Pilot apps on iPhones vs Droids

jlwilson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joyce
Hi Guys,

I have an iPhone 4 that I got because of all the cool pilot apps. Now my contract is up and the decision is between the iPhone 5 (unless I hold out until spring for the elusive 5s) or go to the Droid platform. I'd really like to hear your thoughts and are there cool apps in the Droid platform for pilots?

Thanks guys!

Joyce

Hi Guys,

I have an iPhone 4 that I got because of all the cool pilot apps. Now my contract is up and the decision is between the iPhone 5 (unless I hold out until spring for the elusive 5s) or go to the Droid platform. I'd really like to hear your thoughts and are there cool apps in the Droid platform for pilots?

The vast majority of apps are on both platforms. I can only think of one off hand that is on iOS that isn't on Android. Biggest difference, literally, is the size of the screens available. Only you can decide if your comfort level with the Apple product is outweighed by larger screens on Android. I think it's a Ford vs. Chevy (with some larger Chevy's!) debate. Both make great phones.

Is ForeFlight compatible on the Droid as well? Thanks!

Nope...that's the biggest hole, but any of the EFB apps are not great on a phone. The 7" tablets are, in my opinions, probably the smallest practical side. There's a freebie chart app called Avare that does the trick for me as a simple "Where am I in the Class B rings" app on my Android.

Shucks. I guess it's not a real big deal. The only reason I use ForeFlight on my phone is to file a flight plan and check weather. Is there a filing program like ForeFlight or Duats on the Droid?

Thanks for all your help and info!

Shucks. I guess it's not a real big deal. The only reason I use ForeFlight on my phone is to file a flight plan and check weather. Is there a filing program like ForeFlight or Duats on the Droid?

Yep. For filing and weather checking, there are a number available for both platforms, including AOPA's recently-added free FlyQ which will do both.

There are also more extensive apps (limited by the small screen) like Garmin's Pilot (which will work on both platforms) and Avilution.

Yes, there are several Android apps that let you gather weather and file flight plans.

FWIW - Don't hold out for a "5s" in "the spring." Generally, the iPhone release cycle is once per year, and the iPhone 5 just came out in October. I wouldn't expect the iPhone 5s, 6, or whatever they call it to be announced until at least September of next year.

Back