you can remove the panel, look at it and slowly turn it over and around and listen for any objects rattling around.

I had an intercom problem the other day. I set the pilot isolate switch to isolate and couldn't figure out why it was doing its job. :)

Always check the simple stuff first.

Ask your buddy how the mechanic or shop figured out it was an alternator. "Intercom not working, you need a new alternator. Panel light burned out, you need a new alternator. Wife bitching in the right seat, you need a new alternator." Seen it, heard it, pick the most expensive thing to replace and when that didn't fix it, start throwing other parts at the problem starting with an expensive battery and going down the list from there.

Jim
Still had original generator pal.

Definitely time to replace. But I'll tell him weirdjim the internet A&P thought it was a waste of money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wart spray is just propane. Not corrosive at all.

Back